2021 USMNT Thread | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

2021 USMNT Thread

Just got home from our varsity game tonight, couldn’t watch.

Was it a step forward, or more of the same?

I think we probably saw 8 of our best 11 tonight.

We're not there yet, but that was a good win.

We haven't seen the best of Reyna yet. I hope we do in November.

Just got home from our varsity game tonight, couldn’t watch.

Was it a step forward, or more of the same?
We gave up a sloppy goal in the first minute.

Settled down after that.
Dest had a world class equalizer.

We got away with a penalty right before halftime.

Navas Costa Rican-PSG GK got injured and was subbed out at halftime.

We were the better team the whole game outside of the first minute and penalty we got away with.

We got a soft goal for the win but we’ll take it.

Lucky that nobody got a yellow card accumulation to miss Mexico match.

We won in spite of Berhalter.

I think we probably saw 8 of our best 11 tonight.

We're not there yet, but that was a good win.

We haven't seen the best of Reyna yet. I hope we do in November.

Hopefully he is healthy by then. Been nice to have him this cycle when we were in Panama

Bad McKennie tonight

(inconsistent)
He's not playing much at Juve right now. I hope he gets sold to West Ham in January. He would become a better player in England, more suited to what we need from him for the national team.

Right now, I'm listening to Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique while I'm reading the USMNT game coverage. It's so funny to hear the sports interviews running on low volume when they auto-play on ESPN.COM, like background "atmosphere", while the music is playing. Some very funny matches between the audio sources.

Canada putting beat down on Panama.
4-1.

Canada should challenge USA and Mexico for top of the table.

I will be satisfied with a draw at BMO or if they play the match in Vancouver.

4-1.

We should be Panama by 3-4 goals at home if not more. This is a breakout for Canada. Definitely they will challenge

4-1.

The best thing is to hope for separation between the top 3 and the rest. That requires lower table teams winning once in a while. Panama won't stay Top 4, like they are right now. (Edit: Well, maybe they will - see below.)

We got 6 points from 3 games, we rotated a lot of guys and gave them chances, and some new guys became part of the family in this last game - thinking Weah, Dest, Musah in this game tonight.

Every time one of these young guys has his own "special moment", that's like earning your stripes among the crew. They know you can deliver the goods. The more guys we have who are a threat to ripple the nets, the better!

In November we're back to "only" a 2 game window. Mexico home, and away to Jamaica. Jamaica's in last place in the Octagon, but have good athletes on the counterattack.

Panama has an easy October, playing 2 of the bottom teams (at Honduras, home to El Salvador), and will be expected to get 6 points from 6. That would give them 14 and make them pretty solid for Top 3 after the Third Round of Five (only January and March remain after the next 2 game window).

Canada, 1 point behind Panama in 4th, has 2 home games next time - Mexico and Costa Rica. This will be the huge window for them of qualifying. If they come up empty, or with say only 1 point from 2 home games while Panama runs 6, Canada will be in big trouble.

But it could be good for us. That's the separation the top 3 aspirants are looking for.

What do you think of our next window?

Mexico at home, and not near the damn border, we have a good chance at winning if we're healthy.

Mexico is suffering from a lot of injuries and guys who are just off form right now. They had a heck of a time at home against bottom of table Jamaica tonight, only winning in the 89th minute.

They play away to both the US and Canada in November. They could lose both.

If we get six points, we should go top of group after Round 3 of 5 of Qualifying.

"Fire Berhalter"!!

Mexico at home, and not near the damn border, we have a good chance at winning if we're healthy.

Mexico is suffering from a lot of injuries and guys who are just off form right now. They had a heck of a time at home against bottom of table Jamaica tonight, only winning in the 89th minute.

If we get six points, we should go top of group after Round 3 of 5 of Qualifying.

"Fire Berhalter"!!

Mexico plays El Salvador tonight with Jamaica playing Honduras.

We should beat El Tri again at home. Get at least a point at Jamaica and that makes a successful next break to me.

Mexico plays El Salvador tonight with Jamaica playing Honduras.

We should beat El Tri again at home. Get at least a point at Jamaica and that makes a successful next break to me.

Was that their last game that was so close vs. Jamaica? Sorry.
Didn't watch their game, just read the sports reports on ESPN.

Edit: No, that was an old result from early in this cycle.

Last edited:

"Fire Berhalter"!!
If you think Gregg isn’t an issue you are in the minority.
I don’t want the USA golden generation in the hands of this manager.
Plain and simple.

Was that their last game that was so close vs. Jamaica? Sorry.
Didn't watch their game, just read the sports reports on ESPN.

Yes sir - last one it was. They should win tonight though.

Plain and simple.

He's not very likely to get replaced in this cycle.

the game is on ESPN.. they have stories about the game. and yet they cant seem to have the correct game totals.

1634182095969.png

the game is on ESPN.. they have stories about the game. and yet they cant seem to have the correct game totals.

View attachment 208570

Yeah, ESPN's website had me all mixed up about the standings, remaining fixtures, etc. Kind of a mess.
They don't update standings until next day.

Plain and simple.

He's not great, I'll agree. But you make it like he's Dino Babers.

I might be wrong, but so far I think he's had the best start of any US team coach. And he's actually able to recruit quality European based players who seem to enjoy playing for the USMNT. They certainly have the make up of "a gang" of talented guys who are building chemistry together.

Timmy Chandler never felt like he wanted to be there. Or Fabian Johnson. So many of the guys that Klinsmann tried to recruit were nowhere near the quality of this current group of youngsters.

What you're watching in Berhalter is a more tactically astute version of Klinsmann, delivering the kind of football Klinsmann wanted to play but couldn't bring about, with young, and somewhat inconsistent players.

He's building a strong culture within the squad. We are so clearly past the old war horses who we had to reply on last time around. It's a new team and it clearly has a promising future.

Berhalter probably won't get past the Round of 16 in Qatar. But if he does, what do you do then?
Say the US makes a run to the quarterfinals, how do you fire him?

You don't, unless you can get a big name, a top shelf coach. And with a good squad coming off a reasonably good World Cup, and being the host - we might actually get that coach you are hankering for.

But Berhalter is going to get his chance. And they are doing well enough to likely qualify. Of course it's not over yet, but we're well into the campaign now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom