2022 Fall Ball | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Fall Ball

At first I was gonna say that it looks like Deere isn't playing in this, but he is actually playing with a long pole! Not bad for an off ball guy eh? He is indeed #28. Can't tell if Bucktooth is playing or not.

Team USA (men and women )
Team Ontario
Team Haudenosaunee
Don’t think we had any mens recruits but there were a few girls
There is U16 U18 for all 3
Maryland mens vs Team USA
UNC Womens vs Team USA
Team USA White vs Blue
Thank you

At first I was gonna say that it looks like Deere isn't playing in this, but he is actually playing with a long pole! Not bad for an off ball guy eh? He is indeed #28. Can't tell if Bucktooth is playing or not.
It is a little wild seeing Deere playing defense. Towards the very end of the game, he tries to get down on the offensive end. Perhaps they just didn't have enough long sticks or something. Didn't look Brett Bucktooth was even on the sidelines. The other Bucktooth, Jameson, was playing on the defense.

The worst thing that IL does is these ridiculous "slide shows". I know they do it to drive up views on their website, but it drives me nuts. Anyways, no Syracuse players listed but felt worth sharing. Brown did share this note:

"There's also a host of Syracuse candidates who can breakout, but this list isn't for freshmen (with the Orange headlining the Class of 2022 Power 100) and it's not for comeback player of the year candidates coming off injuries like Owen Hiltz."

If we had to pick a candidate for the Orange, I'm not sure who I would pick as a breakout player. Most of the assumed starters are either freshmen, like Brown said, or veterans who have already broken out (Mark, Hiltz, Simmons, Kirst). I would go for Caccamo but I guess it depends on your definition of "breakout". He should be the number one cover man and will have an improved goalie backstopping his unit, as well as an improved SSDM crew.

The worst thing that IL does is these ridiculous "slide shows". I know they do it to drive up views on their website, but it drives me nuts. Anyways, no Syracuse players listed but felt worth sharing. Brown did share this note:

"There's also a host of Syracuse candidates who can breakout, but this list isn't for freshmen (with the Orange headlining the Class of 2022 Power 100) and it's not for comeback player of the year candidates coming off injuries like Owen Hiltz."

If we had to pick a candidate for the Orange, I'm not sure who I would pick as a breakout player. Most of the assumed starters are either freshmen, like Brown said, or veterans who have already broken out (Mark, Hiltz, Simmons, Kirst). I would go for Caccamo but I guess it depends on your definition of "breakout". He should be the number one cover man and will have an improved goalie backstopping his unit, as well as an improved SSDM crew.

Clary is crazy fast and will be totally healthy this year. Will likely be starting at close D instead of backing up Olexo at LSM. May also be asked to cover teams fastest attack with Figueras red shirting. Certainly a potential breakout candidate if he can do a good job limiting ankle breaking dodgers next year. Just need the D as a unit to be acceptable for anyone to care though.

For the Terps they had Owen Murphy. I thought Owen Murphy broke out the 2nd half of the season this past spring. He started the season on the 2nd midfield and moved into more and more playing time on the attack as the season went on. He had 25 points in the last 10 games. It seems a little akin to "hedging on one's bet" to pick Murphy.
They mention Spanos, but Spanos is a red-shirt freshman.

I think Daniel Kelly would be the best pick for the Terps. He had 2 goals in the first game against the USA and then 1 in the second game. (The Terps starters tended to play just the first half of each game). Another couple possible picks would be Jack Brennan and Jack Koras.

Cole Kirst might be a reasonable pick for Syracuse. He only had 30 points for Lehigh last season.

For the Terps they had Owen Murphy. I thought Owen Murphy broke out the 2nd half of the season this past spring. He started the season on the 2nd midfield and moved into more and more playing time on the attack as the season went on. He had 25 points in the last 10 games. It seems a little akin to "hedging on one's bet" to pick Murphy.
They mention Spanos, but Spanos is a red-shirt freshman.

I think Daniel Kelly would be the best pick for the Terps. He had 2 goals in the first game against the USA and then 1 in the second game. (The Terps starters tended to play just the first half of each game). Another couple possible picks would be Jack Brennan and Jack Koras.

Cole Kirst might be a reasonable pick for Syracuse. He only had 30 points for Lehigh last season.

Yeah good call on Kelly. When I think of “Breakout” player, I think of a non freshmen who either hasn’t gotten playing time, or just hasn’t produced that much. To me, the perfect example is Sergio Salcido. He had five assists in his sophomore year but “broke out” for 53 points as a junior. That’s an extreme example, but the IL writer seems to have just picked good players who he just expects to be better. That’s not terribly interesting to me. Call up some coaches and ask them directly.

Yeah good call on Kelly. When I think of “Breakout” player, I think of a non freshmen who either hasn’t gotten playing time, or just hasn’t produced that much. To me, the perfect example is Sergio Salcido. He had five assists in his sophomore year but “broke out” for 53 points as a junior. That’s an extreme example, but the IL writer seems to have just picked good players who he just expects to be better. That’s not terribly interesting to me. Call up some coaches and ask them directly.
Agree 100%. The beat writers are not doing due diligence in this case. The 'breakout" really depends on if the coaching staff is committed to it. As you said, interview the staff and then make prognostications. That said though, coaches these days think its central to their job to be cloak and veil. I disagree with this for lacrosse. Give these kids some public momentum and positivity to help them reach their next level.

I think you can have a "Breakout" with a player who had a decent year if he follows it with a really outstanding year, but it has to be a really large jump in production. Like Schutz, who had 30 points last year, would have to jump to 60+ to break out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom