2021-22 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training ... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

2021-22 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training ...

I've seen the Yankees lose too many times in the post-season in the past because they couldn't scratch out runs against dominating starting pitchers.

You may have stats and analytics behind you, but sometimes things just don't pass the Eye Test, or match past experience.

Stats aren't everything. Over-reliance on them has ruined baseball, in my opinion.

Maybe part of your statistical evidence is just reflecting current trends in game management, rather than being a causal effect.
Lineup diversity might be more pleasing to the eye, but there is little evidence that it has anything to do with winning.

Lineup diversity might be more pleasing to the eye, but there is little evidence that it has anything to do with winning.

Well, for evidence, I would ask you about the Yankees' post season performance since, what, 2009?

Well, for evidence, I would ask you about the Yankees' post season performance since, what, 2009?
Short series are basically random. I’m not going to draw conclusions about lineup construction based on what happens in tiny samples.

Last year, they got a bad start from their ace in their one postseason game. If Cole happened to have a game, who knows what would have happened?

Since 2009, the teams who won the World Series, mostly hit more home runs than their opponents.

One way to look at it - World Series winner past 10 years, and their regular season ranking in HRs

2021 - Braves, 3rd
2020 - Dodgers, 1st
2019 - Nats, 13th
2018 - Red Sox, 9th
2017 - Astros, 2nd
2016 - Cubs, 13th
2015 - Royals, 24th
2014 - Giants, 17th
2013 - Red Sox, 6th
2012 - Giants, 30th

With the exception of 2020, the top HR team didn't win it all.

Then you get into regular season vs. playoffs, and matchups. I think if the lineup is too one dimensional, your regular season HR hitters will have less success in playoffs. Pitchers will be more cautious and focused on avoiding the big play.

With the exception of 2020, the top HR team didn't win it all.
It’s not about hitting the most home runs in the league. It’s about out-homering your opponent. Giving-up fewer home runs is a big part of the equation.

Short series are basically random. I’m not going to draw conclusions about lineup construction based on what happens in tiny samples.

Last year, they got a bad start from their ace in their one postseason game. If Cole happened to have a game, who knows what would have happened?

Since 2009, the teams who won the World Series, mostly hit more home runs than their opponents.

When it's a short series that determines or measures your ultimate success, then if it was me I would want more options at my disposal. I think you have to have options.

When it's a short series that determines or measures your ultimate success, then if it was me I would want more options at my disposal. I think you have to have options.
I would go with a lineup full of hitters with the highest probabilities of creating runs.

It’s not about hitting the most home runs in the league. It’s about out-homering your opponent. Giving-up fewer home runs is a big part of the equation.
Fair point

But hitting homeruns is half, and half is pitching. So I do think total homeruns is relevant enough. I wonder about the correlation vs. causation argument. I couldn't easily find stats on homerun differential, but that would be the interesting one to check.

Then you get to the task of building a pitching staff that doesn't give up homeruns, which hasn't been talked about as much on this thread

You do a great job of dispelling the myth that the scrappy small ball team can win a series against the team that relies more on power. You only get victory in those scenarios 25% of the time. You need at least some ability to hit homeruns, or have a staff that never allows homeruns (i.e. those Giants teams)

oh man - I was fooled!

It's one of those headlines that gets you because you want it to be true.
Absolutely. They really come right up to the line with their stuff.

I beg to differ. Righty vs. Lefty batting averages would disagree with you.

That’s doesn’t prove that lineup diversity matters.

Major League Baseball disagrees with you.

Major League Baseball disagrees with you.

You’re arguing something completely different. Nobody would deny that being left handed or right handed matters. What is unproven is if having a balanced lineup matters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom