2022 Coaching Carousel | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Coaching Carousel

Jay Williams today was saying that the loss of Smith may really harm the Duke incoming class and future recruiting and that it "might" open the door to coach K staying for the good of the program. He said Smith was the recruiter at Duke and that he thinks Louisville's recruiting will really take an upswing because of this.
I was gonna say that we should think about it targeting Nolan Smith as our future head coach. Apparently he’s one of the best young assistants in the country.

Last edited:
Thad Matta, Fran Dunphy and Steve Lavin are being begged to come out of retirement….if this doesn’t speak to the issue facing schools trying to hire coaches.

The “national search” people better start resetting their expectations.
Agreed. But Thad Matta is a really good coach and does it the right way. He got run out of Ohio State because of health issues and the negative recruiting around them.

I don't want to like this, but begrudingly, it seems to be the way of the world right now. Even teams kicking the tires on Sean Miller (hired by Xavier) and Wade seems to point to the lack of quality candidates.
This mindset is similar to why we rarely see new blood in the officiating ranks. Candidates may be out there - old time mindsets may be keeping them from the opportunity.

Agreed. But Thad Matta is a really good coach and does it the right way. He got run out of Ohio State because of health issues and the negative recruiting around them.
He’s still been out of coaching for several years. Not ideal.

Maybe. But his name hangs in the rafters at Ohio State and he and his family are well known in the area. I think we'll see him do well at Butler.

75D2773A-0307-41C1-91DE-8B144A66530B.jpeg

A name mentioned on TV about this staff is that WWW will now have a relationship with the program. Yippee.
It seems that this school is hell bent on getting the death penalty for basketball. At some point, one would think the chancellor or the BOT would start to get concerned.

Their last chancellor (I think they call the position president) left to take over Penn State. Which makes perfect sense.

WWW is currently an employee of the Knicks. This relationship is going to be a big problem for Louisville. Isn’t Louisville an Adidas school? WWW is usually involved with Nike schools.
Yes, Louisville is an Adidas school.

Louisville doesn’t care & I really don’t blame them. The NCAA is virtually powerless and will not drop severe penalties against any school with resources because they will get sued and lose even more authority.

The colleges will basically be calling the shots in the future and many of them (like the SEC) look out for only what’s best for themselves & want less rules and regulations.

Mention of Syracuse and JB by Seth Davis about best available jobs that could open up after next season.

https://theathletic.com/3261783/2022/04/22/best-offseason-coaching-hires-most-curious-choices-and-whos-next-on-the-carousel-roundtable/?source=user_shared_article

5. In 2023, what will be the best job available?

Davis: Hate to say it, but the bell is tolling for Jim Boeheim. Roy is gone, K is gone, and next season Buddy and Jimmy Boeheim will be gone from the Syracuse roster, too. Boeheim will be 78 in November, and last season the Orange failed to qualify for the NCAA Tournament for just the second time in the last 13 years. One thing Boeheim will need to consider is that the longer he stays, the less influence he will have on who his successor will be. The widespread assumption is that it will be Gerry McNamara, but Boeheim might want to do what Jim Calhoun and Bo Ryan did by at least forcing the school to name McNamara interim replacement by announcing his retirement before next spring. Or maybe he will follow the Coach K/Jon Scheyer model and get everything set before the season starts. Boeheim is a proud competitor with a Hall of Fame legacy, but he has to be careful about staying on too long.

Last edited:
Lots of speculation that St John’s coach Mike Andersen is going take the Tulsa job. Maybe Slick Rick returns to MSG.
Rick at St John’s - I luv it !!!

Rick at St John’s - I luv it !!!
Tulsa’s a better job than St John’s? Hmm. Anderson must want to be back down south. Not good for St John’s - they would then be on their 10th coach in 30 years since Carneseca left in 1992.

I’d hope so but as I’ve posted before, I don’t understand why our guys don’t ever seem to get mentioned for HC vacancies.
Who wants to hire ‘zone’ coaches???

A name mentioned on TV about this staff is that WWW will now have a relationship with the program. Yippee.

The only thing I care about Ville and WWW connection is if he can get Donovan Mitchell to the Knicks.

Otherwise, this is laughable, bc Ville just doesn't care about the NCAA, which is the way to go, I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom