2022 Masters | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Masters

Something I didn't know: I sorta assumed that the Masters theme was written and performed by John Tesh.

Turns out it was Kenny Loggins' third cousin:

That guy had previously gifted the world with "Please Come to Boston" and has had a pretty decent career in music.

Felt like Nance was trying to hard with his catch phrases "hello, friends" and "one for the ages." I don't need to hear it multiple times a hour. I would rather quite honestly just listen to Faldo. I know many do not like Faldo but I enjoy his candor.

My only real issue with the Masters this year was the leaking in of "get in the hole!", "mashed potatoes!", etc
It used to be the one event where the crowd was an old school golf crowd and not a NFL crowd. It makes me a bit sad that it too is changing.

Please use the correct term - the patrons.

I generally don't mind Jim Nantz, but the slobberfest with Tiger that aired before the start of yesterday's live coverage crossed over into parody and high comedy for me.

They have an entire series of "Masters Memories" episodes that they show before the Masters coverage, because the Masters coverage is limited on CBS. Its not a Tiger exclusive series - they show the 1986 Jack victory one all the time as well.

Golf has been looking for the next Tiger. There have several candidates, but no one has done it. Think Jordan, Dustin, Rory, maybe a couple of others. None have done it. The hype for this guy will start now.

Golf was in a bit of a stagnant stage between 2010-2013 and it was still a more "experienced" man's game (and even a few year before that). Luke Donald was #1 in the world for 56 weeks (remember that?). Lee Westwood, Martin Kaymer, Adam Scott, and a recovering Tiger (in 2012-2013) were #1 in that stage. Phil hung around. Rory certainly was near the top as well. But for the most part that was an "Experienced" player era. Golfers hit their peak around 30-35.

That changed with the Big 3 that emerged in 2015 when many thought a new "Big 3" was forming, including me -- Rory, Jordan Speith, and Jason Day. They had been dominating the recent majors and were all less than 30. Youth had not dominated like this in recent years.

And now fr the most part these guys have been replaced - since those 3 there has been runs by the following at #1 -- Dustin Johnson, Jon Rahm, Justin Thomas, Brooks Koepka, Scottie Scheffler.

Just think of the rookie class that started in the summer of 2019 -- Hovland, Morikawa... I think Scheffler was the year before that

Golfers are hitting their peak at such an early age -- creates ridiculous depth. Its hard to stay on top for any prolonged period -- you will just be replaced by the next hot golfer who has things figured out that year. The #1 spot I think will just be recycled by quite a few over the next handful of years.

That being said Scheffler has opened a decent sized lead (more than one victory). If he continues to play well this summer even without victories he could have a fairly long run (for these days) at world #1.

Golf was in a bit of a stagnant stage between 2010-2013 and it was still a more "experienced" man's game (and even a few year before that). Luke Donald was #1 in the world for 56 weeks (remember that?). Lee Westwood, Martin Kaymer, Adam Scott, and a recovering Tiger (in 2012-2013) were #1 in that stage. Phil hung around. Rory certainly was near the top as well. But for the most part that was an "Experienced" player era. Golfers hit their peak around 30-35.

That changed with the Big 3 that emerged in 2015 when many thought a new "Big 3" was forming, including me -- Rory, Jordan Speith, and Jason Day. They had been dominating the recent majors and were all less than 30. Youth had not dominated like this in recent years.

And now fr the most part these guys have been replaced - since those 3 there has been runs by the following at #1 -- Dustin Johnson, Jon Rahm, Justin Thomas, Brooks Koepka, Scottie Scheffler.

Just think of the rookie class that started in the summer of 2019 -- Hovland, Morikawa... I think Scheffler was the year before that

Golfers are hitting their peak at such an early age -- creates ridiculous depth. Its hard to stay on top for any prolonged period -- you will just be replaced by the next hot golfer who has things figured out that year. The #1 spot I think will just be recycled by quite a few over the next handful of years.

That being said Scheffler has opened a decent sized lead (more than one victory). If he continues to play well this summer even without victories he could have a fairly long run (for these days) at world #1.
I thought Scheffler drove the ball poorly yesterday and still was comfortably below par. His short game during the final round with all that pressure was amazing.

They have an entire series of "Masters Memories" episodes that they show before the Masters coverage, because the Masters coverage is limited on CBS. Its not a Tiger exclusive series - they show the 1986 Jack victory one all the time as well.
Oh, I know. I watch them every year, and Nantz always goes heavily for the emotion. This one just seemed over the top, perhaps because of what I know of Tiger and his parents, and how they've had no problem steamrolling various people along the way.

No. It had nothing to do with the story. Nantz has done this before. I don't care about someone's religious preferences. (BTW, Jim, 'religion' and 'fundamentalist Christianity' aren't the same thing.) Doesn't make Scheffler better or worse than anybody else, except it does to Jim Nantz, who has, for example, referred to John Wooden and Tony Dungy as 'saintly' people. As opposed, say, to the guy who steered all those players to UCLA when Wooden was the coach.

It simply does not belong in a sports broadcast. Although, to be fair, The Masters is hardly a CBS broadcast, it is by contract a valentine to the tournament itself. No broadcaster fellates the Masters like Jim Nantz fellates the Masters.
I am sure the Masters folks don't mind the discussion. If you know going in that you don't enjoy Nantz's take, mute works great.
BTW, the only place that speaking about faith doesn't belong is in government sponsored things. Everywhere else, vote with your feet and your wallet.

I think the real question is whether he'll ever be able to contend in a Major again. He's never gonna be 100% whole from the injuries. While he can adapt better than virtually anybody from the loss of his prodigious length, which was a true weapon, he especially looks uncomfortable when he's not playing from flat lies.

While some talked about how Augusta is such a tough walking course, the fact is that nobody knows every detail of that course like Tiger. Were he ever to contend in a Major again, I think it'd be there. However, we may be well into the nostalgia act (Nantz ad nauseum yesterday: 'Look at him smiling to the crowd') phase of his career.
Maybe St. Andrew's this July. He's won there before and it's flat

I wish Scheffler hadn’t played out of turn on 18 tee. That is bad form at best, and it’s hardly being talked about.

I wish Scheffler hadn’t played out of turn on 18 tee. That is bad form at best, and it’s hardly being talked about.
Wait, tell me more. In the dark about this. Could it have been accidental?

Wait, tell me more. In the dark about this. Could it have been accidental?

Smith birdied 16, Scheffler made par.
They both parred 17.
Scheffler went straight to the tee on 18 and hit.
He probably had a million things going on in his head, but it’s bad form and someone, like a Masters official, should have pointed it out. What if his lead was only 1 or 2?

They both parred 17.
He probably had a million things going on in his head, but it’s bad form and someone, like a Masters official, should have pointed it out. What if his lead was only 1 or 2?
Wow. I bet you’re right. Had to be just a nervous Brain fart. I mean look at his putts at the end.

or smith said i need to take a Pee break go ahead and hit and enjoy the moment.

it also means much less now because since 2019 they are playing ready golf rules so no order is really established. tradition says the tee order but its not really a rule

They both parred 17.
Would love to see a replay. I thought Smith hit his approach shot and then SS hit his but Smith's ball nor ball marker was on the green. They could just be showing stuff out of order.

I get why they did it this weekend, but in general, I think we're well past the point of needing to see so much Tiger unless he's in contention.
He still gets eyes on the sets but even before the accident he was trending down a bit. He had what one major win in 13 years?

He still gets eyes on the sets but even before the accident he was trending down a bit. He had what one major win in 13 years?
Clearly, everyone was fascinated with the return. Then he shot that 1-under. But, with reality having set in early during the weekend, he got an inordinate amount of attention.

We might as well resign ourselves to it even if he never regains form. He always will, because a lot of people want to see him.

I have never seen so many big stars scheduled for the end of the first round - must be a Masters TV thing.

JJ Spaun gets squeezed into the first group which is a twosome with Jose!?

I hope Rory wins but don't think it will happen. Scheffler is an obvious pick but doubt he wins - actually I doubt any single guy wins it - laugh. Maybe someone like Burns/Zalatoris/Hoge.

Can't wait to see them cover +4 Tiger three putting instead of covering the leaders.

Phil has to be very happy that Tiger is playing so most will ignore his story.
Well, the two guys that I mention that I doubt they win, finish first and second - one of my numerous terrible predictions.

Good for Rory, typical that he finishes in the top 10, but had no chance of winning. On the other hand, bodes very well for the future.

I did nail the Tiger one; 3rd round, 17th green, Tiger is 4 over and 3 putts while previous Masters winner, Danny Willet, has not been shown for a single moment - the entire weekend! Also, SJ Im, the first round leader, had two brief clips until Tiger finished.

Oh, I know. I watch them every year, and Nantz always goes heavily for the emotion. This one just seemed over the top, perhaps because of what I know of Tiger and his parents, and how they've had no problem steamrolling various people along the way.
The schmooze fest of Masters propaganda is over whelming - but it works! I flip through it because I only needed to hear it once back in 1974.

Clearly, everyone was fascinated with the return. Then he shot that 1-under. But, with reality having set in early during the weekend, he got an inordinate amount of attention.

We might as well resign ourselves to it even if he never regains form. He always will, because a lot of people want to see him.
I don't think so. I don't think Tiger will stay on tour if he's not competitive. People will lose interest pretty fast if he's not playing for the titles on a regular basis. TV knows what Tiger does for ratings when he's playing well.

Does anyone else refer to 1997 as “a win for the ages”?

It seems that Nantz is the biggest, and only, promoter of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom