2021-22 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training ... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

2021-22 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training ...

Stuff's getting real.

Isn't Donaldson one of the premier in the game?

Stuff's getting real.

Isn't Donaldson one of the premier in the game?
He was when he was with the Blue Jays.
He is 36 now.
I do think he is a solid player and better than Sanchez. He keeps the Yankees right hand heavy. They are built like Fenway is their home ballpark with the RH bats.

He is 36 now.
I do think he is a solid player and better than Sanchez. He keeps the Yankees right hand heavy. They are built like Fenway is their home ballpark with the RH bats
I hope Kiner-Falefa didn’t buy a house in Minneapolis yesterday. Actually this may work out ok for the Yankees. He’s an above average fielding shortstop and a decent hitter/base stealer. Catcher is now an issue as if it wasn’t already.

Last edited:
He is 36 now.
I do think he is a solid player and better than Sanchez. He keeps the Yankees right hand heavy. They are built like Fenway is their home ballpark with the RH bats.
I am assuming they will either re-sign Rizzo or acquire another left-handed first baseman. With Gallo and the return of Hicks (switch-hitter), that would give them at least three left-handed bats in the line-up.

Putting it in those terms makes it look like an awful deal.
How good was this guy last year?

Edit: Geez, looking at his stats, this guy has only had a couple complete seasons in the last 7 (!) years. The Machine will certainly get some time here.

They taking on all this money, and got rid of 2 good players, even given Sanchez's inconsistency. He could still put up some good numbers in the right place.

Putting it in those terms makes it look like an awful deal.
How good was this guy last year?

Donaldson went .247 / .352 / .475 with 26 HR and 72 RBI

Gio went .267 / .301 / .419 with 14 HR and 49 RBI in approx 20 less games.

More power, less contact, and another right handed bat. Ugh.
Aren't those precisely the problems with the Yankee offense?

Donaldson wRC+ = 124
Urshela wRC+ = 96

Average wRC+ for position players is just above 100.

Evidently the yankee catching coach worked with Rortvedt in the Minnesota organization. Maybe there’s something there below the surface just waiting to burst out.

More power, less contact, and another right handed bat. Ugh.
Aren't those precisely the problems with the Yankee offense?
It is a theory, but there is no real evidence that being too right handed was a problem.

It is a theory, but there is no real evidence that being too right handed was a problem.

Well, there is the physics aspect of one fence being farther away than the other ...

There should be a preference for left handed hitting with the short right porch, although it's not what it once was, and neither is Death Valley in left center field.

And there is also the fact of righty-vs-lefty pitcher/hitter match-ups and their statistical significance. There are more lefties in baseball that the 10% or so that exist in regular society. Because they provide certain statistical advantages in certain situations.

Another one is speed to first base, and trying to bunt for a base hit. Both favor the lefty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom