2020 Transfer Thread | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Transfer Thread

Don't want to get anyone too excited but Syracuse would be a very logical option if he decides to play elsewhere this year.

1) Final Four contenders
2) close to home
3) They start classes later than most other top programs
4) He went to high school with Trimboli

Every team will want him. I think most ACC and Big Ten teams will be in play, plus Denver (where Morrill already transferred) and Georgetown. Maryland and PSU make some sense. Hopkins because Pete Milliman knows the Ierlan family already from recruiting Chayse. Duke, UNC, UVA also likely players here. Not as much ND because they just got Gallagher.

Don't want to get anyone too excited but Syracuse would be a very logical option if he decides to play elsewhere this year.

1) Final Four contenders
2) close to home

Every team will want him. I think most ACC and Big Ten teams will be in play, plus Denver (where Morrill already transferred) and Georgetown. Maryland and PSU make some sense. Hopkins because Pete Milliman knows the Ierlan family already from recruiting Chayse. Duke, UNC, UVA also likely players here. Not as much ND because they just got Gallagher.

All good points. Believe Trimboli and he are close in addition to being former classmates. Have to imagine with time ticking down familiarity would have to play a role on some level.

Out of top teams SU might have best face off situation with Phaup and Varello who is coming back for fifth year. Obviously you don’t say no Irelan but feels worth pointing out.

Curious to see if this starts a trend, and if the flood gates open on Ivy players. Irelan and Teat are only 5th year players that I know of but can’t imagine others will be happy to lose another year of eligibility while others are playing.

Not only is he friends with Trimboli from their HS days but he’s pretty tight with a few other ‘Cuse players & has visited campus a couple times during his college career to hang out.

From this past summer, 24:45 mark he mentions attending ‘Cuse games growing up & dreaming of playing there. Come home, T.D.

1) Final Four contenders
2) close to home

Good post, I think most of those team would normally be viable options but I think at this point the actual landing spots for Ierlan would be limited for a few reasons.

1. I assume Ierlan is looking for a team that is going to challenge for a title ( I could be wrong on this of course) if that true it eliminates about 85% of the D1 programs. Even a team like Hopkins who is in a semi rebuild at least from a D standpoint would seem unlikely to land Ierlan.

2. With COVID and most schools bringing back their 5th year players, there is likely limited funds available for a lot of schools or the playing time even for a guy like Ierlan simply isn't there. Perfect example is Penn State. On paper it make sense but with Arceri already there I can't see it. Ditto ND which you already mentioned. Even Duke has to be up against it financially and already brought in a FOGO transfer. UVA was mentioned previously as being tapped out financially, they seem unlikely as well.

As far as likely destinations I think you nailed a few of them. Maryland and Gtown make a lot of sense. Not to far and both teams rated highly and primed for a run. Maryland especially seems like a good fit as unlike most years under Tillman I dont' think they have a dominant FOGO on the roster. From an ACC standpoint I think UNC is the only school besides SU that jumps out me. I don't see UVA or Duke being a fit as I noted above but never count out Duke. I don't see Denver being a fit based on distance and academics but again I wouldn't count them out 100%. Two dark horse schools - Rutty - would be exactly what they need but I think Ierlan is looking for an elite team. 2. Back to where it started with Scooby's. Unlikely based on how it ended but sometimes you can go home.

As far as our chances, I am not sure what the interest would be form both sides to be honest. Certainly Ierlan is an elite FOGO but SU didn't exactly struggle at the X last year and I have heard the staff is real high on the Frosh Savage. Ierlan has also passed on SU a couple times now so again not sure if he's looking to play here even though it does check a bunch of boxes.

Apologies if this has been discussed, but given the possibility of some team members leaving/being suspended, wouldn't this make the possibility of Ierlan coming here more of a possibility than some have posited in this thread?

Apologies if this has been discussed, but given the possibility of some team members leaving/being suspended, wouldn't this make the possibility of Ierlan coming here more of a possibility than some have posited in this thread?

Yes and No. From a roster and financial standpoint yes 100%, from an ability to challenge for a title a big NO.

Only if Varello and Phaup like parties. ;)

Good post, I think most of those team would normally be viable options but I think at this point the actual landing spots for Ierlan would be limited for a few reasons.

1. I assume Ierlan is looking for a team that is going to challenge for a title ( I could be wrong on this of course) if that true it eliminates about 85% of the D1 programs. Even a team like Hopkins who is in a semi rebuild at least from a D standpoint would seem unlikely to land Ierlan.

2. With COVID and most schools bringing back their 5th year players, there is likely limited funds available for a lot of schools or the playing time even for a guy like Ierlan simply isn't there. Perfect example is Penn State. On paper it make sense but with Arceri already there I can't see it. Ditto ND which you already mentioned. Even Duke has to be up against it financially and already brought in a FOGO transfer. UVA was mentioned previously as being tapped out financially, they seem unlikely as well.

As far as likely destinations I think you nailed a few of them. Maryland and Gtown make a lot of sense. Not to far and both teams rated highly and primed for a run. Maryland especially seems like a good fit as unlike most years under Tillman I dont' think they have a dominant FOGO on the roster. From an ACC standpoint I think UNC is the only school besides SU that jumps out me. I don't see UVA or Duke being a fit as I noted above but never count out Duke. I don't see Denver being a fit based on distance and academics but again I wouldn't count them out 100%. Two dark horse schools - Rutty - would be exactly what they need but I think Ierlan is looking for an elite team. 2. Back to where it started with Scooby's. Unlikely based on how it ended but sometimes you can go home.

As far as our chances, I am not sure what the interest would be form both sides to be honest. Certainly Ierlan is an elite FOGO but SU didn't exactly struggle at the X last year and I have heard the staff is real high on the Frosh Savage. Ierlan has also passed on SU a couple times now so again not sure if he's looking to play here even though it does check a bunch of boxes.
Justin Shockey was actually pretty hot last spring (.623). The Terps also have Connor Calderone, who was getting his feet wet last spring.

I don't know what the money situation is a UMd, but the Terps just added Jared Bernhardt.

Justin Shockey was actually pretty hot last spring (.623). The Terps also have Connor Calderone, who was getting his feet wet last spring.

I don't know what the money situation is a UMd, but the Terps just added Jared Bernhardt.

Ya good point about Bernhardt, that likely ate up a chunk of capital. Shockey was good last year but I recall him being up and down in his career at Maryland, yet Tillman might want to stick with what he knows/has already at this point versus adding another transfer.

Last edited:

Great points Jeremy. I wonder if Irelan would be expecting $ given the lateness of all this. Can’t remember any player transferring in for a single semester. Have to imagine there would have to be issues with the admissions office wherever he goes (big if he goes).

I think I’m higher on him going to Denver than you - he would know two of his teammates from Yale and they are pretty stacked on offense. I was surprised they landed Morrill and Cotler, there are so many factors we just don’t know about. Plus at this point I don’t think academics are factoring into his thinking much - are there single semester degrees he can get? Will he finish his degree?

One thing to consider is Denver has their first game the end of the month and UNC and Duke the first week in February. How long is he willing to give the Ivy League to make up their minds? As stated previously it must help a little that ‘Cuse is staring late (if he’s even considering them).

Feel like Tillman and co may have aspirations for higher than 62%.

If Cornell doesn’t play & Teat wants to transfer, I’d have to think that Milliman & Grant Jr. make Hopkins the likely destination.

Great points Jeremy. I wonder if Irelan would be expecting $ given the lateness of all this. Can’t remember any player transferring in for a single semester. Have to imagine there would have to be issues with the admissions office wherever he goes (big if he goes).

I think I’m higher on him going to Denver than you - he would know two of his teammates from Yale and they are pretty stacked on offense. I was surprised they landed Morrill and Cotler, there are so many factors we just don’t know about. Plus at this point I don’t think academics are factoring into his thinking much - are there single semester degrees he can get? Will he finish his degree?

One thing to consider is Denver has their first game the end of the month and UNC and Duke the first week in February. How long is he willing to give the Ivy League to make up their minds? As stated previously it must help a little that ‘Cuse is staring late (if he’s even considering them).

Yes I think schools that start later will have an advantage. I think Ierlan will hold out as long as he can for Yale but at this point it seems unlikely the IVY will play this year barring some sudden change of heart. I have to think he understands a full ride is probably unlikely at this point unless he's going to play for Bryant or something but I am sure he's looking for at least a good chunk. That may price a lot of the private schools including SU and some of the higher tuition public schools out of the market.

You could be right about Denver, but I believe Ierlan wanted to be reasonably close to home when he left Albany, its a big adjustment from Yale to Denver even if its only a semester and that assumes they have a the Grad program he wants. I would also assume if he does transfer he will likely have to complete some credits in the summer to get his grad degree, perhaps he will just do that online but if not does he want to be in Denver in June and July? Not that there's anything wrong with Denver in the summer as I am sure its great, but if your looking to stay reasonably close to home, its one thing to play there in April with your buddies a whole other as a Grad student months later versus being a few hours away at say SU or Maryland.

I think Ierlan put his name in to try and put pressure on the IVY to make a move because I get the sense he really doesn't want to leave. In the end though, I don't think he's gonna have a choice.

Last edited:
If Cornell doesn’t play & Teat wants to transfer, I’d have to think that Milliman & Grant Jr. make Hopkins the likely destination.

Agreed, makes a lot of sense. Only issue is that the one place Hop really doesn't need help is at attack assuming Epstein is 100% which seems to be the case. I am sure they would take him with open arms but they really need midfield and defensive help. I guess they could move Grimes for a year to midfield but Epstein and Cole Williams are pure attack guys and can't be moved and Epstein would have to move off ball as Teat needs the ball in his stick.

Ya good point about Bernhardt, that likely ate up a chunk of capital. Shockey was good last year but I recall him being up and down in his career at Maryland Tillman might want to stick with what he knows.
Shockey is a true senior, so Tillman might be hoping he returns for a 5th year in 2022. So Tillman would need to tread carefully.

Shockey is a true senior, so Tillman might be hoping he returns for a 5th year in 2022. So Tillman would need to tread carefully.

Agreed, schools have to take into account rocking the boat at the FOGO position if you already have a good to great FOGO guy or guys on the team. Tough call for some coaches.

I would be more interested in picking up young guns from the area who are tired of the Ivey league nonsense and looking to return close to home, Patrick Hackler and Thomas Bragg.

I would be more interested in picking up young guns from the area who are tired of the Ivey league nonsense and looking to return close to home, Patrick Hackler and Thomas Bragg.

SU recruited Hackler hard, I know they would love to have him.

So if this is true, if you were an Ivy League Junior in 2020, your career is over (assuming they don’t grant an extra year of eligibility). Or you could go to a new school and play two more years. That is crazy.

Some very good players might be looking for new homes soon. Hope it works out for all those who want to keep playing.

Article from August:

“Hackler said he has decided to take a leave of absence from that school in the fall semester. The Ivy League is one of several conferences across the country to postpone athletics until at least the spring semester.

If lacrosse resumes in the spring, Hackler said he’ll return then to play. If not, he said he’s prepared to sit out this whole academic year and come back in the fall of 2021.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom