2021 USMNT Thread | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

2021 USMNT Thread

I agree. Just would like to assess just how big the talent drop off is but that’s impossible when we park the bus after 1 goal.
Former SU star Miles Robinson having another good day for the US.

Canada has former SU defender Kamal Miller and former forward Tajon Buchanan, Tajon looking really good, just missed getting a great score.

Is it the lack of our star guys from sitting out that is causing us to really struggle to keep possession or get into the final 3rd?
Our top guys would finish these chances.
US doesn’t have a true number 10 but we have offensive weapons.
Our strikers this Gold Cup we are playing here just aren’t international players.
The best player we have had this match has Dike and he just got hurt.
Dike is a guy who will leave MLS soon these matches have to be getting him interest from European teams.

Busio, Sands, Moore, Dike have been really good this match.

The passing this game has been more like a kick around than a match. I was bummed that there has been zero decent service for Dike.

Going forward Dike, Hoppe, Busio, Robinson, Sands and Moore should get a long look and a possible shot to get into qualifiers. After that I think I need to see a lot more before any other names ring the bell.

0F78B4CD-D770-43D2-B984-9E9AB7976589.jpeg

Canada totally outplayed us.
Berhalter, tactics, and roster selection all subpar for the USMNT.

View attachment 203575

Canada totally outplayed us.
Berhalter, tactics, and roster selection all subpar for the USMNT.

We have the talent now and some depth to be a legit threat in the WC. I think the talent alone will ensure this group qualifies but Berhalter doesn't have the chops to maximize it. We need a legit football mind with more experience coaching that level of talent.

And they know they should have beaten us

We deserved the win for one minute

The quality level and spacing in that match would have resulted in a halftime tirade even at the HS level. That match was an embarrassment to be on TV.

We want Mexico to win so they are on the other side of the bracket.

If El Salvador wins the group then the final is guaranteed to not be Mexico-USA
Ah, great point.

Hard to pull for El Tri though, NGL.

the awful passing by the D just compounded everything else they did poorly.

It’s our manager and the talent we have on the pitch.
I repeat myself but MLS dominant USMNT aren’t good.

We are better off just letting the young kids play trial by fire. I like certain players but the overall shape and roster is frustrating.
The heavy touches and lack of possession is terrible.

We ARE playing a lot of young guys. Youngest Gold Cup team in 20 years. Come on, be fair. Their average age is around 23 years old.

He's playing Dike, Busio, Miles Robinson, Matthew Hoppe, James Sands, Shaq Moore, Bello, Giocchino, Sam Vines - all of these guys have less than 20 caps, and in fact most of them have fewer than 10 caps.

Even guys like Yeuill and Zimmerman, who you like to beat on, have fewer than 20 caps and are still pretty young.

Former SU star Miles Robinson having another good day for the US.

Canada has former SU defender Kamal Miller and former forward Tajon Buchanan, Tajon looking really good, just missed getting a great score.

It's pretty cool to hear so many Syracuse mentions in a national team soccer game.

It's pretty cool to hear so many Syracuse mentions in a national team soccer game.
Yeah, that was pretty damn incredible to hear. You don’t usually get those references during international games.

Good representation for Syracuse.

We have the talent now and some depth to be a legit threat in the WC. I think the talent alone will ensure this group qualifies but Berhalter doesn't have the chops to maximize it. We need a legit football mind with more experience coaching that level of talent.

You know, people are pretty rough on Berhalter, in my opinion. Playing 3 at the back suits the US and leaves our central defense less vulnerable, but we have enough talent in midfield to still pose an offensive threat. Dike is going to be our number 9, and he fills a big hole in this lineup.

Busio is good enough to play in Europe. Shaq Moore and Reggie Cannon give us even more young options at right back or right wingback.

Even though this is our B Team, I think Greg Berhalter is getting the kind of ball retention, playing in open spaces, and attacking intent that Jurgen Klinsmann always wanted us to play, when we lacked the players to do it.

And they know they should have beaten us

We deserved the win for one minute

They won the battle in midfield. Berhalter should have made some changes 10-15 minutes earlier. I would have pulled Zardes for another MF sooner.

He sets up good game plans, but he is hesitant to make adjustments, In some ways, he reminds me of Garrett Southgate.

To me the biggest thing with the player pool is once you get past the top guys, the MLS-heavy guys really have poor touch and awareness IMO. That's one of the biggest things for me the US in general needs to improve on. Having a bad first touch and not being able to keep your head is what makes you a career MLS player vs the richer pastures of European football.

I had high hopes for Jackson Yueill but he's not good. Kellyn Acosta is a useful battering ram. I hope the US can soon progress past Gyasi Zardes.

So I hope to see dozens of young US players get Euro moves because it will help us assess quickly who could be a contributor and who is a pretender that fits better in MLS.

TLDR: USA B-Team is lucky to have won 1-0 tonight and they have a few players I hope get surpassed soon by others.

You know, people are pretty rough on Berhalter, in my opinion. Playing 3 at the back suits the US and leaves our central defense less vulnerable, but we have enough talent in midfield to still pose an offensive threat. Dike is going to be our number 9, and he fills a big hole in this lineup.

Busio is good enough to play in Europe. Shaq Moore and Reggie Cannon give us even more young options at right back or right wingback.

Even though this is our B Team, I think Greg Berhalter is getting the kind of ball retention, playing in open spaces, and attacking intent that Jurgen Klinsmann always wanted us to play, when we lacked the players to do it.

My issue with him is that I haven't seen him put a squad out there against a decent foe that fits. I don't disagree with a back 3 but when you go that route you need to make sure that you have wingers that are willing track back all game as much as they push forward. From what I've seen with Dest for example, he really would much rather be putting balls in the box vs defending.

I think it's fair to give him the time to make it work in qualifiers and start finding his best lineups and subs adjusted for the opponent and you are right it's probably a little harsh. Having played on the wing I'm always quite a bit more critical of that style in needing guys willing to play 90 mins on both ends.

They won the battle in midfield. Berhalter should have made some changes 10-15 minutes earlier. I would have pulled Zardes for another MF sooner.

He sets up good game plans, but he is hesitant to make adjustments, In some ways, he reminds me of Garrett Southgate.

I would say it was more of a push. I felt that despite it not being his traditional role, Hoppe was extremely effective in holding possession on the wing. I think for the knockout rounds you want Hoppe starting out there with Dike. Pines, Zardes and Yuell shouldn't see another minute the rest of the way.

Just to add, despite playing a back 3 there was hardly any overlapping runs in the second half. Very much a Southgate like move setting up far too defensive. Not to mention Busio was pushing up way too high leaving midfield exposed which made zero sense. If you are going to play Behind the ball then why put him up higher? This forced all the action through the wings and the Center backs and handing over possession frequently.

Berhalter made a good move bringing Hoppe in and honestly if he doesn't I think Canada gets the draw at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom