2022 Men’s U21 Championship: Aug 10-20 in Ireland | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Men’s U21 Championship: Aug 10-20 in Ireland

While I take the competition with a grain of salt beyond Canada , I think Aviles really showed what he is capable of in these games.

He had some incredibly impressive film in high school where he was absolutely dusting defenders in the same way and scoring many similar goals .

His first step and ability to throw off a defender is elite …I really hope the coaches seriously consider what he might be callable of Beyoncé his current duties ..could be a huge contributor

I'm really curious how good Aviles could be taking face offs with TD training him. The kid is quick, athletic and strong. He's scrappy I could see him being solid. Wouldn't need him to take a lot of face offs but maybe 30% of them. Then having him stay on for early offense or drop back on defense. To have a face off guy who can play offense and defense is such a weapon. He's a tough scrappy kid man he would battle out there. That would solidify the position and take a lot of pressure off the young transfer. Team Puerto Rico had the kid Baez who was a freshman at Jacksonville taking face offs so they didn't need him to. It has me curious to how solid he could be and the weapon he could be there
Maybe on the wing on faceoff's.

I'm really curious how good Aviles could be taking face offs with TD training him. The kid is quick, athletic and strong. He's scrappy I could see him being solid. Wouldn't need him to take a lot of face offs but maybe 30% of them. Then having him stay on for early offense or drop back on defense. To have a face off guy who can play offense and defense is such a weapon. He's a tough scrappy kid man he would battle out there. That would solidify the position and take a lot of pressure off the young transfer. Team Puerto Rico had the kid Baez who was a freshman at Jacksonville taking face offs so they didn't need him to. It has me curious to how solid he could be and the weapon he could be there

Interesting idea. I just wonder if it is feasible. The last competitive face-off Aviles took was probably four years ago. In his high school highlight video he is taking them with a knee on the ground which of course you can't do anymore. He'd be going against guys who eat, sleep and dream face-offs. He would be SU's top SSDM next year and I worry just a few draws a game might be asking too much. He was valiant on the wings last year, he fights and he scraps with the best of them. I'd rather see him focus on that roll and try and up his groundball stats (just 32 last year).

In terms of offense, I'd love to see more run and gun from the d-mids. But my feelings are that a team really needs to be solid in all other facets of the game before they let the D-mids shoot at free will. Similar to the discussion surrounding a third midfield, if a D-mid is taking a shot that means one of your traditional offensive players is not. In fast break situations it's best for a player like Aviles to take a shot - but in a settled situation, if a save were to happen then he might get stuck on defense again after just finishing a shift. And again, that means a player like Alex Simmons or Luke Rhoa isn't getting a shot or a shift. Just something to think about.

While I take the competition with a grain of salt beyond Canada , I think Aviles really showed what he is capable of in these games.

He had some incredibly impressive film in high school where he was absolutely dusting defenders in the same way and scoring many similar goals .

His first step and ability to throw off a defender is elite …I really hope the coaches seriously consider what he might be callable of Beyoncé his current duties ..could be a huge contributor
We need guys who can draw a slide next year with the loss of Dordevic Curry and Seebold. He deserves a look based on that alone.

Interesting idea. I just wonder if it is feasible. The last competitive face-off Aviles took was probably four years ago. In his high school highlight video he is taking them with a knee on the ground which of course you can't do anymore. He'd be going against guys who eat, sleep and dream face-offs. He would be SU's top SSDM next year and I worry just a few draws a game might be asking too much. He was valiant on the wings last year, he fights and he scraps with the best of them. I'd rather see him focus on that roll and try and up his groundball stats (just 32 last year).

In terms of offense, I'd love to see more run and gun from the d-mids. But my feelings are that a team really needs to be solid in all other facets of the game before they let the D-mids shoot at free will. Similar to the discussion surrounding a third midfield, if a D-mid is taking a shot that means one of your traditional offensive players is not. In fast break situations it's best for a player like Aviles to take a shot - but in a settled situation, if a save were to happen then he might get stuck on defense again after just finishing a shift. And again, that means a player like Alex Simmons or Luke Rhoa isn't getting a shot or a shift. Just something to think about.
He's much too valuable on defense to use him up at FO. I am skeptical of using performances at the U21 to measure his abilities. It seemed to me the US players were yawning through a lot of the games, even the championship.

We need to have a serious talk with WoodyUK about what he teaches those young players across the pond!

He's much too valuable on defense to use him up at FO. I am skeptical of using performances at the U21 to measure his abilities. It seemed to me the US players were yawning through a lot of the games, even the championship.
FO can be a defensive position as well - especially when going up against an elite FO. I can definitely see him taking some draws, mixing things up, creating some excitement.

Should that player be called out ?
It's quite nasty. Honestly across all sports it's pretty rare to see such a blatant intent to injure in a total dead ball situation. Dirty knee to knee type stuff does happen but usually in a game situation or maybe right after the whistle.

FO can be a defensive position as well - especially when going up against an elite FO. I can definitely see him taking some draws, mixing things up, creating some excitement.
the energy expended on the FO and ensuing struggle for the ball compares to a minute wrestling a very strong opponent. It is exhausting. Maybe once or twice a game an ssdm who plays most of the game at his usual position can handle both well. Why not recruit an FO or transfer FO or train a second line mid to do it. Makes no sense to me to use Aviles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom