2022 Lineup Predictions | Syracusefan.com

2022 Lineup Predictions

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
With the start of the season nearly upon us, I thought this might be a good time to try and predict what the lineup for SU might look like this season. I was pretty accurate with last year's projections for the first game of last season, but of course the lineup that the Orange started with last year looked very different from the one they finished with. It just goes to show how volatile these things can be. I will start with the offense first, then follow up with a post about the face-off and defense later. I know there are members on this board with more first hand knowledge, so please feel free to point out where I am wrong. I've factored in a couple of things posters like Jeremy have mentioned already. Hopefully this gets a decent discussion going about what we might see out there from the Orange this season. Some positions are pretty close to be a sure thing, some I honestly have no idea about. I am going with what I think they will look like, and not what I think they should look like.

Attack: Tucker Dordevic, Owen Hiltz, Owen Seebold

This unit has a chance to be very good this season. Dordevic and Seebold offer two very good dodging options, with a Thunder and Lightening look. Dordevic can shake and bake and Seebold offers a large frame for defenders to contend with. Hiltz, to me, has First Team All American potential and is the best passer and shooter on the team. I imagine Seebold will occupy the space behind the goal with Dordevic to his right and Hiltz on the left. There are of course questions. I think both Dordevic and Seebold need to be better passers, both sometimes get tunnel vision when charge to the goal. Hiltz needs to be more assertive, he is no longer a freshman and a good chunk of the offense needs to flow through him. Also, while Seebold got his feet wet at attack last year, and Dordevic has been dodging against long poles since he was a freshman, this is the first time both will be full time starters on attack. The bench has some options in Mikey Berkman Liam Ferris or Brett Tenaglia, but the fact that they moved Dordevic down from midfield probably isn't a good sign for them.

First Midfield: Jacob Buttermore, Brendan Curry, Lucas Quinn
We've spent a lot of time on the first midfield line, so I'll try and keep things brief. Curry is the alpha male of this group which means he will get the pole each and every game. He needs to be a lot more consistent than he was last year. He scored half of his points in just three games last year, and never scored more than two in the other 10 games he played. That just isn't good enough. I think over the past couple of years he's relied too much on his speed and quickness to run by defenders. He can't rely on that as much anymore. He needs to add some more moves to arsenal. Quinn can be a very good complimentary midfielder, he shoots well from the outside, and while he isn't the level of dodger that Curry/Dordevic/Trimboli is, he also isn't simply an outside sniper. His issues the last few years have been mental, but last year he seemed to clean that up. Buttermore is the wildcard of the group. He scored 20 goals in 2019 which is almost unheard of for a second line midfielder. But 2020 he looked out of sorts and last year his season was cut short by injury. He's had just six goals in the last two years (13 games). If he can rebound he can be a really dynamic scorer. The other question is his health. I have no idea who would take his spot on the first line if he isn't ready to come back. Which brings us to the uncertainty surrounding the second line.

Second Midfield: Jackson Birtwistle, Griffin Cook, Tyler Cordes
This really is a shot in dark. The second midfield could be three totally different players and it wouldn't surprise me in the least. I chose Birtwistle since it seems like he's gotten a lot of chatter on this board. His high school tape is impressive, he looks like an aggressive dodger with a big shot. Cook will probably illicit some groans, but I think they give him another shot. He has been really inconsistent these last two years, but he does have talent and also would bring a veteran presence to the line that does not have much. I also like the idea of him being able to invert as a midfielder. If he doesn't produce there are lot of other options on the bench. I picked Cordes simply based on Jeremy's intel. I like Cordes high school tape a lot, undersized but pure hustle. If nothing else, hopefully this line can inject some energy on the field as Cook is also relentless. Again, lots of other options - Tengalia put up a lot of points at Furman as an attackman, Peter Fiorini and Matt Magnan have the high school accolades, Blake Borges and Mateo Corsi are freshmen who seem to have a lot of athleticism and potential. I imagine there will be a lot of mixing and matching with this line until the coaches are satisfied.

Okay, thanks for reading, Face-off and Defense coming up later.

If opposing teams were smart, they will short Curry and slide to him with the pole. He will run by a shorty or pole off the initial dodge regardless, better off having a pole arrive to him. I think I would then pole Quinn and apply pressure whenever he has the ball?

I'll be interested to see what Buttermore looks like upon return from his ACL injury. He wasn't in fantastic shape before then, I'm not sure he has the stamina to run with the first line for 60 minutes. Look for Birtwhistle to jump to that first line...

I think Tengalia will find a way on the field somehow...

Birtwistle will be breakout player this year

Quinn will disappoint on the first line. I don't think he can feed consistently and is really a one trick pony with an hard outside shot.

If opposing teams were smart, they will short Curry and slide to him with the pole. He will run by a shorty or pole off the initial dodge regardless, better off having a pole arrive to him. I think I would then pole Quinn and apply pressure whenever he has the ball?

I'll be interested to see what Buttermore looks like upon return from his ACL injury. He wasn't in fantastic shape before then, I'm not sure he has the stamina to run with the first line for 60 minutes. Look for Birtwhistle to jump to that first line...

I think Tengalia will find a way on the field somehow...

Birtwistle will be breakout player this year

Quinn will disappoint on the first line. I don't think he can feed consistently and is really a one trick pony with an hard outside shot.

Interesting idea on shorting Curry and then running the pole at him but very difficult to implement. You would need an elite level SSDM and a very quick LSM and a defense that is excellent in rotating. I don't see it being viable for most teams as SU would simply spread the field and force the defense to leave someone open when the LSM comes screaming in at Curry. With guys like Hiltz and Dordevic and Quinn who can all sling it much less Buttermore who is deadly with time and room I can't see most teams trying it.

Interesting idea on shorting Curry and then running the pole at him but very difficult to implement. You would need an elite level SSDM and a very quick LSM and a defense that is excellent in rotating. I don't see it being viable for most teams as SU would simply spread the field and force the defense to leave someone open when the LSM comes screaming in at Curry. With guys like Hiltz and Dordevic and Quinn who can all sling it much less Buttermore who is deadly with time and room I can't see most teams trying it.
True. With Currys straight line speed it makes it more difficult. Teams did do it to Tucker and slide to his rollback, which was a bit easier to predict.

I'll finish up my lineup prediction for the 2022 season with the defense.

Face-off: Jakob Phaup, Jack Savage, Jack Fine
An area of concern for me, the FOGO group struggled mightily in big games for the Orange last year. Phaup returns, and if you didn't know any better you'd think he had a strong season with a 57% winning percentage. But in games where he didn't win the matchup, he only won 30%. That includes back to back weeks where he won only 2 of 16 combined face-offs against Duke and Notre Dame. We thought Savage might be the savior of the unit but he ended up only taking 24 total draws and won just eight of them. Gait brought in TD Ierlan, arguably the best FOGO of all time to help with the unit. The hope is that Ierlan can coach the unit up and Phaup will have a year to adjust to the new rules. The other issue is depth, the unit only has three FOGOs including one freshman. That is a very low number (last year's team had double that). Wings also need to be much better than they were last year. Phaup led the team with 70 groundballs last year, but the next closes player to him was Kennedy with just 46. He most likely will be moved to close defense so someone else will need to emerge.

Short stick Defensive Midfidlers: Dami Oladunmoye, Brendan Aviles, Max Rosa, Carter Rice
Another big issue for the Orange last year was the SSDM position, and now the unit losses their best player in Peter Dearth. This unit was picked on again and again last year and was the victim of injuries and Covid related absences. Aviles looked like a future star at the position in 2020 but took a step back last year as he battled injuries. He is very aggressive and can cause turnovers, but too often last year was taken to the woodshed. Hopefully he's fully healthy this year and can return to his freshman year form. Dami has had a lot of playing time over his SU career but has never really taken "the leap". His footwork just has never looked right. He has good size and speed so the potential is there, but he needs to realize it. Rosa had some nice moments last year and could be a big threat in transition (see his goal from this summer where he rips the net on a shot). I don't love his size but that isn't going to change. Rice got rave reviews from the Fall Scrimmage and it sounds like he could be an early contributor. There are some other players on the roster who have experience with a short stick (Grant Murphy, Brett Barlow and Saam Olexo) but have grabbed a long stick. Might we see one of them make a move back to SSDM if this unit struggles?

Long Stick Midfield: Landon Clary, Nick Fraterrigo, Tommy Drago
Big shoes to fill for whoever grabs this roll as Brett Kennedy moves to close. Clary looked pretty good in the limited games he saw last year (he was injured against UVM), but its hard to make a definitive evaluation based on just three games (and he's coming back from injury). Fraterrigo flies in under the radar as a DII transfer but I feel like I've read his name enough to think he might be the backup here. He has good size at 6'3 200 and comes from a strong high school (Niksy). Drago was mentioned by Desko the fall ball of his freshman year but we haven't' seen anything yet from the NJ product. There are a lot of LSMs listed on the roster (7 not including Kennedy).

Close Defense: Brett Kennedy, Nick Caccomo, Nick DiPietro
This is a tough call. Kennedy seems poised to become the alpha defender for this group, a tall task. Syracuse really struggled against the top attackmen in the county last year with Mitch Wykoff trying to cover them. Just look at the numbers Pat Kavanaugh put up against the Orange. Kennedy has had a mixed record as a close defender, but I think he is still the best actual defender on the team. Caccomo comes in with a good deal of hype as a four-star recruit and transfer from Yale. But he hasn't played competitive lacrosse since his junior year of high school I beleive. I thought DiPietro was a decent help defender last year and the defense seemed to suffer when he was lost for the season in the Albany game. He will need to improve his stats, just four caused turnovers and 13 groundballs. Grant Murphy also comes back and was a starter last year. I picked DiPietro over Murphy for the simple fact that I thought he got beat less than the fellow fifth year. Murphy did lead the team with a humble 16 caused turnovers and DiPietro is coming off an injury so I could definitely see the Texan starting. Whoever is a starter must do a better job of communicating and sliding as last year's unit seemed all over the place. A tall order for new coach Dave Pietramala. Nick Hapney and Cole Horan also have starting experience.

Goalie: Bobby Gavin
A tough call, and certainly not a position I think will be settled early in the season, I go with the transfer since he has game experience. Harrison Thompson should get a shot too and I wouldn't be surprised if they rotated both goalies early in the season until one of them solidifies their spot. Hopefully whoever wins the job will push transition and be a good communicator.

Okay, that is my take on the 2022 Orange roster. Curious to hear what others have to think about how the Orange will line up this season. I imagine we won't get much clarity on the lineup until the Orange take the field against Holy Cross in two weeks, but it's fun to speculate!

So who stood out that can step into the other attack spot? Berky? Cook? Ferris? Some other up and comer?

Naturally our two best lefty attack candidates, Ferris and Tenaglia, are both coming off of major injuries. I believe that new recruit Finn Kelly is also a left attack. Seem to recall he was hurt too. Because of course!

Naturally our two best lefty attack candidates, Ferris and Tenaglia, are both coming off of major injuries. I believe that new recruit Finn Kelly is also a left attack. Seem to recall he was hurt too. Because of course!

Ferris and Tenaglia will both be back, I believe Tenaglia is already. Finn Kelly is a different story.

Hmmm…that’s scary that you don’t even have an idea of what’s gonna happen.
just because we don't know who is going to fill that position doesn't mean the coaching staff doesn't

Hmmm…that’s scary that you don’t even have an idea of what’s gonna happen.

I have some ideas but none of them are optimal unfortunately.

At this point Cook will likely get the initial crack at it, he's had enormous struggles but apparently has looked good this year (take from that what you will).

There are other options but none are great.
Berkman is now 2 years removed from his knee injury and is a QB type of attackmen, perhaps he could make a play for PT. Ferris showed flashes last year but is hurt/coming off an injury, hard to ask Ferris who is essentially a Freshmen to suddenly be the 3rd starting attackmen. Corsi has show well but again no experience at all and he's true frosh. HE's also had some runs at middie and is more of a finishing attackmen. Tenaglia would in theory be an option as well but his health status is unclear and we haven't heard his name since the fall of 2020.

You could move Birtwistle back to attack, that maybe one of the better options but again your going off of HS tape and he was hurt most of last year and didn't play a second. Another option would be to move Dordevic back to midfield and strengthen that spot and roll with Cook and someone else and hope for the best. Probably the least likely option at this point but not out of the realm of possibility especially if the rumblings about him not exactly excelling at attack are true.

Personally I don't think there really is a good answer. If the midfield sans Dordevic holds up I think you look at Cook and several guys and see if you can find an answer for that third spot. If the midfield is a mess to, I think you move Dordevic back and run him, Curry and Quinn on the 1st line and put together whatever you can attack and probably move Birtwistle there.

Either way you need next years class to get here ASAP

Whoever fills in for Hiltz will have big shoes to fill. The team loses its best passer and best shooter, which of course will be really hard to replace. The early candidates to replace him seem to me to be very different players. Ferris is a dodge first attackman whose style reminds me a lot of players already in the starting lineup. Brett Tenaglia, another lefty is a more well rounded player, who if he can replicate his freshman year stats at Furman for SU, could be difference maker. He had an almost even number of goals and assists which is what you might expect from Hiltz. But he also turned the ball over 16 times which is a lot.

Mikey Berkman is a pass first attackman who might compensate for Hiltz but he's a righty and I'm not sure how that would work with two other righties on attack. He also hasn't seen the field since he's been at SU and if he didn't get worked into the rotation at the end of last year when Scanlan was suspended, it's hard for me to picture him in the starting rotation.

Same for Cook with the right handedness.

They could also move Corsi or Birtwiste back to attack, but if they've both been at midfield since fall that sounds tough to yank them back.

Anyways, if reports are true that SU only scored three goals in their last scrimmage against Michigan, it sounds like there definitely wasn't any newcomer who "broke out" or took advantage of the opportunity. Not a good sign for depth and it definitely doesn't make things easier when it comes to picking a successor.

I mentioned this in another thread and I certainly don't mean to tamp down on the speculation because honestly that's the fun part of all this but my thinking is it pretty much does not matter who slots in at attack #3. The season is not going to hinge on who that person is. At best they will be the fourth option in the offense behind Dordevic, Seebold, and Curry. Maybe even behind Quinn as well if his role expands. You want someone, ideally a lefty, who is not going to turn the ball over and is an accurate shooter to take advantage of the room he will likely get with most defensive attention being put on his teammates. So whoever that person is is who I'd go with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom