2021 PGA Tour | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

2021 PGA Tour

It’s hard to win when the 80th ranked player in the world is better than Trevino in his prime. The talent is broad and jaw dropping. It’s unreal that anyone can win more than 1 major these days.
Been watching golf for close to 60 years now. Can't ever remember the sheer quality depth we have now.

I think the equipment is making it much easier for many to find the game enjoyable which helps spread out the talent. 20-30 yrs ago you had 220 from the rough you better be real good to hit an 2 iron towards the green or just layup.. now you can hit easy hybird or mid iron for these guys.

there were no avg players putting spin on the ball in the 80s now you see 20 handicaps spinning recover shots to the the greens..

0EA4FD73-3DCB-4095-986F-D090962587BD.jpeg

Well I’ve won the best bet of my life

Wow!!! That is random. Especially betting it twice. Hopefully you had it for more than $1. I'm sure how sick Champ was feeling down the stretch you were feeling worse. Congrats.
Between him almost passing out and what he did on the 18th it was a very Syracuse way to close it out haha

Between him almost passing out and what he did on the 18th it was a very Syracuse way to close it out haha
OMG!!! I would not have wanted to be in your shoes watching the 18th hole. It was hard enough to watch with no money on it.

OMG!!! I would not have wanted to be in your shoes watching the 18th hole. It was hard enough to watch with no money on it.
I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw him standing in the tee box with a driver haha he got to that point with his irons off the tee and the announcers knew what was going to happen before he even hit the ball

Today was just awesome though. I’m glad I started following golf closer during covid when I was desperate for sports, the last round of a close tournament is always a great watch.

My girlfriend thought I was just being dumb when I reacted that way until I let her see the tickets hahaha

God bless turning stone and their tendency to have some really weird lines

Sportsnet Sucks. (A Canadian Network)

Was enjoying the first round of golf, getting to know the course and they interrupt the event to show us men's field hockey instead for the next hours instead. FFS. It's Canada vs Belgium. This crap is lame.

This Canadian Goalie is a damn sieve. Leaves a five hole about 3 feet wide. 1-0 Belgium.

Crazy event last week with a 6 way playoff.
The last 5 holes leading up to it were pretty interesting given they had a Canadian and Kisner (who I had at 45-1). They had to come up with a couple birdies on the last 3 holes just to get in, while others like Henley just stalled.

Ryder Cup is now one-month away. Not sure why they went with 6 captain picks this time given that they had so many big events this year to justify the top 8 points getting in.

That being said not sure how big a difference it will make on the ultimate team, as the top 12 on the points list will not be much different from the team.

I think 4 of the 6 alternates are fairly certain - Speith, Reed, Cantlay, English. English has been so solid this year, I just don't see Stricker snubbing him for a more experienced member especially since much of that experience is "losing" former tournaments.

Of those in the the top 12, I see Berger and FInau as the two that vulnerable of not making the team.

Outside of the top 12, I think the only candidates are Simpson, Scheffler, Mickelson and Kisner. If Mickelson had been a little more solid after the PGA he would have been hard to omit -- but he has been poor since the PGA -- I don't think he gets in. Kisner would need to get hot in the playoffs otherwise he is out. Scheffler is a nice prospect but I can't see why they would take him over Berger or Finau. So that brings up Simpson who has experience and is 4-4 in Career Ryder Cup Play.

Finau was also solid in the 2018 Ryder Cup and is having a good week this week.
Berger has had three top tens his last 4 events (all big events).

So as of now, it really seems like a 3 for 2 spots scenario amongst Finau, Berger and Simpson. I think Simpson claims one, and Berger/Finau is a pick'em. I guess it could change if Stricker sees English differently than I do.

1629519624834.png

1629519772978.png

While Europe is not that strong this year, there roster seems pretty much set. While the US team might have 12 players in the world top 20, the 9 auto's for Europe go all the way down to #40. So the three alternates would all be players outside of the top 40.

Europe has the top 4 from their point list that are in, plus the next 5 in the world rankings as automatic.

So as of now that would be
Rahm
Fleetwood
Hatton
Mcilroy
Hovland
Casey
Fitzpatrick
Westwood
Lowry

So that would leave 3 spots for the following (none of which are in the top 40 in the world)
Rose 45
Perez 47
Poulter 49
Garcia 53

I feel I should just stop there and take Rose, Poulter, Garcia. In 2018, Europe valued experience in their alternate picks as guys like Stenson, Garcia were not that strong at the time but got picked. I can't see them not doing the same this year, especially since they have the highest World Rankings amonst the alternates.

The other top 5 candidates based on world rankings are Victor Perez, Robert Mcintyre, Matt Wallace, Guido Migliozzi, Bernd Weisberger. Can't make a good argument for any.

1629520822006.png

1629520868525.png