2022 C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2022 C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah - many people were saying when we signed him that he was a 'reach', indicative that JB couldn't (or wouldn't) recruit top talent anymore, he didn't have a ton of top offers, he was too skinny, yada yada yada. :rolleyes:

Rico clearly outperformed his crootin rankings or any reasonable expectation of his abilities as a Frosh.

But - it's revisionist history to say that anybody knew he'd be good right away.
FWIW. It’s interesting going through these old threads.

So we have parallel threads here but Carey doesn't look like a zero star recruit to me. Lol at the Ivy League stuff. I mean it's definitely noticeable that the make up of the roster is quite different the past few years. I'm not sure I know what that really means if anything for our success but it's noticeable for sure.

Back to Carey- I see a high level athlete that has some decent instincts and a skillset that has good foundations. We will know more after seeing how much he can build off of emerging out of nowhere in many respects. Definitely not a kid who looks like a guy who will take 3 years until he knows the game. Best case is he was missed for a long time and we found a gem. In the meantime you have Jesse and Frank hopefully both still at SU when he gets here.
Also important to keep in perspective, that the only reason he’s not ranked is because he didn’t play his Jr year of basketball, not because he’s not a good basketball player.

I think it’s safe to assume that he would have many more suitors on him, if Covid didn’t destroy his teams year last year...good for us anyway, maybe we don’t get him if he does.

But if there’s one thing I feel comfortable with, it’s our staffs ability to identify guys early before they blow up. So even with there not being much film on him up to this point, I fully expect Mr Carey to have a coming out party his last year of HS before he gets on The Hill.

FWIW. It’s interesting going through these old threads.
I recall that Lydon, though not ranked high, played very well his senior year of high school and received a lot of praise for his play on team USA (under 18) or a FIBA team, I don't recall, but pre-college. I remember watching him play in those games and he looked very skilled and talented.

I know, it does sound ridiculous but who knows, maybe to play overseas? That said, how long he stays is the furthest thing from my mind right now. I'm just hoping he can contribute early, to some extent.

I, on the other hand, hope he doesn’t contribute early. Edwards will be a senior and Anselem will be a junior when Carey hits campus… If Carey gets any playing time at all, it means that something has gone very wrong with one of those two guys.

I hope Carey sits for a year as either a redshirt or as an a "break glass in case of emergency" use and then backs up Anselem for a year then dominates after that. At that point, Carey will still have at least a year.

I, on the other hand, hope he doesn’t contribute early. Edwards will be a senior and Anselem will be a junior when Carey hits campus… If Carey gets any playing time at all, it means that something has gone very wrong with one of those two guys.

I hope Carey sits for a year as either a redshirt or as an a "break glass in case of emergency" use and then backs up Anselem for a year then dominates after that. At that point, Carey will still have at least a year.
Could mean he’s just really, really good. With his ball handling, he might be able to play some 4

Not sure why you are including his weight. Sure, he was a bit small for a power forward, but I'm fairly certain we all knew he was going to be a 3-point shooting PF. Not one of us thought he'd end playing the 5 with the regularity he did. Which is where his weight didn't help him so much.

The difference in weight between guys who are 190 and guys who are 210-220 is enormous. That's why Melo turned out to be a one-and-done. He weighed 190 when we recruited him, but after a year at Oak Hill, he showed up on campus at about 210, and just dominated people along the baseline, from Day One.

The difference in weight between guys who are 190 and guys who are 210-220 is enormous. That's why Melo turned out to be a one-and-done. He weighed 190 when we recruited him, but after a year at Oak Hill, he showed up on campus at about 210, and just dominated people along the baseline, from Day One.
Actually Melo was 220 on the SU site.

A whole lot to like here reading through this.
Sounds like he’s raw, but has the frame, athleticism and motor to be a high upside recruit.

Actually Melo was 220 on the SU site.

I thought that might have been later in the season that he put on the extra 10 pounds to get to 220. Didn't want somebody claiming I was exaggerating.

I thought that might have been later in the season that he put on the extra 10 pounds to get to 220. Didn't want somebody claiming I was exaggerating.
Not exaggerating at all. You were actually being conservative.

With a 12' wingspan.

Dude is a Pteranodon!!

1633019592844.jpeg

Just doesn't flow to me.
Most would have accepted Careydactyl, just sayin'

NICE.
Pterodactyl was my first thought.

But - The Google taught me that they actually weren’t overly large birds, max wingspan about 3’.

Meanwhile - PeteRanoDunk has a SEVEN METER (23’) wingspan.

My inner Rothstein just couldn’t resist that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom