2022 MLB Season | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

2022 MLB Season

Wonder how long until the Orioles feel the need to step up for Adley? Good offense, but the difference he makes behind the plate has been huge.
That's a good question. I really blew it with him in fantasy. I was a bit too impatient when he started off slow the first week or so and released him. Whoops!

Adam let ESPN mic him for his pregame routine. Quite unusual for a starting pitcher, but I guess Adam is at the point in his career that he's ok with it.

This article has some interesting quotes by Buck Showalter on the roster limits:

"September call-ups aren’t what they used to be — teams are now required to have 28 players once the calendar hits Sept. 1 — instead of being able to go all the way up to 40 like the old days. Of those 28 players, only 14 can be pitchers. Buck Showalter has mixed feelings about the whole ordeal.

“I remember years ago when we eliminated Boston with a 37 or 38-man roster,” Showalter said, remembering his time in Baltimore. “I enjoyed winning the game, but I felt bad. Seriously! There was no way we could have competed with them with 25. But at 37, with six left-handed pitchers and six right-handed sidearmers, it wasn’t fair. It wasn’t right.”

With a new team under his wing, knowing that some extra help here and there would really go a long way, he’s aiming for a compromise. “Now that I’m in this position, I wish it was 30 instead of 28,” he admitted. “I’m glad that we got it down. But, now that I’m here, I wish it was 30.”

Showalter also pointed out that if the rosters went to 30 players, or as high as 35, it’d be much easier to give young minor leaguers a traditional audition. Now, with so few to choose from, the club’s hands are tied. The limited choices, plus being in a pennant race, means whoever gets called up will be expected to contribute rather than just test their stuff out in the big leagues.

“It’s hard,” Showalter conceded. “I think these are guys that are going to come in and contribute. It’s almost like a competitive thing more than wanting to know. I do miss that part, the curiosity, just seeing them in the locker room and BP and this environment. That’s kind of lost.”

Considering the expansion of both the starting rotation and the bullpen staff as well as the shrinkage of the minor leagues, why not just pus the roster limit up to 30 and make it that for every month? In the old days we had 4 man rotations and the top reliever was both a fireman and a closer who could pitch multiple innings. teams would have about 10 pitchers and 15 position players. you could have three catchers, two utility infielders, a couple of back-up outfielders and a pinch hitter. Nowadays they have 13-14 pitchers with the bench reduced to 3-4 players. Why not acknowledge the way the game has changed and push it to 30?

Time for one of these
Screenshot_20220905-002115.pngOrioles hanging tough!

Can't help but feel he comes up just short.

Tampa Bay and Toronto began a 5 game series today. Jays took the opener.
Mariners have a 2 game set with the Padres, then final 20 against teams with sub .500 records.
Screenshot_20220912-185703.png

Kind of a big deal? It's not Jackie Robinson or Texas Western, but it's something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom