2022 Portal | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Portal

At the same time, I have heard of stories that when you enter the portal, there is no requirement for the previous/current coach to keep you if you want to withdraw your name from the portal and return.

They can essentially cut you at that point and it happens. Guys get stuck in no-mans land without a landing spot.

That is correct.

Do we know if we will actually go after players in the portal this cycle that we didn't recruit the first time around??

It was confirmed that last year's portal targets were only players we originally recruited - only players that the coaches were familiar with from the original recruiting process.

This seems like a BIG limiting factor if that is the criteria again (...and honestly, lazy as F).

Last edited:
Do we know if we will actually go after players in the portal this cycle that we didn't recruit the first time around??

It was confirmed that last year's portal targets were only players we originally recruited - only players that the coaches were familiar with from the original recruiting process.

This seems like a BIG limiting factor if that is the criteria again (...and honestly, lazy as F).

Why does everyone refer only to last years transfers? JB has never been reluctant to bring in a transfer. And many of them have done well. The list has been posted a few times and it’s pretty impressive.

At the same time, I have heard of stories that when you enter the portal, there is no requirement for the previous/current coach to keep you if you want to withdraw your name from the portal and return.

They can essentially cut you at that point and it happens. Guys get stuck in no-mans land without a landing spot.

100% accurate

Last year we had the spot for JBA so we took him back and could use the depth.

There’s a reason he hasn’t entered yet….if he enters his scholarship this year is 100% gone. JB would def fill it with a transfer.

Also reminder, you can’t talk to other schools before you enter into the portal. Obviously stuff gets communicated through back channels etc but there is a good chance that JBA knows he won’t have a landing spot if he enters the portal.

Which brings us back to the 13 scholarship limit…we have one open spot…

It could go to Cole, it could go to Mintz or it could go to another transfer.

But until we have a clear picture on Cole/Mintz I would not expect us be heavily in pursuit of any transfers

Why does everyone refer only to last years transfers? JB has never been reluctant to bring in a transfer. And many of them have done well. The list has been posted a few times and it’s pretty impressive.
Other than last year and gillon and white, has JB brought in multiple transfers in the same year before?

Other than last year and gillon and white, has JB brought in multiple transfers in the same year before?
I think it's a completely different story now that there is the portal and the one-time instant transfer rule.

Don’t remember off the top of my head. My guess would be no.

I want to know if our portal targets are only limited to players previously recruited by the coach and/or assistant coaches, as stated after last year's transfers were completed.

The portal is essentially a new recruiting layer that requires its own target strategy, player investigation/review, due diligence, etc.

I hope the above is not a limiting factor in our target strategy.

I want to know if our portal targets are only limited to players previously recruited by the coach and/or assistant coaches, as stated after last year's transfers were completed.

The portal is essentially a new recruiting layer that requires its own target strategy, player investigation/review, due diligence, etc.

I hope the above is not a limiting factor in our target strategy.

It’s never made a difference in the past.

Doesn't seem to be much of a shooter, but really athletic and a true point guard. Former 5 star will have many suitors, but I would love to see us go after this guy with 100% effort.

Edit: I watched another video with more outside shots. He shoots a nice midrange shot. His three point shot looks a little different. He makes them in the highlight video, of course. At Indiana, he didn't shoot a lot from three point range and his career numbers there were in 39 games 16 for 56 (28.6%),

Doesn't seem to be much of a shooter, but really athletic and a true point guard. Former 5 star will have many suitors, but I would love to see us go after this guy with 100% effort.

Edit: I watched another video with more outside shots. He shoots a nice midrange shot. His three point shot looks a little different. He makes them in the highlight video, of course. At Indiana, he didn't shoot a lot from three point range and his career numbers there were in 39 games 16 for 56 (28.6%),
Would you offer him the starting job and 30+ mpg? That's what he will want.

Would you offer him the starting job and 30+ mpg? That's what he will want.
At this point, I would get ahold of him straight away and tell him that we are very interested. Then I would watch every minute of film there is on him. I would reach out to Mike Woodson and ask him about the kid. I would also reach out to any other coach (aau, high school or college) that I have a relationship with that would be able to give me any info about this kid. This would take a bit of time. I would continue to establish and build a relationship with this young man without going all in. I would monitor the portal to see if anyone else fits better. I would also monitor the interest in him. I would try to get him on campus ASAP as soon as I am comfortable with him as a prospect and with his character and how he would fit on this team. If all things align, I would tell him that the starting PG job is open and we think it would be his job to lose.

we had 4 players in the ACC top 15 MPG. that stat alone would suggest a paper thin roster and a need for quality bench players capable of giving you production off the pines. we lack depth and JB is the reason.
Yeah, but we have 5 incoming freshmen. That’s supposed to be the depth. If they don’t add the depth we need, we’re in bigger trouble than the portal would solve.

\
At this point, I would get ahold of him straight away and tell him that we are very interested. Then I would watch every minute of film there is on him. I would reach out to Mike Woodson and ask him about the kid. I would also reach out to any other coach (aau, high school or college) that I have a relationship with that would be able to give me any info about this kid. This would take a bit of time. I would continue to establish and build a relationship with this young man without going all in. I would monitor the portal to see if anyone else fits better. I would also monitor the interest in him. I would try to get him on campus ASAP as soon as I am comfortable with him as a prospect and with his character and how he would fit on this team. If all things align, I would tell him that the starting PG job is open and we think it would be his job to lose.
Let me help you then because I coached against his Indiana Elite team and watched him play a few other times on the Adidas Circuit and imo he wouldn't help 'Cuse he's a small guard who isn't dynamic ala Jonny Flynn or even like Gillon was.

However, I 100% agree with your outlined recruiting approach and why you would want to take this approach as he was a former highly rated kid and we should have multiple irons in the fire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom