2022-23 Coaching Carousel | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2022-23 Coaching Carousel

Conry's deal was up, they only had two options: re-up or fire. I guess they weren't ready to fire but I bet this extension is of the 2-3 year variety rather than the 4-6 year. This could be a "final warning" situation...we're giving you another year or two to figure things out but after that it's sayonara. Some will say it's just kicking the can down the road but a turnaround is still well within the realm of possibilities if some of these highly ranked recruits pan out

A lot saw this on this page saw this coming..who do they get to replace him..
And do you think this changes this team much

Young alumni like Hop just did, its all the rage right now. Certain Vermont assistant would likely slot in nicely at least on paper. Not sure Benson is a massive loss by any stretch but with losing what they did to graduation its not a great development for the Terps.

Young alumni like Hop just did, its all the rage right now. Certain Vermont assistant would likely slot in nicely at least on paper. Not sure Benson is a massive loss by any stretch but with losing what they did to graduation its not a great development for the Terps.
I’m sure they just roll with his set plays that they used the last couple years anyways.

According to Chris, the front runner for the St. John's job is Justin Turri, a Michigan assistant (and former Duke standout). Michigan's other assistant, Jim Roglanski is the first name listed for the NJIT job. I know these are not the most in demand jobs out there but pretty wild that despite their struggles Michigan's coaching staff is getting such a hard look by other programs. And Conry got an extension this spring.

As for Maryland, if you beleive what others say it sounds like their motion offense was implemented before Benson got to campus (he was hired just one month before the season started). Not to say he hasn't been important to their success, but it seems to me that Tillman is the one steering that ship. I don't think there will be much of a drop off in on field performance for the Terps. They have a lot of alumni available including Bernhardt at UVM, Brian Phipps from Georgetown and Mike Chanenchuk from Stony Brook.

Quite a ride for Benson, goes from getting fired at Hopkins to getting ready to coach youth lacrosse in Atlanta, to being an assistant for a team that lost once in two years to being a head coach at a Big East school. I still think Kirwan would have been the better choice. Brown was a pretty middling team before he arrived, then they become a Final Four team with him leading the offense. Obviously he's been very successful at UVA. He has roots to the area coaching at Brown. Also for selfish reasons I think UVA would take a step back if wasn't there anymore.

According to Chris, the front runner for the St. John's job is Justin Turri, a Michigan assistant (and former Duke standout). Michigan's other assistant, Jim Roglanski is the first name listed for the NJIT job. I know these are not the most in demand jobs out there but pretty wild that despite their struggles Michigan's coaching staff is getting such a hard look by other programs. And Conry got an extension this spring.

As for Maryland, if you beleive what others say it sounds like their motion offense was implemented before Benson got to campus (he was hired just one month before the season started). Not to say he hasn't been important to their success, but it seems to me that Tillman is the one steering that ship. I don't think there will be much of a drop off in on field performance for the Terps. They have a lot of alumni available including Bernhardt at UVM, Brian Phipps from Georgetown and Mike Chanenchuk from Stony Brook.

Quite a ride for Benson, goes from getting fired at Hopkins to getting ready to coach youth lacrosse in Atlanta, to being an assistant for a team that lost once in two years to being a head coach at a Big East school. I still think Kirwan would have been the better choice. Brown was a pretty middling team before he arrived, then they become a Final Four team with him leading the offense. Obviously he's been very successful at UVA. He has roots to the area coaching at Brown. Also for selfish reasons I think UVA would take a step back if wasn't there anymore.

The Michigan thing is a bit interesting.

I believe Mike Phipps, who was an attackman at UMd, is the assistant coach at Georgetown, while his younger brother, Brian Phipps, who was a goalie at UMd, is the coach at Archbishop Spalding. Mike Phipps finished up at UMd in 2007, a bit before Tillman arrived.

I would say that it was more Pietramala, who was fired, while Benson got dropped with him.

The Michigan thing is a bit interesting.

I believe Mike Phipps, who was an attackman at UMd, is the assistant coach at Georgetown, while his younger brother, Brian Phipps, who was a goalie at UMd, is the coach at Archbishop Spalding. Mike Phipps finished up at UMd in 2007, a bit before Tillman arrived.

I would say that it was more Pietramala, who was fired, while Benson got dropped with him.
One thing that I will say about Bob Benson, regardless of what anyone thinks of his offensive schemes, his man-up sets are lethal.

Is Umass Lowell a better job than Manhattan? Maybe it's a conference thing? America East > MAAC

A bit surprising, Phipps is a Maryland guy and they obviously have the same opening.

A bit surprising, Phipps is a Maryland guy and they obviously have the same opening.

I am also surprised. Maybe just looking to walk to work. I do imagine Navy pays very well too though.

I am also surprised. Maybe just looking to walk to work. I do imagine Navy pays very well too though.

Phipps was an assistant at Navy prior to Georgetown and is an Annapolis native. Still he was associate head coach at Georgetown so it must be a serious pay bump.

Phipps was an assistant at Navy prior to Georgetown and is an Annapolis native. Still he was associate head coach at Georgetown so it must be a serious pay bump.
His wife is at Navy as well... The commute for Annapolis to DC sux, so this is huge from a quality living perspective... This is a very good hire for Navy.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom