2022 Mets thread | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

SWC75

Bored Historian
Let's start a new one. With the lock-out, I'll begin with some old business: the dark side of the 'Dark Knight', (or 'Dark Night'):

How to mess up a great career. It still messes me up that Harvey-Wheeler-DeGrom-Syndergaard and Mattz pitched consecutive games exactly once. We've got only one left but it's the best one.

I miss Terry Collins.

I came across this 41minute clip of the last game of the Mets' 1986 regular season. Included are the post-game celebrations, including Willie nelson signing "Wind Beneath My Wings" and Kiner's Corner with Darryl Strawberry and Gary Carter.

Click on the Phenia Films link and you'll see many vintage games, including many from the Met's of the 1980's and later.

I came across this 41minute clip of the last game of the Mets' 1986 regular season. Included are the post-game celebrations, including Willie nelson signing "Wind Beneath My Wings" and Kiner's Corner with Darryl Strawberry and Gary Carter.

Click on the Phenia Films link and you'll see many vintage games, including many from the Met's of the 1980's and later.
Nice stuff.

The Mets added a starter yesterday. Chris Bassett, formerly of Oakland. He has gotten Cy Young votes the past 2 seasons. I think he becomes the 3rd starter. Walker and Carrasco are probably the 4th and 5th guys. With Peterson, Megill, Lucchessi, Yakamoto and Williams, there is plenty of depth. Probably the deepest team in MLB for starters now.

Hate mortgaging the future but another solid starter was needed. We have too many guys around 34 years of age that may or may not make it through the season. I think starting pitching depth is going to be a key this season. The shortened spring training and after effects of COVID are probably going to lead to more injuries to starting pitchers than normal.

I think the next step is to add a couple of relievers. Familia signed with the Phillies, so he is no longer an option. I expect McNeil will be traded for another second baseman. Looks like he and Lindor are not compatible. It is a shame because McNeil is a terrific hitter and we will be trading him when his value is low. We aren’t trading Lindor……

Let's start a new one. With the lock-out, I'll begin with some old business: the dark side of the 'Dark Knight', (or 'Dark Night'):

How to mess up a great career. It still messes me up that Harvey-Wheeler-DeGrom-Syndergaard and Mattz pitched consecutive games exactly once. We've got only one left but it's the best one.

I miss Terry Collins.

On the other hand, it's one more stretch of consecutive starts than we ever saw Paul Wilson, Bobby Jones, Jason Isringhausen, and Bill Pulsipher pitch...

I don't miss Terry. I miss Jerry Manuel. I miss Willie Randolph. Once in a blue moon I might even miss that goofy Bobby Valentine. But Terry was overmatched, and I'll never forget his bizarre Game 5 dugout shouting match with Harvey right before he came out too amped for the 9th and promptly melted down.

Here we go again:

A couple of years back they were marveling at the number of 100 MPH pitches Syndergaard was throwing and he wound up not pitching for two years and then leaving the tam. DeGrom won two Cy Youngs without anyone lauding him for 100 MPH pitches. then last year he was throwing them at a record pace but couldn't finish the season. His first spring training start they said he was healthy now and he was back to flamethrowing and now he has tightness in his shoulder.

Just get 'em out! To heck with the JUGS gun! :mad:

Here we go again:

A couple of years back they were marveling at the number of 100 MPH pitches Syndergaard was throwing and he wound up not pitching for two years and then leaving the tam. DeGrom won two Cy Youngs without anyone lauding him for 100 MPH pitches. then last year he was throwing them at a record pace but couldn't finish the season. His first spring training start they said he was healthy now and he was back to flamethrowing and now he has tightness in his shoulder.

Just get 'em out! To heck with the JUGS gun! :mad:

Uggh. I'm done hoping for a healthy rotation anymore.

Why can't we have nice things

We have them but we break them.

1648859233344.png

Scherzer scratched from today's start. Mets will have an 'update on his condition'.

Best-case scenario--slight hammy issue.

Scherzer scratched from today's start. Mets will have an 'update on his condition'.

Best-case scenario--slight hammy issue.
It’s almost like betting your whole season on the health of two pitchers older than 35 is not a great idea. Meet the new Mets… exactly the same as the old Mets. At some point the Mets need to stop focusing on flashy signings and build some organizational depth.

Right now they are in no man’s land as an organization. They don’t have enough pitching to build their team around their staff, they don’t have enough slugging to be a long ball team, they aren’t analytical or experimental enough to be a money ball team abs they don’t hit consistently enough, run well enough or defend well enough to be a grind it out team.

So what exactly are they? What is the plan?

It’s almost like betting your whole season on the health of two pitchers older than 35 is not a great idea. Meet the new Mets… exactly the same as the old Mets. At some point the Mets need to stop focusing on flashy signings and build some organizational depth.

Right now they are in no man’s land as an organization. They don’t have enough pitching to build their team around their staff, they don’t have enough slugging to be a long ball team, they aren’t analytical or experimental enough to be a money ball team abs they don’t hit consistently enough, run well enough or defend well enough to be a grind it out team.

So what exactly are they? What is the plan?

Well, they're not exactly the old Mets. They now can spend the money of a drunken sailor (or somewhat like him) to achieve the same result. I thought relying on DeGrom was particularly risky. I figure that Max will be back pretty soon, and will be real good.

Mets with their opener for the 40th time in 61 seasons :) :

That's the best opening day winning percentage in the major leagues. The thing is, they were 0-8 in the 1960's and are 40-13 since. That's .755! :p

I only wish it were some kind of predictor of what kind of season it was going to be. :oops:

Last edited:
Mets with their opener for the 40th time in 61 seasons :) :

That's the best opening day winning percentage in the major leagues. The thing is, they were 0-8 in the 1960's and are 40-13 since. That's .755! :p

I only wish it were some kind of predictor of what kind of season it was going to be. :oops:

Just saw this. I already subscribe to various streaming so I can get SNY and ACC networks. Was I suppose to buy AppleTV now to watch Scherzer’s first game a a Met? Shame not to be able to watch it
it was not that long ago that people would have paid $20-50 for access to watch a single SU PPV game and many of us did.. now you can stream something like apple+ for less than the cost of a happy meal and we want to complain. you add up the cost of all the streaming channels for a yr and its the cost of going to 1 NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL game

Good to see the new additions producing out of the gate unlike Lindor last year. I really like Marte batting in the 2 spot with Nimmo leading off. Just need Lindor to get back to being himself at the plate for a whole year.

Good start for the pen too. Cautiously optimistic and hopefully they can get rolling even without deGrom and we get him back and keep the momentum. Fingers crossed in two weeks it's not an injury laden disaster..

it was not that long ago that people would have paid $20-50 for access to watch a single SU PPV game and many of us did.. now you can stream something like apple+ for less than the cost of a happy meal and we want to complain. you add up the cost of all the streaming channels for a yr and its the cost of going to 1 NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL game

But you can go to a movie theater and buy a ticket for that one movie. Or if you had a TV set, you could turn to whatever channel something was on and watch it. it was paid for by the advertisers. With a streaming service, to get any exclusive content, you have to subscribe to their service for a monthly or yearly fee. It seems like a business model that favors the provider over the customer, (which is why the providers created it).

Good to see the new additions producing out of the gate unlike Lindor last year. I really like Marte batting in the 2 spot with Nimmo leading off. Just need Lindor to get back to being himself at the plate for a whole year.

Good start for the pen too. Cautiously optimistic and hopefully they can get rolling even without deGrom and we get him back and keep the momentum. Fingers crossed in two weeks it's not an injury laden disaster..

A good start would be quite a nostalgic experience, bringing back memories of the 80's, (which I think was the last time we had one).

A good start would be quite a nostalgic experience, bringing back memories of the 80's, (which I think was the last time we had one).

A little bit of hyperbole there. We have had a few good starts since then ( and some fast crashes right after). If we can bolt out of the gate and then hopefully get good news on deGrom and get him back... fingers crossed.

My biggest positive so far is seeing immediate production from the new additions.