2021 Yankees Season | Page 198 | Syracusefan.com

2021 Yankees Season

Well, now that baseball is over for the year, I guess my evening TV viewing choices are wide open.

Big Sky! Two hot babes with guns wearing skin tight jeans! What's not to like? :)

The pieces just don't fit well together. Too much feast or famine, the long ball is exciting but they rely far too much on it. Lemahieu being down/injured had a big impact on the offense. Also need more LH hitting, Rizzo, Gallo and Odor were an attempt to address that, but Gallo and Odor in particular just exacerbated the all or nothing problem with the lineup. It's fun and easy to play fantasy GM but not quite as easy to actually do the job in real life, however some degree of reconstruction is in order, and it would be a bad choice to double down in bringing in more high power/low contact type of guys. For a team that is also in perpetual win-now mode, no one in the farm system is going to be ready to be an impact player on offense next season, that is probably not going to be the answer in fixing offensive flaws for 2022.

Was not too upset last night because I was not confident going in, knowing how Cole's been at Fenway and how we closed the year, losing that home field advantage. I think that was huge last night. And as stated, it's a bit easier to deal with a loss that is not a heart breaker. Had a couple bad breaks on long balls, and the play at the plate. They had similar moments that went their way. Happens.

Absolutely wanted to at least have a full series. While it'll be "nice" to not have that high level stress of Oct baseball, this is disappointing. Especially considering how hot Stanton and Judge were to close the year. Feels like we wasted the best stretch Stanton has had as a Yankee.

And again... time to move to 6 playoff teams per league. Enough of the 1 game wild card. At least make it a 3 gamer. We have 162 games in the regular season... what's another series?

Was not too upset last night because I was not confident going in, knowing how Cole's been at Fenway and how we closed the year, losing that home field advantage. I think that was huge last night. And as stated, it's a bit easier to deal with a loss that is not a heart breaker. Had a couple bad breaks on long balls, and the play at the plate. They had similar moments that went their way. Happens.

Absolutely wanted to at least have a full series. While it'll be "nice" to not have that high level stress of Oct baseball, this is disappointing. Especially considering how hot Stanton and Judge were to close the year. Feels like we wasted the best stretch Stanton has had as a Yankee.

And again... time to move to 6 playoff teams per league. Enough of the 1 game wild card. At least make it a 3 gamer. We have 162 games in the regular season... what's another series?

So, do you like baseball in the snow? :)

The pieces just don't fit well together. Too much feast or famine, the long ball is exciting but they rely far too much on it. Lemahieu being down/injured had a big impact on the offense. Also need more LH hitting, Rizzo, Gallo and Odor were an attempt to address that, but Gallo and Odor in particular just exacerbated the all or nothing problem with the lineup. It's fun and easy to play fantasy GM but not quite as easy to actually do the job in real life, however some degree of reconstruction is in order, and it would be a bad choice to double down in bringing in more high power/low contact type of guys. For a team that is also in perpetual win-now mode, no one in the farm system is going to be ready to be an impact player on offense next season, that is probably not going to be the answer in fixing offensive flaws for 2022.
The beloved Rays are also a home run/strike out team.

But that's baseball now. The lefty shift is the manifestation. They either homer or strike out and the teams' managements are OK with that. How long would the shift last against a lefty who could hit to left? What would normally be a routine play for the 3rd baseman would consistently be a double because the 3rd baseman is really playing shortstop and the outfield is swung over to right.

The beloved Rays are also a home run/strike out team.
Don't know if the difference can be fully explained by analytics (or at least I may not be up to it), but Tampa managed to score a lot more runs than the Yanks this year. How did they do it? Matched the Yanks in homers, but got a lot more extra base hits. Yanks hit into twice as many double plays (I think this difference is meaningful). Stole a lot more bases but also got caught a lot more. BA and OBP weren't much different. TB also has a better balance of lefty/righty/switch hitters., whereas the Yanks were very heavy on RH hitting in a park that is built for LH hitters. Tampa can bop like the Yanks can but they're also better at manufacturing runs and aren't as reliant on sitting back and waiting for the 3-run HR. Maybe it sounds cliche but the pieces complement each other, there's more interchangeability and versatility there as well.

But that's baseball now. The lefty shift is the manifestation. They either homer or strike out and the teams' managements are OK with that. How long would the shift last against a lefty who could hit to left? What would normally be a routine play for the 3rd baseman would consistently be a double because the 3rd baseman is really playing shortstop and the outfield is swung over to right.
Lotta truth to this. Makes you wonder if winning is not the best recipe for $$$$, perhaps it's merely the entertainment of the HR that sells. Can't blame teams for employing a shift against hitters who are too predictable or stubborn to adapt as opponents break them down. I laugh when I hear some folks say we should outlaw the shift. What's next, no breaking balls allowed? Pitchers have to throw underhand?

Don't know if the difference can be fully explained by analytics (or at least I may not be up to it), but Tampa managed to score a lot more runs than the Yanks this year. How did they do it? Matched the Yanks in homers, but got a lot more extra base hits. Yanks hit into twice as many double plays (I think this difference is meaningful). Stole a lot more bases but also got caught a lot more. BA and OBP weren't much different. TB also has a better balance of lefty/righty/switch hitters., whereas the Yanks were very heavy on RH hitting in a park that is built for LH hitters. Tampa can bop like the Yanks can but they're also better at manufacturing runs and aren't as reliant on sitting back and waiting for the 3-run HR. Maybe it sounds cliche but the pieces complement each other, there's more interchangeability and versatility there as well.
Batting average on balls in play (BABIP) and grounding into double plays tend to be pretty random. I would not predict similar results for either team moving forward. We will hear lots of theories about what makes team A from team B. The answer is often that there is no difference. There is just good and bad fortune.

Batting average on balls in play (BABIP) and grounding into double plays tend to be pretty random. I would not predict similar results for either team moving forward. We will hear lots of theories about what makes team A from team B. The answer is often that there is no difference. There is just good and bad fortune.
Try again next year but Tampa's worst winning % over the last 3 years was .596 in 2019 and they're celebrating their second straight division title, I mean they're doing something very right and I don't think it's just luck.

A healthy and resurgent Lemahieu alone could make a world of difference for the Yanks next year without adding any major pieces. It would also be wise to have more quality LH hitting from day one.

Try again next year but Tampa's worst winning % over the last 3 years was .596 in 2019 and they're celebrating their second straight division title, I mean they're doing something very right and I don't think it's just luck.
The Rays are a well-run organization. The Yankees are 228 - 156 (.593) over the last three seasons. They have not been the Rays, but people exaggerate the problems with roster construction. While lefty-righty balance is an interesting theory, I don't think there is much evidence yet to support it being a major predictor of success.

Many of the same Yankee pieces that didn't work well together this season to score runs did work well to do so in recent years. It was a bit puzzling, and ultimately ended their season.

The Rays are a well-run organization. The Yankees are 228 - 156 (.593) over the last three seasons. They have not been the Rays, but people exaggerate the problems with roster construction. While lefty-righty balance is an interesting theory, I don't think there is much evidence yet to support it being a major predictor of success.
There are few if any guarantees when it comes to moves that can improve a team, not to mention so many variables that can offset any improvements made, though we can make informed guesses on what would make it so--that's just a part of having an interest in any team. Things could certainly be a lot worse for the Yanks, I mean they were still a post-season team, though by their own lofty standards they no doubt desired much much more. In figuring out how to get there, all one can do is look at the current picture and speculate on what could be done better and where improvements can be made. My educated guess in looking at this bunch is that the status quo is not going to get them where they want to be.

I'm fine that the season's over.

This was a muddy season with a few fun parts, but overall, pretty meh.

Many of the same Yankee pieces that didn't work well together this season to score runs did work well to do so in recent years. It was a bit puzzling, and ultimately ended their season.
Some truth to this, and as I touched on earlier, I think Lemahieu's dropoff had a ripple effect to some degree, even pre-sports hernia I don't think he was at 100% for most of the season. But I'd also agree that sometimes it is also just a case of how much goes right (see SF Giants this season) vs. how much goes wrong, and a team's ability to adapt and make fixes in the case of the latter.

Some truth to this, and as I touched on earlier, I think Lemahieu's dropoff had a ripple effect to some degree, even pre-sports hernia I don't think he was at 100% for most of the season. But I'd also agree that sometimes it is also just a case of how much goes right (see SF Giants this season) vs. how much goes wrong, and a team's ability to adapt and make fixes in the case of the latter.
Yes, there's always a bit of luck (good or bad) at play, and some years the pendulum swings mainly in one direction. D.J.'s drop in production was certainly a major factor, but it's still hard to imagine Judge and Stanton having strong and healthy years, and the team scoring about a run less per game than in recent seasons.

I'm fine that the season's over.

This was a muddy season with a few fun parts, but overall, pretty meh.

The most frustrating season I can ever remember. Between Covid breaks, injuries, spider tack, heart wrenching losses, representing 15% of Orioles wins.

But then right there in the middle was the longest winning streak in my lifetime. As well as a 3 game sweep at Fenway with the season on the line. Stanton/Judge just destroying baseballs down the stretch.

I don't get as upset as I used to, but yeah, I'm ok moving on. I would have preferred a Rays series to losing last night, but doubtful that was going to be enjoyable to watch.

A healthy and resurgent Lemahieu alone could make a world of difference for the Yanks next year without adding any major pieces. It would also be wise to have more quality LH hitting from day one.
Yeah - blame COVID (or injuries), but the drop off from some of these guys in 2021 was pretty pronounced. If these guys turn it around, it will be better than most acquisitions

DJ
Lowest average/OPS since 2014, and huge drop from 2019/2020. He was a below league average player in 2021 when we thought he would be an All Star

Gleyber Torres
Below league average OPS after slashing 38/90/278 in 2019

Gio Urshela
At the plate (he's a great fielder), is he more like the 2019/2020 version, or the guy who played sparingly for Cleveland/Toronto?

That's a third of the lineup right there. These are all likable players with skills and/or potential. I would vote to keep all of them and hope a normal offseason helps them get back on track.

Yeah - blame COVID (or injuries), but the drop off from some of these guys in 2021 was pretty pronounced. If these guys turn it around, it will be better than most acquisitions

DJ
Lowest average/OPS since 2014, and huge drop from 2019/2020. He was a below league average player in 2021 when we thought he would be an All Star

Gleyber Torres
Below league average OPS after slashing 38/90/278 in 2019

Gio Urshela
At the plate (he's a great fielder), is he more like the 2019/2020 version, or the guy who played sparingly for Cleveland/Toronto?

That's a third of the lineup right there. These are all likable players with skills and/or potential. I would vote to keep all of them and hope a normal offseason helps them get back on track.

The big question for next year is what their primary positions will be. I know there's depth and no one plays 162 games. But do you move DJ to 1B, Gio back to 3B, keep Gleyber at 2B and sign one of the shortstops? 2 of the top 3 prospects are SS, neither expected to be ready in 2022, so do you trade one if you sign a long term FA?

Still have Voit as an infielder too. Rizzo is a FA.

The DJ drop off was the biggest, and most disappointing, to me. He's been such an incredible player, you just grow to expect it. Gio's season last year seems like a pretty clear outlier. Gleybor is still young so we'll have to see how he continues to get better. Stanton and Judge were phenomenal. If you told me their numbers and games played I would have been extremely confident we made a postseason run. Rizzo was a great addition mid-season.

As for Odor, Gallo, Sanchez... Not enough contact. Gardner filled in admirably this year as well, but he is who is he. Voit being out for so long was unfortunate as well. Wade is a good infield fill-in. Hicks is one of the more polarizing players I have ever seen, personally, and that is when he is even playing. Velasquez had some nice feel good moments.

As for pitching... I don't know. Blew quite a few late game leads. All teams do especially teams that are winning a lot, but when you finish tied for a Wildcard spot and lose home field because of it, it shows how important each of those games are despite the season having 162. Cole was disappointing the second half this year relative to expectations, and that was exacerbated by the Fenway outcomes especially to end the year. Kluber had some good moments surrounding injury. Cortes had some nice moments too. Rest of starting rotation very meh. I like Holmes out of the bullpen. Chad Green had an exceptionally up and down year, or so it felt to me (maybe I'm wrong).

I loved that winning streak we got on. Adding in the stolen bases, some "small ball", the high energy. That was great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom