2022 Masters | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Masters

You're ruining Nantz' moment.

Nantz ruined my enjoyment. Again. I'm enjoying Scheffler's walk up the 18th, and bleeping Nantz goes off on how Scheffler's a good person as he and his caddie bonded in some Bible study class.

Being 'religious' neither makes you a good or bad person, and it had absolutely nothing to do with his accomplishment. This isn't the first time Nantz has done this.

I guarantee you that he wouldn't have said that about, say, an atheist golfer who does good deeds.

I know it's a small thing, but this religion crap doesn't belong on a golf telecast.

Happy emotions can sometimes be harder on a golfer than pressure. If he needed the first putt to win I bet he makes it

Nantz ruined my enjoyment. Again. I'm enjoying Scheffler's walk up the 18th, and bleeping Nantz goes off on how Scheffler's a good person as he and his caddie bonded in some Bible study class.

Being 'religious' neither makes you a good or bad person, and it had absolutely nothing to do with his accomplishment. This isn't the first time Nantz has done this.

I guarantee you that he wouldn't have said that about, say, an atheist golfer who does good deeds.

I know it's a small thing, but this religion crap doesn't belong on a golf telecast.
It was even was worse on the CBS stream

I winced.

At least he got the names right. Im still waiting for him to pronounce one of our players names right.

Golf has been looking for the next Tiger. There have several candidates, but no one has done it. Think Jordan, Dustin, Rory, maybe a couple of others. None have done it. The hype for this guy will start now.

I winced.
Don't wanna get too off topic here. I'll simply quote Nantz himself on the subject:

“When I interviewed Tony Dungy last year at the Super Bowl, I got some flak about allowing him to talk about his personal faith,” Nantz told Baptist Press before the annual “Legends for Charity” dinner Jan. 31 in which he received the “Pat Summerall Award” for character, integrity and leadership.

“But I don’t think we should be so jaded or cynical that we don’t focus on the goodness of people and their faith,” Nantz said.

Not only do I disagree that the 'goodness of people and their faith' are the same thing (you find evidence of this falsehood several times every day), it simply has no place on a sports broadcast.

Except maybe NASCAR, which doesn't try to hide its Evangelical roots at all. Which is why in part its audience is plummeting.

Apologies, Mods, I'm back off my soapbox.

Golf has been looking for the next Tiger. There have several candidates, but no one has done it. Think Jordan, Dustin, Rory, maybe a couple of others. None have done it. The hype for this guy will start now.
Everyone is looking for the next tiger. You are going to be waiting a long time for that. He was a phenom. Golf needs those guys to just be really good.

That story ruined your enjoyment?

You need some DEI training.

Everyone is looking for the next tiger. You are going to be waiting a long time for that. He was a phenom. Golf needs those guys to just be really good.
Well, I didn't comment on whether you'd find another Tiger. Before Tiger, Nicklaus played the role, and before that, Arnie. Nor would I say golf needs anything. The popularity seems to be off the charts and the purses are wild.

There are plenty of great players out there right now. Maybe if ESPN would stop showing Tiger (not Tiger's fault btw) warming up on the range and focus instead on some of those other great players playing golf out on the course then we'd get more familiar with them.

There are plenty of great players out there right now. Maybe if ESPN would stop showing Tiger (not Tiger's fault btw) warming up on the range and focus instead on some of those other great players playing golf out on the course then we'd get more familiar with them.

I would not say great. I would say very, very good.

Spieth, Rory, etc. all had great runs but have fallen off the win map since.

Will be interesting to see if Scotty can win any more majors this year. Dude has been absolute fire.

I would not say great. I would say very, very good.

Spieth, Rory, etc. all had great runs but have fallen off the win map since.

Will be interesting to see if Scotty can win any more majors this year. Dude has been absolute fire.
The bigger point might be the depth of talent. Off the charts.

I get why they did it this weekend, but in general, I think we're well past the point of needing to see so much Tiger unless he's in contention.

That story ruined your enjoyment?

You need some DEI training.

No. It had nothing to do with the story. Nantz has done this before. I don't care about someone's religious preferences. (BTW, Jim, 'religion' and 'fundamentalist Christianity' aren't the same thing.) Doesn't make Scheffler better or worse than anybody else, except it does to Jim Nantz, who has, for example, referred to John Wooden and Tony Dungy as 'saintly' people. As opposed, say, to the guy who steered all those players to UCLA when Wooden was the coach.

It simply does not belong in a sports broadcast. Although, to be fair, The Masters is hardly a CBS broadcast, it is by contract a valentine to the tournament itself. No broadcaster fellates the Masters like Jim Nantz fellates the Masters.

I get why they did it this weekend, but in general, I think we're well past the point of needing to see so much Tiger unless he's in contention.
I think the real question is whether he'll ever be able to contend in a Major again. He's never gonna be 100% whole from the injuries. While he can adapt better than virtually anybody from the loss of his prodigious length, which was a true weapon, he especially looks uncomfortable when he's not playing from flat lies.

While some talked about how Augusta is such a tough walking course, the fact is that nobody knows every detail of that course like Tiger. Were he ever to contend in a Major again, I think it'd be there. However, we may be well into the nostalgia act (Nantz ad nauseum yesterday: 'Look at him smiling to the crowd') phase of his career.

Tiger and Arnie had the charisma factor. Jack and Phil also had it, perhaps to a lesser extent.

Rory has it, he just doesn't dominate like I think a lot of us assumed he would.

So many great young golfers now, but I have yet to see someone able to assume that mantle.

Of course, that's why they're all-time greats.

I am not religious at all, but I do value how top athletes are able to channel their mental energy to rise to the occasion to be better than other top athletes. And some do it on a more consistent basis than others. Of all the sports, golf is more grueling and has more outside influences than other individual sports. So, to be the best at the game four times in a six-tournament stretch is a very amazing feat. It's probably not a coincidence that Scottie has a new caddy as part of his team. Someone who has been there before but also has very similar beliefs. So far it has been an amazing stretch for the two of them.

I am not religious at all, but I do value how top athletes are able to channel their mental energy to rise to the occasion to be better than other top athletes. And some do it on a more consistent basis than others. Of all the sports, golf is more grueling and has more outside influences than other individual sports. So, to be the best at the game four times in a six-tournament stretch is a very amazing feat. It's probably not a coincidence that Scottie has a new caddy as part of his team. Someone who has been there before but also has very similar beliefs. So far it has been an amazing stretch for the two of them.

They're an excellent team. Pretty sure the caddy was on the bag for Bubba Watson's Masters wins. Scheffler doesn't have that charisma thing going for him. At least, not yet.

I think that Morikawa might be the one to eventually wear the charisma mantle.

They're an excellent team. Pretty sure the caddy was on the bag for Bubba Watson's Masters wins. Scheffler doesn't have that charisma thing going for him. At least, not yet.

I think that Morikawa might be the one to eventually wear the charisma mantle.
Yup. That's one of the things the article I linked talks about.

In terms of being candid and an interesting interview, the Tour could really use Rory being good again. I don't mean shoot great on Sunday and sneak on the leaderboard good, I mean good, when it matters good.

Felt like Nance was trying to hard with his catch phrases "hello, friends" and "one for the ages." I don't need to hear it multiple times a hour. I would rather quite honestly just listen to Faldo. I know many do not like Faldo but I enjoy his candor.

My only real issue with the Masters this year was the leaking in of "get in the hole!", "mashed potatoes!", etc
It used to be the one event where the crowd was an old school golf crowd and not a NFL crowd. It makes me a bit sad that it too is changing.

I generally don't mind Jim Nantz, but the slobberfest with Tiger that aired before the start of yesterday's live coverage crossed over into parody and high comedy for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom