2022 C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2022 C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
70C6F803-542E-4EF2-AA99-7B97245C1149.jpeg

Wait. A kid who only has one other P5 offer is in danger of leaving early? For what?

Come on people. Let’s try to have a bit of perspective here.
I know, it does sound ridiculous but who knows, maybe to play overseas? That said, how long he stays is the furthest thing from my mind right now. I'm just hoping he can contribute early, to some extent.

I know, it does sound ridiculous but who knows, maybe to play overseas? That said, how long he stays is the furthest thing from my mind right now. I'm just hoping he can contribute early, to some extent.
As long as the implication wasn't that he was going to leave early for the draft.

Is this kid even ranked? EDIT - Never mind, I looked myself. He's not ranked, and is currently a zero star recruit.

As long as the implication wasn't that he was going to leave early for the draft.

Is this kid even ranked? EDIT - Never mind, I looked myself. He's not ranked, and is currently a zero star recruit.
He hopes the kid stays 4 years - Is the poster allowed to wish for that? Did news of the new transfer rules hit Burlington yet?

No matter how raw a player may be, you really should only redshirt the player if he is injured or if there are enough guys at that player's position and there isn't an open roster spot. It would be foolish to redshirt Carey if there is roster room and a need for an additional front court player, and you get caught in a situation where a center or forward gets injured.

No matter how raw a player may be, you really should only redshirt the player if he is injured or if there are enough guys at that player's position and there isn't an open roster spot. It would be foolish to redshirt Carey if there is roster room and a need for an additional front court player, and you get caught in a situation where a center or forward gets injured.
Who will be left at the center spot when Carey gets here? I'm not doing the math this morning.

So we have parallel threads here but Carey doesn't look like a zero star recruit to me. Lol at the Ivy League stuff. I mean it's definitely noticeable that the make up of the roster is quite different the past few years. I'm not sure I know what that really means if anything for our success but it's noticeable for sure.

Back to Carey- I see a high level athlete that has some decent instincts and a skillset that has good foundations. We will know more after seeing how much he can build off of emerging out of nowhere in many respects. Definitely not a kid who looks like a guy who will take 3 years until he knows the game. Best case is he was missed for a long time and we found a gem. In the meantime you have Jesse and Frank hopefully both still at SU when he gets here.

Thank you. That seems right. So he won't need to play his frosh year.

Of course, given this new, post-portal world, we literally have no clue who will actually still be here, or not.

Conversely, we also stand to add players that way (Sy, Cole, and Junior all say HI!) - so it's clearly not a negative, just what it is.

But, at least in theory, we'd have at least one of Jesse or Frank to play the 5, so Mr. Carey could then work his way in slowly, and then be set to contribute a lot more as a Soph.

Shouldn't. And if he does play hopefully that's a huge positive.

Yeah I mean pending how things shake out the hope is that for 22-23 that Center is a pillar of the team with this year laying the groundwork.

Of course, given this new, post-portal world, we literally have no clue who will actually still be here, or not.

Conversely, we also stand to add players that way (Sy, Cole, and Junior all say HI!) - so it's clearly not a negative, just what it is.

But, at least in theory, we'd have at least one of Jesse or Frank to play the 5, so Mr. Carey could then work his way in slowly, and then be set to contribute a lot more as a Soph.

Now close your eyes and picture this, a coach who actually plays his big men from time to time, so they can improve faster by playing live competition ...

Redshirts count against the roster. If a kid is not going to play, a redshirt is great. It’s also not irreversible; someone gets hurt, play the RS.

Before he got on campus, I don't believe anybody thought Lydon would leave early for the NBA, either. Stuff happens. Players surprise and develop.

Before he got on campus, I don't believe anybody thought Lydon would leave early for the NBA, either. Stuff happens. Players surprise and develop.

Not so sure about that. In respect to Lydon he looked every bit the part coming into his freshman year and then was as advertised vs the cautious optimism we all had.

Nothing to do with Carey just speaking to Lydon and how good he looked.

Not so sure about that. In respect to Lydon he looked every bit the part coming into his freshman year and then was as advertised vs the cautious optimism we all had.

Nothing to do with Carey just speaking to Lydon and how good he looked.

He was ranked around 80th and weighed less than 200 lbs when we signed him, so I beg to differ than people expected him to depart early for the pros before he ever arrived on campus.

After his freshman year, people knew he could be very good, but that's not what the original poster said who you were responding to.

He was ranked around 80th and weighed less than 200 lbs when we signed him, so I beg to differ than people expected him to depart early for the pros before he ever arrived on campus.

After his freshman year, people knew he could be very good, but that's not what the original poster said who you were responding to.

It's been a minute but I know a few who mentioned he could be a possible two and done very early on. Wasn't the consensus but the opinion was out there. It doesn't matter just pointing it out.

It's been a minute but I know a few who mentioned he could be a possible two and done very early on. Wasn't the consensus but the opinion was out there. It doesn't matter just pointing it out.

Fair enough.

Not sure why you are including his weight. Sure, he was a bit small for a power forward, but I'm fairly certain we all knew he was going to be a 3-point shooting PF. Not one of us thought he'd end playing the 5 with the regularity he did. Which is where his weight didn't help him so much.

Yeah - many people were saying when we signed him that he was a 'reach', indicative that JB couldn't (or wouldn't) recruit top talent anymore, he didn't have a ton of top offers, he was too skinny, yada yada yada. :rolleyes:

Rico clearly outperformed his crootin rankings or any reasonable expectation of his abilities as a Frosh.

But - it's revisionist history to say that anybody knew he'd be good right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom