2021-22 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training ... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2021-22 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training ...

Rizzo turned down 5 years / $70M in Chicago? Yikes. I like him but at 32 yrs old, keeping him would only be justifiable in a "win now" situation. And the starting rotation has too many questions to think we're there. Sure, he's good defensively, but better pitching makes for better defence, and not just at first base.

The Yankees are built on the "star system." But after a string of injuries, they got back into the playoff hunt on the efforts of a string of call-ups from Scranton.

Rizzo turned down 5 years / $70M in Chicago? Yikes. I like him but at 32 yrs old, keeping him would only be justifiable in a "win now" situation. And the starting rotation has too many questions to think we're there. Sure, he's good defensively, but better pitching makes for better defence, and not just at first base.

The Yankees are built on the "star system." But after a string of injuries, they got back into the playoff hunt on the efforts of a string of call-ups from Scranton.
The Yankees have three great players currently in their primes (Cole, Judge, Stanton). I think this is a "win now" situation since you do not want to waste these years. I would try to keep Rizzo, but I would want a short term-high salary deal. I'm sure that's not what he will want, but I don't know if there are teams out there who will give him five years.

The Yankees have three great players currently in their primes (Cole, Judge, Stanton). I think this is a "win now" situation since you do not want to waste these years. I would try to keep Rizzo, but I would want a short term-high salary deal. I'm sure that's not what he will want, but I don't know if there are teams out there who will give him five years.

I was thinking 2 yrs with an option for a 3rd for Rizzo. I'm not keen to keep Stanton around. He's very inconsistent, not a good outfielder, and his K's and GIDP's don't outweigh his occasional lunar landing vehicle. I don't know what to think about Gallo. He's a good fielder and costs a lot less than Stanton. Still, he looked lost like a few of the others who couldn't play in NY. I guess a lot depends on Hicks' status.

I was thinking 2 yrs with an option for a 3rd for Rizzo. I'm not keen to keep Stanton around. He's very inconsistent, not a good outfielder, and his K's and GIDP's don't outweigh his occasional lunar landing vehicle. I don't know what to think about Gallo. He's a good fielder and costs a lot less than Stanton. Still, he looked lost like a few of the others who couldn't play in NY. I guess a lot depends on Hicks' status.
What would propose doing with Stanton?

Gallo is under contact for 2022. He's probably not going anywhere, and Hicks and Stanton are almost certainly not going anywhere. You may have to get used to watching a lot of players you don't like.

That's the only way they should bring Rizzo back.

What would propose doing with Stanton?

Gallo is under contact for 2022. He's probably not going anywhere, and Hicks and Stanton are almost certainly not going anywhere. You may have to get used to watching a lot of players you don't like.
I’d hang on to Stanton and explore trade options for the other two. Pretty sure the Rangers are picking up all or most of the tab on Gallo so he’d be a freebie for somebody. Maybe package him with one of the Yankees high end shortstop prospects (since you just know the are going to bring in a fa shortstop) and a mid level pitching prospect for a decent center fielder. Hicks might be tradeable if the Yankees will absorb some of his contract. He could probably bring back a couple of decent prospects.

I’d hang on to Stanton and explore trade options for the other two. Pretty sure the Rangers are picking up all or most of the tab on Gallo so he’d be a freebie for somebody. Maybe package him with one of the Yankees high end shortstop prospects (since you just know the are going to bring in a fa shortstop) and a mid level pitching prospect for a decent center fielder. Hicks might be tradeable if the Yankees will absorb some of his contract. He could probably bring back a couple of decent prospects.
I don't think the Rangers are paying Gallo's salary. Odor's, yes.

Catcher and shortstop need to be the Yankees focus before anything else.

Where's Gardner going?

Early Bird special at the Golden Corral?

Yanks weren't going to exercise their $7.5 mil option for him. I'm sure we'll work out a reasonable deal down the road.

Teams must reinstate players from the 60-day IL by Sunday. The deadline to protect prospects from the Rule 5 draft is Dec. 1. We need to make room on the 40 anyways.

Last edited:
Early Bird special at the Golden Corral?

Yanks weren't going to exercise their $7.5 mil option for him. I'm sure we'll work out a reasonable deal down the road.

Teams must reinstate players from the 60-day IL by Sunday. The deadline to protect prospects from the Rule 5 draft is Dec. 1. We need to make room on the 40 anyways.
The Yankees are in the market for a third base coach. Also there’s a vacancy in the broadcast booth now that Singleton retired.

The Yankees are in the market for a third base coach. Also there’s a vacancy in the broadcast booth now that Singleton retired.
No need to fill Kenny's spot. They already have enough scrubs on the roster to cover it.

No need to fill Kenny's spot. They already have enough scrubs on the roster to cover it.
I might be wrong on this but I got the impression that Ken was lobbying for Meredith Marakovitz to take his spot. Hope not.

I might be wrong on this but I got the impression that Ken was lobbying for Meredith Marakovitz to take his spot. Hope not.
He was very complimentary of her. I think that's what he was doing.

Where's Gardner going?
It's a good question

The player option was for $2.3 million and the buyout was $1.15 million. Getting half your salary, after making over $80 million in his career, maybe he will simply retire. Or if he cares about money, all he needs is to get $2-3 million from some other team to make it worthwhile.

Matz, Ray and Semien from Toronto catch my attention.
Matz seems to get hurt a lot, and Ray could turn back into a pumpkin. I would pass on both.

Matz seems to get hurt a lot, and Ray could turn back into a pumpkin. I would pass on both.
A lot of names on that list I hope Cashman steers clear of. Some with previous stints on the Yankees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom