2022 Inside Lacrosse Power 100 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Inside Lacrosse Power 100

The reason I love lax is the variety of ways you can be a good player. You could go the traditional too big too strong too fast route or you could just be some kind of wizard in a certain aspect of the game.
Agreed

Know who didn’t have elite foot speed? Lyle. He turned out pretty well, I believe.
You're underrating him IMO; he was athletic enough that he played midfield his entire career up until his sophomore year at Albany. He wasn't Mikey Powell but he had enough burst to get a half step. And a half step was all he needed given his combination of size/strength/skill.

You're underrating him IMO; he was athletic enough that he played midfield his entire career up until his sophomore year at Albany. He wasn't Mikey Powell but he had enough burst to get a half step. And a half step was all he needed given his combination of size/strength/skill.
I’m not underrating his foot speed. It’s not elite, but thats not the point. The point is his lack of foot speed didn’t stop him from being arguably one of the best of all time.

Ehh maybe not crazy elite, but he is a serious athlete if ever there was one. He's pretty darn fast IMO. But he is a guy whose stick skills, vision, shooting, IQ, what have you, is so good that even if he wasn't a serious athlete he would still be a force out there. Often I'm most impressed with his balance when he's dodging. That's not exactly speed but that is serious athleticism and strength.
None of those things have to do with elite foot speed. Pretty sure everyone who plays this sport is an athlete in one way or another.

I’m not underrating his foot speed. It’s not elite, but thats not the point. The point is his lack of foot speed didn’t stop him from being arguably one of the best of all time.
not sure what you're talking about, lyle's agility was pretty elite. huge difference between straight-line sprint speed and short-area quickness. lyle had the latter in spades, which is far more important as an attackman. that's what we mean when we talk about foot speed. go watch his albany highlights and take note of how often he ran by people and won the race from X to GLE, or how he could gain separation almost at will with quick footwork

not sure what you're talking about, lyle's agility was pretty elite. huge difference between straight-line sprint speed and short-area quickness. lyle had the latter in spades, which is far more important as an attackman. that's what we mean when we talk about foot speed. go watch his albany highlights and take note of how often he ran by people and won the race from X to GLE, or how he could gain separation almost at will with quick footwork
Yeah I was confused because Lyle definitely has quick feet. He can stop on a dime and also reverse direction like it's nothing. His stick skills are ridiculous but so are a lot of players its the fact he has both great footwork and stick skills that makes him so potent.

I have watched first hand. Agility and foot speed are not the same thing. He did run by defenders, but does that mean his foot speed is elite or were those defenders just slow? America East doesn’t have a ton of representation on the defensive end in the PLL.

I have watched first hand. Agility and foot speed are not the same thing. He did run by defenders, but does that mean his foot speed is elite or were those defenders just slow? America East doesn’t have a ton of representation on the defensive end in the PLL.
I don't know why you seem so intent to die on this hill. Lyle wasn't Joey Sankey or Billy Bitter, but he had very good foot speed, which combined with his otherworldly vision and stick skills made him an uber recruit.

And regardless of what attributes he used to do it, Lyle was a great dodger who could consistently win a one-on-one matchup. That's ultimately what I mean by a game-breaking skillset; usually that requires a certain level of foot speed and athleticism, but it's really about the end result of being able to beat your man one-on-one. In the opening round of the 2014 NCAA tournament, he eviscerated Joe Fletcher (Schmeisser Award winner as the top defenseman in the nation) time and again like no one had ever done before.

are the PLL defensemen any good? because Lyle is still leading the league in points now as a pro

foot speed and agility are pretty similar. Lyle is quick and has great feet. he's not a world-class 100 meter dash sprinter but then again no attackmen are. genuinely have no idea what you're even talking about at this point lmao

I don't know why you seem so intent to die on this hill. Lyle wasn't Joey Sankey or Billy Bitter, but he had very good foot speed, which combined with his otherworldly vision and stick skills made him an uber recruit.

And regardless of what attributes he used to do it, Lyle was a great dodger who could consistently win a one-on-one matchup. That's ultimately what I mean by a game-breaking skillset; usually that requires a certain level of foot speed and athleticism, but it's really about the end result of being able to beat your man one-on-one. In the opening round of the 2014 NCAA tournament, he eviscerated Joe Fletcher (Schmeisser Award winner as the top defenseman in the nation) time and again like no one had ever done before.
The point was and is and always has been that Trey Deere does not have to have elite foot speed in order to be considered or possibly considered a top five recruit in his class. Lyle was used as an example of not having elite foot speed.

The point was and is and always has been that Trey Deere does not have to have elite foot speed in order to be considered or possibly considered a top five recruit in his class. Lyle was used as an example of not having elite foot speed.
But Lyle's foot speed and overall athleticism are still miles ahead of what Deere's are; I would argue that he does have elite foot speed. But regardless, whether you agree on the traits or not Lyle was not just a stick skills guy; he was an elite two-way midfielder with great dodging ability and vision. Deere is not what I would call a great dodger even at the high school level and he certainly lacks the athleticism to be an elite midfielder. He's also not an elite feeder. He has a very specific skillset; great finisher who can create his own shot when defenses take bad approaches or a primary dodger draws the defense out of alignment.

Got mine coming.
51758CCB-BA8D-430D-851A-0758952D80C5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors