2022 Inside Lacrosse Power 100 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Inside Lacrosse Power 100

Surprised they are not a little higher on Larkin (17) for MD. Guy just seems like a total monster. I think Marquis at Hopkins (59) is a little better than where they have him. I watch some of these MD teams now since we have some guys from there. Jordan Wray (32) at Calvert Hall is seriously good and should probably be higher. Looked just as good as Truitt Sunderland. Aidan Maguire headed to Duke looked amazing on offense in that National Allstar Game and is a seriously big and strong guy. They both have him fairly low (53) and listed as an SSDM. Odd.

Only guy who maybe dropped a little for us was Carter Kempney (44), but we know Ty is not gonna show any love unless you are LI, MD/VA, or a 60k a year prep school! (Joking...but only slightly).
I think considered as a close defenseman, #17 might be reasonable for Larkin, but as a LSM Larkin's offensive skills, array of checks, and good size and speed give him the potential to be a particularly outstanding LSM.

U think so? I’m high on him but he’s in the 40’s for top 100 recruits on most sites
Yeah he just won Co MVP in a tourney that had Leo Hoffman and McCabe Millon, he's been killing it in the Canadian Indoor league. And he dominated in big Prep games this past spring. IL hasn't updated the '23 in a while. Trey has been #43 since he committed in Sept of 2021. If you watch a full game you can just tell he has that IT factor.

Yeah he just won Co MVP in a tourney that had Leo Hoffman and McCabe Millon, he's been killing it in the Canadian Indoor league. And he dominated in big Prep games this past spring. IL hasn't updated the '23 in a while. Trey has been #43 since he committed in Sept of 2021. If you watch a full game you can just tell he has that IT factor.

I don't know if he's top 5, but there aren't 42 kids better than him in '23.

Last edited:
By the way I just wanna clarify that I’m not arguing or being negative I’m just picking your guys brains about our new talent so I can get new insight with who we’re getting. Thanks for the responses as always. And thanks to Powellfan DoctahLexus

By the way I just wanna clarify that I’m not arguing or being negative I’m just picking your guys brains about our new talent so I can get new insight with who we’re getting. Thanks for the responses as always. And thanks to Powellfan DoctahLexus
Oh I know, I'm sorry if my response came off as snarky.. Didn't mean for it to. Just from my perspective and the games I've watched I think Deere is a beast and personally I think he'll be a top '23 kid by the next ranking update.

Oh I know, I'm sorry if my response came off as snarky.. Didn't mean for it to. Just from my perspective and the games I've watched I think Deere is a beast and personally I think he'll be a top '23 kid by the next ranking update.
Nope not snarky at all. I just wanted to clarify because it’s hard to understand people through text most of the time

Deere does not have the foot speed to be a top 5 player in the class. He is an elite finisher with excellent vision and has room to grow as a dodger but i'm not seeing the type of athletic profile needed to climb into the top 5 or 10. I could see him climbing into the 20s or 30s with a good senior season at Salisbury

Deere does not have the foot speed to be a top 5 player in the class. He is an elite finisher with excellent vision and has room to grow as a dodger but i'm not seeing the type of athletic profile needed to climb into the top 5 or 10. I could see him climbing into the 20s or 30s with a good senior season at Salisbury
Agreed. Foot speed wise I don’t think it’ll matter as much as you think being at attack

ncylax nailed it. Deere is very special and unique in what he does. But at the high D-1 level, it's not a game-breaking skill set. He is going to be a very useful and impactful player at the next level, but it will be as a complementary piece. I think his ranking is fair. He's never going to be a first team AA (I doubt he's ever second team AA either), but if Spallina is everything he has shown himself to be thus far, and Deere can win the lefty attack spot, his complimentary skills could be maximized in a similar vein to Mac O'Keefe with Grant Ament and Kevin Lindley with Pat Spencer.

ncylax nailed it. Deere is very special and unique in what he does. But at the high D-1 level, it's not a game-breaking skill set. He is going to be a very useful and impactful player at the next level, but it will be as a complementary piece. I think his ranking is fair. He's never going to be a first team AA (I doubt he's ever second team AA either), but if Spallina is everything he has shown himself to be thus far, and Deere can win the lefty attack spot, his complimentary skills could be maximized in a similar vein to Mac O'Keefe with Grant Ament and Kevin Lindley with Pat Spencer.
Any word on how spalinnas been doing in practice

I have heard he looks as good as advertised and is also a sponge. Just wants to win and will do whatever he is asked. He wants to win right away this yr he's hungry. Straight from upperclassman who are excited he's there. This kid is gonna be legit and reach all the expectations.

I have heard he looks as good as advertised and is also a sponge. Just wants to win and will do whatever he is asked. He wants to win right away this yr he's hungry. Straight from upperclassman who are excited he's there. This kid is gonna be legit and reach all the expectations.
Is this true because I have heard next to nothing about him this fall. If so thanks for this! Good to hear

I can think of a few guys over the years who have a skill set similar to Deere’s and have reached 2nd and 1st team AA. Could even think of one who got the Tek Award recently in Miles Thompson. Certainly plenty who were crucial players on a team. You need to have a minimum level of athleticism to be elite but there are more ways to do it than just sprinting past a long pole.

Also it’s too early to even say exactly what his skill set is. He’s still got a year of high school left. Heck he may be more of an athlete than you anticipate. He at least appears to be a very strong guy who can play through contact.

I can think of a few guys over the years who have a skill set similar to Deere’s and have reached 2nd and 1st team AA. Could even think of one who got the Tek Award recently in Miles Thompson. Certainly plenty who were crucial players on a team. You need to have a minimum level of athleticism to be elite but there are more ways to do it than just sprinting past a long pole.

Also it’s too early to even say exactly what his skill set is. He’s still got a year of high school left. Heck he may be more of an athlete than you anticipate. He at least appears to be a very strong guy who can play through contact.
Miles Thompson also played on an attack line with one of the Mount Rushmore attackmen in the history of the college game. That line mate also happened to be his brother, whom he had played with his entire life and formed a level of chemistry with that I don't see Spallina/Deere being able to match.

Regardless, whilst the two helped each other for sure, Miles doesn't get first or second team AA without Lyle, whereas Lyle is a first teamer and Tewaarton winner without Miles

Miles Thompson also played on an attack line with one of the Mount Rushmore attackmen in the history of the college game. That line mate also happened to be his brother, whom he had played with his entire life and formed a level of chemistry with that I don't see Spallina/Deere being able to match.

Regardless, whilst the two helped each other for sure, Miles doesn't get first or second team AA without Lyle, whereas Lyle is a first teamer and Tewaarton winner without Miles
But Albany is not nearly as good a team without Miles or Connor Fields working with Lyle. Lyles stats are not as off the charts without those two. It's not just a simple task that anyone can do. Also both were no slouches in iso moves that did not involve incredible foot speed. And you don't need to be brothers to develop that level of chemistry either. Gaudet with Morrill and Reeves, Laviano with Kraus and Moore. Those teams won natties and they don't win them with just any old person playing the role of a facilitator and offball guy. Why not Spallina Hiltz and Deere or Spallina Thomson and Deere? They haven't played together yet so how do we know? And again, I think it is way too early to say that he will look like a Gaudet or Laviano in college, which you seem to think is set in stone. He's a smart player and while I originally saw him as an offball guy, he has shown a lot of patience and skill as a ball carrier and passer.

What about a guy like Zach Miller? Not small but not the biggest guy either. Not slow but certainly not a guy who beat people by just sprinting by them. It was all about how he controlled the ball and baited defenders into making mistakes. There are numerous examples of guys like that who get to the rack in ways that don't involve their elite athleticism. Way to early to be saying what his ceiling is or putting him in a box, besides the OJLL league of course ;)

But Albany is not nearly as good a team without Miles or Connor Fields working with Lyle. Lyles stats are not as off the charts without those two. It's not just a simple task that anyone can do. Also both were no slouches in iso moves that did not involve incredible foot speed. And you don't need to be brothers to develop that level of chemistry either. Gaudet with Morrill and Reeves, Laviano with Kraus and Moore. Those teams won natties and they don't win them with just any old person playing the role of a facilitator and offball guy. Why not Spallina Hiltz and Deere or Spallina Thomson and Deere? They haven't played together yet so how do we know? And again, I think it is way too early to say that he will look like a Gaudet or Laviano in college, which you seem to think is set in stone. He's a smart player and while I originally saw him as an offball guy, he has shown a lot of patience and skill as a ball carrier and passer.

What about a guy like Zach Miller? Not small but not the biggest guy either. Not slow but certainly not a guy who beat people by just sprinting by them. It was all about how he controlled the ball and baited defenders into making mistakes. There are numerous examples of guys like that who get to the rack in ways that don't involve their elite athleticism. Way to early to be saying what his ceiling is or putting him in a box, besides the OJLL league of course ;)
I'm not saying that Spallina/Deere or whatever combination isn't good enough to win a title; it certainly is. All I was saying is that Deere to me is nowhere near a top 5 recruit. I don't think that's really a harsh criticism. Gaudet was a great player but not a top tier recruit either IMO. Same with Laviano. I would put Deere more in that category; a potential top 30-50 recruit who can be an effective complimentary player on a great attack line. Guys like Moore/Kraus/Reeves could play a number of different roles, including being THE guy; all could win their matchup against elite #1 defenders in the ACC/B1G. That's the most important skill for a true First team AA caliber attackman (a feat only one of those three ever accomplished), and that's what it takes to be a top 5 recruit IMO. That doesn't mean that every great dodging attackman pans out, but if you don't have that skill, I don't think you have the ceiling to be a top 5 recruit.

Know who didn’t have elite foot speed? Lyle. He turned out pretty well, I believe.
Ehh maybe not crazy elite, but he is a serious athlete if ever there was one. He's pretty darn fast IMO. But he is a guy whose stick skills, vision, shooting, IQ, what have you, is so good that even if he wasn't a serious athlete he would still be a force out there. Often I'm most impressed with his balance when he's dodging. That's not exactly speed but that is serious athleticism and strength.

The reason I love lax is the variety of ways you can be a good player. You could go the traditional too big too strong too fast route or you could just be some kind of wizard in a certain aspect of the game.

I think what some people are getting wrong about Deere is his stick skills far outweigh his foot speed. U feed it to him down low and he’s gonna finish it. U feed it to him up top he’s physical enough to get close to either get a shot off or feed it to an open man. His passing is exceptional. His stick skills and control even more so. Not saying he’s slow or unathletic but he doesn’t need to blow by guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom