2021 PGA Tour | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2021 PGA Tour

Phil with a 79 today including four bogies and a quintuple bogey on the last hole. I only saw like his last five holes but he seemed very distracted.

Phil with a 79 today including four bogies and a quintuple bogey on the last hole. I only saw like his last five holes but he seemed very distracted.

I think he's struggling in coming to grips with the likelihood that it's the Seniors or bust now. He may still have it in him to do something at the Masters, but, after that, he's got some decidin' to do.

Jordan Spieth finally breaks through and wins again.
I'm going to make my first real money golf bets this week. Two different guys to win: Jordan Speith and Brian Harman.

An update to my incredibly insightful post
Just a few thoughts that I felt like getting out here.

The depth of talent on the tour is impressive.

The big four: Dustin-Justin-Rahm-Rory Rory, my guy, was so pissed that he tried to keep up with Bryson and screwed up his swing, jeesh, you're a 4 time major winner, do you really care that he out drives you by 10 yds! He is still my guy but that makes me wonder.

The next Tier: X, Reed, Cantlay, Hatton.

Bryson is in this group. Although he says some things that are a bit off, I like that Bryson is an iconoclast and he is a top ten golfer who is likely to win another major or more, but I don’t think he is going to drastically change how golf is played. An article in one of the golf magazines stated that Wolfe out drove Bryson in the 4th round at the Masters but can’t find confirmation of that. He is playing well, has already won, will be interesting to see what he does this year, but I don't like watching him play - so mechanical, not my style of golf.
According to Golf Magazine, Bryson hit drives all of one yard farther at the 2020 Masters than Tiger in 1997.
The new guys who have won already: Viktor, Morikawa, Wolfe

A couple of top Koreans in Im and Kim who have won, and a top Japanese player in Hideki who has won Lots of Koreans made the cut this week.

Then a ton of guys from Simpson to the likes of: Ancer, Scheffler, Kuchar, Kisner, Brendon Todd, Hughes, Fowler, Finau, Na, Champ, Harris, Reavie, Woodland Very happy that Billy Horschel won the WGC-Dell, always liked that guy for some reason. Golf Digest has an Anonymous Pro column, which is a really good read, and I've thought that he might be that pro - for little or no reason.

A handful of top Euros and ROW: Rose, Lowry, Scott, Fleetwood, Casey, Niemann, Leishman, Laird, Oosthuizen

And a bunch of dark horses that would not surprise if they won: Bezuidenhout, Fitzpatrick, Berger. And Redman, Kang, Pieters, Frittelli, Munoz, Wallace, Li.

I’m sure you guys could add quite a few more names.

On the flip side:

Tiger – probably washed up as a top player but you never know with ho boy. And ESPN, please take down the father/son/tiger stuff from your website – that was 7 week ago and 5 tournaments ago! Do people really care that much about Tiger? Washed up and crashed up - not happy that this happened but thank goodness the police department is covering up for him so that he can still look forward to captaining the Ryder Cup.

Phil – he’s already been gone, it would be a Johnny Miller like miracle if that wet ATT 2 years ago was not his last hurrah

Koepka – I expected his major magic to end after 4, which it certainly did, the question is how good he will be when he is fully healthy again. Probable that he gets multiple more wins, but 50/50 that he gets another major He is looking better than I thought.

Jason Day – he had some good moments in 2020, but seems damaged, don’t see him in the top ten again

Spieth – possible of course, but I give him only a 50% chance of winning again and a 2% chance of winning a slam. Tough to stay on top when you rely on being the best at 25 foot putts. Possibly one of the worst predictions this board has ever seen - his game turned around within moments of me making this prediction - finishing top 10 almost every week and now he has won - Jordan can't thank me enough.
Predictions for the season:

POY – Rahm
Vardon Trophy - Justin

Winners of the Players, the majors and the Fedex

One of the points of the above, is that it is very hard to win a major because there are a handful of great players and many very good players who can win if they get in the zone.

Given that, I’ll say that 3 of the 6 biggies are won by the big four. Dustin is due to cool down a little - could easily be a multiple winner but maybe not in the majors. I’d be surprised if Rahm doesn’t win one and Justin seems overdue. Would love to see Rory win the Masters or any of the others. He is still playing well but he seems the least likely at the moment.

It is useless to predict specific tournaments at this point, but I’ll do it anyways.

Players – DJustin
Masters – Rahm Spieth?
PGA – Xander
US Open – JDustin, what a long hitter great short game
Open – Fleetwood, can go low
Fedex - Hatton

One more thing. The 7-1 odds of Bryson winning the 2020 Masters was such a bad bet (not for the bookies or course but for the bettors). 15-1 would be a decent rule of thumb for the lowest odds in most cases. Just for reference, Tiger won approximately once every 4.5 majors during his heyday in 1996-2009, so 3-1 odds might have been good on him. Bryson winning his first major at age 27 is not in the same solar system as Tiger’s heyday. However, Dustin, who was playing at such a consistently high, tiger like, level at the time, is the one who should have gotten 7-1. Draftkings has Dustin as a 11-2 favorite - such bad, stupid odds for the bettor. DJ deserves to be #1 and was the best player for the last 18 months and probably still is, but his highest finish in the last for events is 8th! Justin won the Players (the hardest field) and DJ finished 48th, and now DJ is 5.5:1 to beat the field!? And in 15 years on tour, he has won all of 2 majors.
Draftkings also has Rory and Justin as second favorites at 10-1. I'd love to see him win the Masters but he has to get his driving back and then there are the issues with his wedges and 4-6 foot putts. BTW, Golf Magaizine's staff has Rory as the favorite with 17% of 30 voters choosing him - they must know something about Rory that I don't because he has not been playing well.

One other thing - I didn't see the event or look at the rules but am sure that Reed cheated.

Who we rolling with this weekend fellas?

I got some:

Sungjae 60/1
Wolff 100/1 and 125/1 (I can’t quit the guy)
Cameron Champ 250/1 and I was at turning stone today and he dropped to 500/1 and I couldn’t help myself

Took some Bryson on my offshore even though I can’t stand the guy and I always have my gf pick a guy in majors and she took DJ. Lol

I got some:

Sungjae 60/1
Cameron Champ 250/1 and I was at turning stone today and he dropped to 500/1 and I couldn’t help myself

Took some Bryson on my offshore even though I can’t stand the guy and I always have my gf pick a guy in majors and she took DJ. Lol
I mentioned this up above and placed my bet today. Took Brian Harman at 100-1 to win and 18-1 to come in the top 5. Also took Speith to win at 11-1. It's crazy all the things you can bet.

I did a masters pool this year with a bunch of people. You pick one golfer from each tier (6) and the lowest combined scores of the best 4 are your total.

I like watching it, but I don't know the game nearly as well as others. But I went with Dustin Johnson, Tony Finau (I always root for him), Webb Simpson, Billy Horschel, Christiaan Bezuidenhout, and Bernhard Langer.

I got some:

Sungjae 60/1

Cantlay 22/1
Reed 30/1
Fitzpatrick 50/1
Conners 100/1

still sucks they don’t show the whole thing, or at least most, on live TV. Watching the App on a computer isn’t as good.
Augusta does so much right, but the whole ongoing idea of “let’s withhold some golf to create more demand” is ridiculous in 2021.

the course and tourney isn’t going to lose any of its allure if we get to watch more of it you knuckleheads.

at least this year we get 4,5,6 as featured holes in addition to amen corner and 15,16. 4,5,6 starts at 8:45. And there are 4 featured groups now which is nice starting at 10:00.

For regular coverage to start at 3:00 is a farce. And it’s completely unnecessary.

I’ll complain like I do every year about this “major” event. It’s ridiculous how little coverage they allow. Even their app isn’t showing anything live until holes 4,5,6. You’re not a major event if people can’t watch it. Maybe this years World Series they’ll pick up the games in the 3rd inning.