2021 NFL Thread | Page 96 | Syracusefan.com

2021 NFL Thread

I dunno, I tried watching that a week or two ago and found their tangential prattle distracting. I'm with Guinness - I often turn the sound down and just watch. I think the whole "cult of efficiency" has invaded NFL booths, causing announcers to overextend themselves almost every play to explain its complexities in 15 seconds. Or to make a simple sweep sound like Normandy, when it's really just "search."

You guys are old ;).

Yeah, something goofy going on with all that. The Metcalf catch was, even in real time, no clearly a good catch. But it was followed with what was potentially a turnover in the last two minutes, so there's that. There are two real problems there: 1.) Metcalf was too stupid to get out of bounds; and 2.) the referees are still terrified of making a tight call that gets exposed and analyzed by a dozen replays, and critiqued by a former ref up in the booth.
I think the refs are being trained to try and miss calls the right way. It lends itself to replay fixing things if they didnt quite see it.. however if the camera has no good angle then the play is left as is and calls they probably would have been called the other way in a non-replay world get left as is.

the issue with replay is we have never really seen the mechanics of how they do it.. given the metcalf play and watching the tv angle maybe he stepped out.. we couldnt really tell until like replay 3-4 so maybe the replay guy couldnt either.. if he steps out there is like 10-12 secs and seattle has a shot to throw a TD. One person in the booth cant see it live. We dont really know how many views he can see live.. Now if they had it set up right he could see 4-5-6 views at once and had touch screen replay available and he could quickly rewind and see he was in maybe he never stops the clock.. Then again if he waits too long and he was out and they spiked it people would be pissed too..

how would people feel if they didnt force the replay decision to happen before the next play cause that would fix some of this too but add other dynamics..

Or the NFL could have 3-4 people watching every game with the billions they have and each person had an angle for these decisions in the last 2 minutes.

At this juncture anyone at any level defending officiating is comical. I honestly think either you need more officials for every sport or calls need to be from a booth with the on field guys being more like chaperones. I don't think it's the officials themselves as much as how many rules and details we have now across all sports. It's just too much

Trust me, you'd lose interest really fast. I know I would. Most people (that includes announcers) have never officiated anything more than biddy ball and have no idea how difficult the job is, with how fast in-play decisions have to be made. It brings in two arguments: 1.) that you can't be perfect, but you can be consistent; and 2.) if you're going to err, do it on the side of fewer whistles.

And once again, the biggest problem comes from the many cameras used today and the incessant post-play dissection and analysis. It makes a lot of fans think they all know more about what's going on than they really do.

We are. I don't watch pre game shows either. All just a bunch of blowhards yapping about nothing.

That I agree with. Most of the experts all have their biases and you learn nothing from them.

Trust me, you'd lose interest really fast. I know I would. Most people (that includes announcers) have never officiated anything more than biddy ball and have no idea how difficult the job is, with how fast in-play decisions have to be made. It brings in two arguments: 1.) that you can't be perfect, but you can be consistent; and 2.) if you're going to err, do it on the side of fewer whistles.

And once again, the biggest problem comes from the many cameras used today and the incessant post-play dissection and analysis. It makes a lot of fans think they all know more about what's going on than they really do.

My beef is not that the refs on the field who get it wrong. Instead it is with the replay folks who do have the advantage of the technology and still screw it up.

We are. I don't watch pre game shows either. All just a bunch of blowhards yapping about nothing.

I usually put it on about a half hour ahead of KO to hear about any late scratches due to injury that would make my sad fantasy team even less productive. :(

Romo was rooting for Dallas but it honestly didn’t bother me one iota because it was organic and real.
He isn’t corporate and calls things like he sees them but he clearly is close to the Cowboys organization.

I can’t stand Collinsworth at all. He is bought and paid for by 345 Park Ave. He isn’t organic anymore and everything he says is to defend the shield or whomever talks to him.
His ballwashing for Pat Mahomes is off the charts more than Madden and Favre level.
He is defending the refs week after week.

He is the worst.
I think Romo is an over-the-top cheerleader in all games he calls; he picks a team (usually the more successful one at the time) and talks them up continually.

Dallas just happened to be that team last night.

I'm guessing the league would rather have puff pastry chefs doing color commentary rather than legitimate analysis.

It's rare when booth guys call out players, coaches or officiating so it always seems like a big deal (which is absurd, imo).

Aikman consistently crapped on Dallas for a long time in the booth. It used to annoy me until he cupped his nuts and pointed the harshest criticism toward the top (where it belongs).

Calling out Jerry as he did toward the end of the Ginger Clapper era was fantastic.

One of my best friends and his dad both spent a long time officiating like yourself. I get the point on cameras but there are just too many obvious mistakes today and that is based on what others who have officiating experience come out and say. I do believe a lot of it is just because of how rules have changed to try and address everything which is just too much. That said there is no going back. So to me you either roll it back or automate it and deal with that frustration.

I prefer the old school simplicity and not allowing it to be the sole focus of games. Cameras and replays have ruined that.

At this juncture anyone at any level defending officiating is comical. I honestly think either you need more officials for every sport or calls need to be from a booth with the on field guys being more like chaperones. I don't think it's the officials themselves as much as how many rules and details we have now across all sports. It's just too much
I'm not in favor of more officiating and I agree completely that the volume of rules is what's driving all sorts of officiating problems (especially in the NFL).

It's a sad commentary on our culture when our sports continually add rules to legislate behavior on the field rather than simplify and give the players more autonomy.

Targeting is a great example... A more efficient way to get head shots out of the game is to say you will sit out the same length of time the injured player is out. Wanna knock someone out with a head shot/concussion - take a seat for the rest of the day and lose your game check.

If that penalty isn't severe enough to get it out of the game then up the ante by making it a turnover in addition to the penalties above.

So let me get this straight.

The NFL deemed the DJ Metcalf obvious catch was worth stopping a dying clock for a booth review, fundamentally altering the game kinetics as Seattle had no time outs and the clock was ticking to zero...

BUT...didn't feel it was worth reviewing the 3rd down Dak QB sneak, in which time wasn't even a factor? What kind of bozos run this multibillion dollar venture?

There's no real defense for not calling the Dak sneak a TD. His knees were on the goal line; it's not physically possible for him to not have scored on that play.

I don't really get the uproar with the Steelers/Seahawks ending though. Obviously reviewing the DK catch was pretty silly, but Seattle spiked the ball anyways. They rightfully were allowed to kick the tying field goal.

Dallas only weakness is LB.
They have secondary and pass rush.

They need better LB play to win a SB.
Parsons is going to be a great player. I think Cox can be pretty good. The key is vanderesch. If he can return to what he was before he got hurt this defense takes another step.

Parsons is going to be a great player. I think Cox can be pretty good. The key is vanderesch. If he can return to what he was before he got hurt this defense takes another step.

He fell off the earth after that neck injury and has never been the same. He looks like a slightly better version of Jaylon.

Every Bills fan I know today was freaking the flock out. Come on, you missed the playoffs for like 20 years straight and you’re going to act like losing a bang-bang road game to a decent team is a big deal?

Barring an unthinkable injury, you’ll win the AFC East and have as good of a shot as anyone come playoff time. Relax.

Every Bills fan I know today was freaking the flock out. Come on, you missed the playoffs for like 20 years straight and you’re going to act like losing a bang-bang road game to a decent team is a big deal?

Barring an unthinkable injury, you’ll win the AFC East and have as good of a shot as anyone come playoff time. Relax.
The Bills will be fine but can't really blame Bills fans they are a tortured group.

If Washington gives up anything more than a 2nd round pick for Tua.
They are stupid.

Watson is going to be a Dolphin.

I guess, but they’ve gotta enjoy their time of prosperity while it’s here. They’re not going to win every game just because they’re good, lol.

Yeah there's definitely a portion of our fans that are freaking out too much. It was a disappointing loss but the season is far from over lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom