2021 NFL Thread | Page 86 | Syracusefan.com

2021 NFL Thread

Make no mistake Gruden is gone because of what he said about Goodell.
Goodell doesn’t care what he said about Smith or the homophobic comments.
Gruden is gone because the league office couldn’t stand for anyone insulting the commissioner.

That is it. If Gruden didn’t insult Goodell he survives this.
Complete opposite. In this day and age you think any public figure is going to keep their job with using that homophobic slur? No way possible. Add in all the other stuff, If Goodell was best friends with Gruden he couldn't have saved him. If insulting the commish was all he did, he'd still be on the sideline.

I knew some perfect individual was going to come out and post such drivel. “Homophonic / racist / misogynistic “ I can absolutely guarantee you that you yourselves have done this in an email at some point in the last 11 years per at least one individual in the worlds definition of those terms.

what does “publicly supporting inclusion” have to do with anything ? NFL publicly supports player safety yet added more games and has Thursday night football.
Thank you for recognizing my 'perfection'. You indeed are a discerning individual.

Hey, one comment, OK, fine, you screwed up. The exception. But this stream of hatred clearly shows that he is what he wrote.

You're probably right that I've written something that 'at least one individual in the world's definition of those terms'. Problem with Gruden? No interpretation needed. Can't take that stuff out of context.

What do you make of the stuff coming out about Gruden's emails from 10 years ago?
Whatever it takes to get him out of there. Can't stand him.

lol

There is no way on this earth that is true.

Let your Goodell hate go for a minute and reread those emails. The Grand Dragon of the Ku Klux Klan could be commissioner and Gruden wouldn't survive this.
A law firm was paid to investigate Washington Football Team. We didn’t see a single email from Dan Snyder and never a written report.

Yet all of Gruden’s emails come out from an investigation he was even not the subject of. Strange until you remember that Goodell runs the league

Complete opposite. In this day and age you think any public figure is going to keep their job with using that homophobic slur? No way possible. Add in all the other stuff, If Goodell was best friends with Gruden he couldn't have saved him. If insulting the commish was all he did, he'd still be on the sideline.

I agree with both of your positions in certain regards. (SS and Alsacs)

On one hand there is no way that in this current environment anybody survives those malicious comments being released. Once they are out nobody could have saved him. So in that regards the Goodell comments are irrelevant.

But one must also ask why are these comments getting out now? Did the comments about Goodell trigger the release of the malicious comments. If there had been no bad things said about Goodell would things have been more well guarded and not released. Perhaps, perhaps not. But I certainly see plausibility in the argument that Goodell triggered this.

Last edited:
Here's a thought: maybe Gruden chose to resign because he knows an actual investigation would have revealed a whole lot more shtt?

A law firm was paid to investigate Washington Football Team. We didn’t see a single email from Dan Snyder and never a written report.

Yet all of Gruden’s emails come out from an investigation he was even not the subject of. Strange until you remember that Goodell runs the league
Or, to put it like Tex Schramm once did, "We're the ranchers, you're the cattle. And we can always get more cattle."

I think this SI piece puts it in perspective:

Gruden Faces Consequences, as Snyder Mostly Skates

Hang on a sec...

You don't think any of the owners have made similar homophobic or disparaging remarks in Goodell's presence about others (or about Goodell to his face!)?

I would wager Roger is well aware of other equally uncharitable references NFL owners have made.

I may not be as far out on the limb as Alsacs but I'm definitely on that end of the spectrum.

Rog is as petty as it gets.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it came out that he decided to kill two birds with one stone - pimp smack Gruden and protect Snyder.

lol

There is no way on this earth that is true.

Let your Goodell hate go for a minute and reread those emails. The Grand Dragon of the Ku Klux Klan could be commissioner and Gruden wouldn't survive this.

I think what Alsacs is implying (and he can correct me if I am wrong) is that if the Goodell comments are never made, the ugly comments of Gruden get suppressed by Goodell / the NFL and never see the light of day. (which I see as quite plausible)

It's not the Goodell comments that did him in with the public. But it is quite plausible that the Goodell comments led him to being fed to the wolves. Not that Gruden deserves any sympathy in the matter.

I knew some perfect individual was going to come out and post such drivel. “Homophonic / racist / misogynistic “ I can absolutely guarantee you that you yourselves have done this in an email at some point in the last 11 years per at least one individual in the worlds definition of those terms.

what does “publicly supporting inclusion” have to do with anything ? NFL publicly supports player safety yet added more games and has Thursday night football.
I guarantee I have not used that specific homophobic slur or said a black person has lips like tires in an email. At anytime in my life.

Agreed with Alsacs here. It’s not about what Gruden said. It’s that the emails would have been buried by the league if he didn’t talk bad about the league/owners/Goodell

My old buddy would say he "got shot with a ball of his own shtt." When you put stuff like that out there, you have no right to complain how or when it comes back. Goodell is certainly a richard craniuim, but this is all on Gruden. It's also possible he's known about it all for a long time and just sat on it because had he gone after him, the scandal was potentially more damaging to himself and the league than to Gruden. But when it finally did leak out, he had no reason to want to save Chucky from himself.

Last edited:
My old buddy would say he "got shot with a ball of his own shtt." When you put stuff like that out there, you have no right to complain how or when it comes back. Goodell is certainly a richard craniuim, but this is all on Gruden. It's also possible he's all nown about it for a long time and just sat on it because had he gone after him, the scandal was potentially more damaging to himself and the league than to Gruden. So when it finally did leak out, he had no reason to want to save Chucky from himself.
How did it leak out? Maybe Mr. Goodell could tell us the answer.

How did it leak out? Maybe Mr. Goodell could tell us the answer.
I'm guessing it leaked out b/c a whole lot of people are PO'd at the NFL cover-up of the toxic culture of the WFT. Which is the story largely being overlooked here.

And don't forget, the Commissioner serves at the pleasure of the owners--who don't want anything to besmirch their club, not even sacrificing Dan Snyder for the greater good.

Hang on a sec...

You don't think any of the owners have made similar homophobic or disparaging remarks in Goodell's presence about others (or about Goodell to his face!)?

I would wager Roger is well aware of other equally uncharitable references NFL owners have made.

I may not be as far out on the limb as Alsacs but I'm definitely on that end of the spectrum.

Rog is as petty as it gets.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it came out that he decided to kill two birds with one stone - pimp smack Gruden and protect Snyder.
Saying it to his face and it being written out and leaked to the public are two totally different things. I'm talking about those statements getting out to the public, once it's there, you don't have a chance at hanging on, Roger not withstanding.

Saying it to his face and it being written out and leaked to the public are two totally different things. I'm talking about those statements getting out to the public, once it's there, you don't have a chance at hanging on, Roger not withstanding.
I don’t believe for a minute the law firm in charge of the investigation unilaterally leaked these emails.

Someone in a position of authority at the NFL instructed them to do so.

Otherwise that firm’s rep to run a legit investigation just took a major hit.

Someone in a position of authority at the NFL instructed them to do so.
Highly probable, but if Goodell wasn’t the only one to see them, all bets are off (for me) on it being him just being petty because of a personal insult. Many angles imo.

Highly probable, but if Goodell wasn’t the only one to see them, all bets are off (for me) on it being him just being petty because of a personal insult. Many angles imo.
Yeah, I’m guessing the personal aspect was more cherry on top than primary motivation.

I think what Alsacs is implying (and he can correct me if I am wrong) is that if the Goodell comments are never made, the ugly comments of Gruden get suppressed by Goodell / the NFL and never see the light of day. (which I see as quite plausible)

It's not the Goodell comments that did him in with the public. But it is quite plausible that the Goodell comments led him to being fed to the wolves. Not that Gruden deserves any sympathy in the matter.
This is exactly it.
Gruden would have been protected if he didn’t insult Goodell.
It’s pretty simple.
Again I guarantee their are embarrassing emails from Snyder that are being buried. He is a moron’s moron. They are being buried because he is protected.
Gruden was thrown to the wolves because he badmouthed Goodell.
So Goodell is throwing him to the wolves.

Pretty simple.

This is exactly it.
It’s pretty simple.
Again I guarantee their are embarrassing emails from Snyder that are being buried. He is a moron’s moron. They are being buried because he is protected.

Pretty simple.
Lol. I’m not trying to die on this hill, but it’s only simple in your head. There’s many ways this would've still came out if he didn’t insult Goodell. One being if anyone else saw the emails, and I’d say that’s a high probability.

This is exactly it.
It’s pretty simple.

Pretty simple.
I disagree, respectfully.

The more I read about this, the more I'm convinced that the league was wilfully covering up the investigation into the toxic work culture with the (then) Redskins. Instead of having the investigators provide a written report, they had them give a verbal accounting, then assumed control of the investigation themselves.

I think they sacrificed Gruden in order to keep the rest secret. It may or may not work. I, um, don't think it will. Here's some fair use from the Washington Post:

"The league remained unwavering in those stances Tuesday even as the NFL Players Association and others connected to the investigation sought access to more information about a trove of emails obtained by attorney Beth Wilkinson during her probe of the team’s workplace.

"The NFL later assumed oversight of Wilkinson’s investigation, and in July the league fined Snyder $10 million after hearing Wilkinson’s findings. But it only broadly described a “toxic” workplace culture without releasing any of the uncovered emails or a written summary of her work. Wilkinson declined to comment for this story.

"Attorneys Lisa Banks and Debra Katz, who represent more than 40 former Washington Football Team employees, called for the league to release the findings of the investigation publicly.

“It is truly outrageous that after the NFL’s 10-month long investigation involving hundreds of witnesses and 650,000 documents related to the longtime culture of harassment and abuse at the Washington Football Team, the only person to be held accountable and lose their job is the coach of the Las Vegas Raiders,” they said in a written statement. “Our clients and the public at large deserve transparency and accountability. If not, the NFL and Roger Goodell must explain why they appear intent on protecting the Washington Football Team and owner Dan Snyder at all costs.

Here's an SI story that everyone should be able to read:

Lawyers for ex-Washington Football Team employees want findings released - Sports Illustrated

Last edited:
Lol. I’m not trying to die on this hill, but it’s only simple in your head. There’s many ways this would've still came out if he didn’t insult Goodell. One being if anyone else saw the emails, and I’d say that’s a high probability.
I agree there are many ways this leak could have taken place. The Goodell angle is just one of many. Some here are dismissing that angle as crazy but it's certainly possible that Roger could have had a hand in it. 650K emails involving an investigation of the WFT and the first thing we hear about is Jon Gruden's emails. That's kinda strange but clearly somebody wanted it that way. We may never know. Hell maybe Mark Davis got word of these emails and figured this would be a quick way to get out of paying Gruden's massive contract.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom