2022 Fall Ball | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Fall Ball

I actually spoke to Jake Murphy last nite. He was at Cuse last week with the team and at practice. Coach Petro showed him film of the D . He told him he ran the same D at LIU. He said Troy Reh taught them this defense at the beginning at LIU then had to dummy it down. He said it's not complicated but he thinks being the DMs we're all O mids in HS they just lack experience in it. That's why they get confused. Maybe last yr Coach Petro should have dummied it down but this yr they should be a lot more comfortable and understand it more. He said it's a very good defense when everyone knows what to do. I mean this is Cuse that was LIU so they should be able to handle the system. I would think being in the 2nd yr they will all be more comfortable and understand it. Murphy is a natural leader so I'm sure come practice in January he will help the DMs understand it. It's just his nature. The D should be improved this yr.
Certainly helps explain some of the SSDM problems. Other than the successful Bubba Fairman experience, doesn’t Maryland usually turn poles into SSDMs rather than turning O mids into SSDMs?

He could come in the fall he had to finish his student teaching. He will be there January. He's no longer with the LIU program. I mean really?

Certainly helps explain some of the SSDM problems. Other than the successful Bubba Fairman experience, doesn’t Maryland usually turn poles into SSDMs rather than turning O mids into SSDMs?
I think more SSDM are being recruited now. It's no longer just move a freshman to DM to play right away which is good. Kids are taking to the position now. Like Murphy loves it and rather play DM. His favorite player is Ryan Terafenko so I think more kids are wanting to play it in Hs and be recruited as a DM.

He could come in the fall he had to finish his student teaching. He will be there January. He's no longer with the LIU program. I mean really?
That's awesome. I missed that. I've been monitoring the Cuse.com roster and did not see him - that explains why.

We did have a very solid defense in 2019 and it featured lots of ssdm run by Grant Murphy and Andrew Helmer, both primarily long poles. They played alongside Peter Dearth who made up for the lack of ssdm experience with his insane speed and strength. This year hopefully Vinnie Trujillo gets some run out of the gate (or Gait) since he has played strictly ssdm through high school and might have a better IQ for the rotations. Aviles has so much experience now that the fact he played a lot of offense in high school shouldn't matter any more.

Syracuse on the Verge of a Resurgence, Really? - Lacrosse Playground

Lol. This dude suuuucks. He is like a parody of the people freaking out about gear. Legitimately puts the changing of sticker decals on par with Dordevic transferring. Literally says "Would the Powell brothers allow that to happen? Would Ric Beardsley?" I'm dying here!

Not to mention strawmans all over the place. Was anyone legitimately acting like it would be smooth sailing after we beat Holy Cross? Lol. Another complete loser in the world of lax media I'm afraid. Can't wait until we silence these bozos.

Lol. This dude suuuucks. He is like a parody of the people freaking out about gear. Legitimately puts the changing of sticker decals on par with Dordevic transferring. Literally says "Would the Powell brothers allow that to happen? Would Ric Beardsley?" I'm dying here!

Not to mention strawmans all over the place. Was anyone legitimately acting like it would be smooth sailing after we beat Holy Cross? Lol. Another complete loser in the world of lax media I'm afraid. Can't wait until we silence these bozos.
Honestly, they are the worst. That publication, if you can even call it that, is terrible. Zero value in anything they do. I'm not sure if its O'Neill or one of the Alford brothers who writes the content and monitors their Twitter, buts bad all around.

Honestly, they are the worst. That publication, if you can even call it that, is terrible. Zero value in anything they do. I'm not sure if its O'Neill or one of the Alford brothers who writes the content and monitors their Twitter, buts bad all around.
Look I will take it all back if that "Would the powell brothers allow this" line is satire, because that would be a legitimately funny line, but the sad thing is I really don't think it is! Just priorities I will never understand.

Not to mention strawmans all over the place. Was anyone legitimately acting like it would be smooth sailing after we beat Holy Cross?
it's a terrible troll article but the answer to this question is basically yes. i distinctly remember comments in the holy cross game thread about how the defense looked better than last year (lol), "best ball movement in years," "statement win," comments about how gait was transporting the team back to the 90s. Twitter was full of "Cuse is back!" type comments. I believe it was JeremyCuse who was the voice of reason trying to temper expectations based on how bad the opponent was.

it's a terrible troll article but the answer to this question is basically yes. i distinctly remember comments in the holy cross game thread about how the defense looked better than last year (lol), "best ball movement in years," "statement win," comments about how gait was transporting the team back to the 90s. Twitter was full of "Cuse is back!" type comments. I believe it was JeremyCuse who was the voice of reason trying to temper expectations based on how bad the opponent was.
You forget they could’ve won the Maryland game, probably should’ve. They overcame the bad start only to be undone by some terrible officiating. There was reason for hope after that game.

You forget they could’ve won the Maryland game, probably should’ve. They overcame the bad start only to be undone by some terrible officiating. There was reason for hope after that game.
You may be getting your bad ref games mixed up. I don’t recall anything to terrible in that game. But I was certainly excited that we hung with the top dogs for 3 quarters. Heck I was saying loudly that our defense improved. Embarrassing I know, but holding Maryland to 14 last year was something many teams failed to do. Totally reasonable to be excited at that point, but it turned out to be the Ds best performance that year…by far

You may be getting your bad ref games mixed up. I don’t recall anything to terrible in that game. But I was certainly excited that we hung with the top dogs for 3 quarters. Heck I was saying loudly that our defense improved. Embarrassing I know, but holding Maryland to 14 last year was something many teams failed to do. Totally reasonable to be excited at that point, but it turned out to be the Ds best performance that year…by far

Yeah it was a bit of a rough start in the 1st quarter but after that they played Maryland about as well as you could have hoped. I think that was certainly Bobby Gavin's best game last season.

Lax2020 runs that site

I will attempt to redirect the conversation.

Regarding the defensive struggles of the last 5-7 years, under two different defensive coordinators, what does everyone think the root cause is? They’ve had talent, but probably not enough. They’ve had national championship winning coaches, but the schemes haven’t been effective. They had Peter Dearth, but not enough SSDMs near or at his level.

And relating this to fall ball, did anyone see anything at the scrimmages that would suggest that a turnaround is near?
For me, the d is only as good as the least competent player among the six. When one ssdm or one long stick breaks down all the other players are effected and must move to repair the damage. When there are two players who break down say 25% of the time, the pressure on the others is intense. It is only when all six can avoid a breakdown for a reasonable percentage of the time that a defense can click. In my opinion, SU has not enjoyed six very competent defenders in the last few years. When coaches resort to zone defense, it is often to hide the weak player or players.

When there is a breakdown the other defenders as individuals feel the impulse to rectify. This creates anxiety among the whole defense which curdles to a lack of trust in all six, just as a weak goalie creates high anxiety among the defenders and leads to impulsive over reaction and confusion. SU recent goalies have not engendered a lot of confidence. In hockey the the same dynamics hold. No matter what the scheme, complex or simple, the team will experience head scratching confusion when both goalie and at least one defender screw up. All this is to say recruiting a very competent goalie and six able defenders should always be a priority for coaches. Not every defender needs to be Joel White, but each should aspire to be.

Funny he said the attack has a combined 1 yr of experience so Simmons isn't a grad student? He only mentions Kirst not Simmons who is a very good player. Kirst isn't just about scoring he brings so much more to the team just look at the world games this summer. Coach Meyers said he was the heart and soul of the team. He will do whatever is asked of him. Good teams need guys like that. Teams of all allstars and no leaders never win anything. When teams have leaders like that the whole team follows. Kirst plays his heart out too and don't think his teammates won't see that and follow. Especially the freshman. He's also a good player who can invert, dodge and shoot. He doesn't need to be Tucker this team has plenty of scorers and it's a different offense with ball movement. It's gonna be great when he looks like a fool come tournament time and SU is back playing in it this yr, next yr and 2024 which he thinks they finally will. What a clown

Who’s in it
Team USA (men and women )
Team Ontario
Team Haudenosaunee
Don’t think we had any mens recruits but there were a few girls
There is U16 U18 for all 3
Maryland mens vs Team USA
UNC Womens vs Team USA
Team USA White vs Blue

Team USA (men and women )
Team Ontario
Team Haudenosaunee
Don’t think we had any mens recruits but there were a few girls
There is U16 U18 for all 3
Maryland mens vs Team USA
UNC Womens vs Team USA
Team USA White vs Blue
The roster has Deere #28 and Bucktooth #29 on the Haudensaunee U-18 team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom