2022 Inside Lacrosse Power 100 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Inside Lacrosse Power 100

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst

1. Joey Spallina, A, Syracuse | Mount Sinai (N.Y.)
5. Finn Thomson, A/M, Syracuse | St. Michael’s (Ont.)
6. Riley Figueiras, D, Syracuse | St. John’s (D.C.)
11. Billy Dwan, D, Syracuse | Loyola Blakefield (Md.)
20. Jimmy McCool, G, Syracuse | New Hampton (N.H.)
24. Luke Rhoa | M | Syracuse | St. John’s (D.C.)
26. Michael Leo | M | Syracuse | St. Anthony’s (N.Y.)
38. Dylan Sageder | LSM | Syracuse | Mount Sinai (N.Y.)
44. Carter Kempney | M | Syracuse | Carthage (N.Y.)
74. Vinny Trujillo | SSDM | Syracuse | St. John’s (D.C.)

Last edited:
Definitely is intriguing to see where some guys landed.
Surprised they are not a little higher on Larkin (17) for MD. Guy just seems like a total monster. I think Marquis at Hopkins (59) is a little better than where they have him. I watch some of these MD teams now since we have some guys from there. Jordan Wray (32) at Calvert Hall is seriously good and should probably be higher. Looked just as good as Truitt Sunderland. Aidan Maguire headed to Duke looked amazing on offense in that National Allstar Game and is a seriously big and strong guy. They both have him fairly low (53) and listed as an SSDM. Odd.

Only guy who maybe dropped a little for us was Carter Kempney (44), but we know Ty is not gonna show any love unless you are LI, MD/VA, or a 60k a year prep school! (Joking...but only slightly).

Surprised they are not a little higher on Larkin (17) for MD. Guy just seems like a total monster. I think Marquis at Hopkins (59) is a little better than where they have him. I watch some of these MD teams now since we have some guys from there. Jordan Wray (32) at Calvert Hall is seriously good and should probably be higher. Looked just as good as Truitt Sunderland. Aidan Maguire headed to Duke looked amazing on offense in that National Allstar Game and is a seriously big and strong guy. They both have him fairly low (53) and listed as an SSDM. Odd.

Only guy who maybe dropped a little for us was Carter Kempney (44), but we know Ty is not gonna show any love unless you are LI, MD/VA, or a 60k a year prep school! (Joking...but only slightly).
thought the same thing about Maguire, maybe TX is a little biased and doesn't want to look bad for excluding from the UA All American Game. I thought Maguire was one of the top players in the National Allstar Game

Sooo.. is carter kempney not any good actually? Well I know he’s good but I guess he isn’t 5 star good like we previously thought

Sooo.. is carter kempney not any good actually?
Kempney has the speed and dodging ability to be a force in D1. He's a football running back and it shows. Besides Spallina he is probably the best dodger we have coming in this year. Seen him in a few different games now and I am still buying plenty of Kempney stock.

Kempney has the speed and dodging ability to be a force in D1. He's a football running back and it shows. Besides Spallina he is probably the best dodger we have coming in this year. Seen him in a few different games now and I am still buying plenty of Kempney stock.
Thank you for the insight! I’m excited again lol

Thoughts on other other middies ranked higher than carter? (Rhoa, Leo)

Really nice haul by the Orange, and not for nothing this class ranks up their with the best that IL has put together since they started doing a "Power 100" in 2007. What that might mean long term of course is another question entirely. But having 10 recruits on the top 100 ties them with "best recruiting class of all-time", 2007 UVA (Bratton twins), 2013 Maryland (Matt Rambo, Tim Rotanz, Conor Cannizaro), and 2009 Johns Hopkins (John Greely, Chris Lightner, Zach Palmer). The only team that I can find that listed more players on the Power 100 was last years North Carolina with 11 (Dewy Egan, Paul Barton, Anthony DeMarco).
It's very impressive that SU has three players in top 10 (not a case when the list was initially put together), including the number one recruit in Spallina. Like Lexus pointed out, Thomson was a late add to the Five Star group once he flipped and Figuerias went from Four Star to the number 6 overall player.

When you start nitpicking, compared to other top classes, Syracuse looks very strong. I would say they compare favorably to that Maryland group which went on to a ton of success. The Terps had three in the top 10 but of course Rambo was infamously ranked number 2. Hopkins had two in the top 10 with Greely at 1 and Chris Lightner at #9. UNC might have the most total recruits, but their highest ranked recruit was Egan at #10. UVA's of course was legendary at the time in that the Bratton twins were ranked #1 and #2. Overall they had four of the top 5 recruits and their six other recruits were ranked in the top 52 of the list.

Of course all of this really doesn't matter, it's what they do on the field that counts. Of the teams listed Maryland and UVA combined for two titles. The Hopkins class was infamously nicknamed the "Transformational Class" or something like that by a poster on LaxPower and is mocked pretty regularly. The young Tar Heels have only one season under their belt but last year was a disappointment and not a lot of them played. A lot of these players transferred or didn't play much.

Long story short, the rankings are nice to read about but the sooner the team tears them up and focuses on the field, the better.

Thoughts on other other middies ranked higher than carter? (Rhoa, Leo)
Rhoa is a crazy good shooter. Also had some really nice feeds and finesse plays in the couple games I have seen of St. Johns. Not a crazy speedy guy so there may be an adjustment there, but he could see the field early with his shot alone. Not the same body type but maybe could have a Lucas Quinn sort of role for us.

Leo is a long islander but plays some indoor lax and it shows. Very reliable shooter/finisher on the left wing. Not slow but dodges more like a smaller canadian would. More Jeff Teat/Ethan Walker type iso moves than Curry/ dordevic speedy stuff. Shows a lot of patience and maturity as a decision maker in the St. Anthony's games I have seen. One of our insider types says he is apparently turning heads in practice.

Rhoa is a crazy good shooter. Also had some really nice feeds and finesse plays in the couple games I have seen of St. Johns. Not a crazy speedy guy so there may be an adjustment there, but he could see the field early with his shot alone. Not the same body type but maybe could have a Lucas Quinn sort of role for us.

Leo is a long islander but plays some indoor lax and it shows. Very reliable shooter/finisher on the left wing. Not slow but dodges more like a smaller canadian would. More Jeff Teat/Ethan Walker type iso moves than Curry/ dordevic speedy stuff. Shows a lot of patience and maturity as a decision maker in the St. Anthony's games I have seen. One of our insider types says he is apparently turning heads in practice.
you described Leo very well. His demeanor on the field, calm, perceptive, opportunistic impressed me every time I saw him. He can also skip pass with the best. Sometimes his teammates took head shots because they were unprepared. Excited to see him on the field next Feb.

Quite the fall for Georgetown's Henry Caponiti. From 5-star to not even in the top 100. I guess if you get hurt you might as well be dead in Xanders' eyes lmao
I think Caponiti has been playing, but Brunswick has been loaded and Caponiti's game seems quite limited. He's big and thick, so maybe he was big when he was young and could dominate. James Matan has been injured a lot, but Xanders had him really high, so I don't think that's it. Matan has shown ability lately. Has Caponiti?

Such great insight from you. Thanks. Expect me to ask you a lot more about the freshman and recruits! Any word on Joey spalinna? I haven’t heard any word on how he’s been doing in practice or scrimmage

Yes, but Thomson and Figueras were both recruited by the Gait/Petro/March crew. They got a couple more outside the top 100 as well.
Do you think the 2022 recruiting class was a fluke? How are you feeling about 2023 & 2024 class. Peyton Anderson I’m super high on and so is everyone else but outside of that. How well do you think the 23 & 24 classes are looking from gait

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom