2022 Portal | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Portal

The name of the game is to overrecruit. If there is a guard better than the 4 we have and can get him then we should be doing everything in our power to get that player to SU. Our returning guards aren't good enough to turn anyone away.

Outside of Jessie and maybe Cole none of our projected starters are good enough to turn a better player away via the portal.

Where is the schollie coming from if EVERYONE returns????

This isn’t football where we usually have about 2/3 extra scholarships

Jesse may test the water with NBA
Frank may transfer if Jesse comes back
JBA entered the portal last year no idea about this year
Chaz most likely back
Benny so much speculation about his return or not
Symir most likely back
JG3 should be back except that one tweet saying he may be portal bound
We got five new signees who are allowed to decommit if JB retires.

So we probably will have spots. Don't know if we can wait for Mintz and if he is leaning DePaul we should just talk to him about next year's portal lol.

You can make offers. If you have one spot you can offer three kids. You can tell them whoever commits first takes that spot.

You must have missed it but Joe tweeted about a week ago he was coming back.

There are ways to get the numbers you need regardless of what those numbers are. Happens all the time and we shouldn't upgrade our roster because we are afraid of pushing a "lesser" player out the door.

Jesse is not going
Frank is coming back
JBA tried to portal last year and couldn’t get looks, no way he leaves now
Benny, Symir and JG3 are locks to come back. If Benny wasn’t, I doubt they would have had him show Mintz around for his visit.

Also, our season ended almost a few weeks ago and yet none of our guys have hit the portal or tested the NBA waters except for Jimmy and Buddy

We just simply don’t have the room to add these players. It’s not as easy as many of you on here think it is…
Funny Horse Water Fun GIF by Pippi's opvang

Not everyone will return, and if they do, then SU is going to have a tough season. I don't know why you're wedded to this idea that the head coach has zero control over his roster. Players leave all of the time, sometime voluntarily, sometimes because they won't be happy with the situation the next season. They won't stay because they love winter in Syracuse.

we had 4 players in the ACC top 15 MPG. that stat alone would suggest a paper thin roster and a need for quality bench players capable of giving you production off the pines. we lack depth and JB is the reason.

Last edited:
The staff went full Costanza on the players and now none of them want to leave. The guys that went portal last year have probably told them it's the same deal at their new school, or maybe worse.

I don't know why you would say Cole is pretty much gone. I know he would like to come back if things are the right situation for him. He might leave. But I wouldn't say he is pretty much gone yet. Maybe later today, but not yet.
If you were cole, knowing the roster as it is, would you return?

Yeah. Kid was a little turnover prone but a nice player who certainly didn't have issues shooting it in the Dome

These are last years highlights before he was top dog. Yeah - this could be a nice 1 year rental.

He’s still not really good enough. We need a borderline star..,

Saying the same thing a half dozen times doesn't make it right. NOT EVERY PLAYER WILL BE BACK . OK, you understand now that I've shouted. Jeez.

If you were cole, knowing the roster as it is, would you return?
I don't know what the roster will be. If it includes a player like Mintz and I didn't need money badly, you bet. I spent 4 years begging for my college years to be over so I could start making money. I have spent the last 44 years wishing I could go back. Maybe Cole enjoyed getting 30 pts in a game. Maybe he thinks Jesse can blow up next year if he gets just a bit stronger. I bet he thinks we weren't as far away as everyone here thinks. There are 3 teams in the sweet 16 that right at the end of the season, we gave them games to the wire.

I don't know what the roster will be. If it includes a player like Mintz and I didn't need money badly, you bet. I spent 4 years begging for my college years to be over so I could start making money. I have spent the last 44 years wishing I could go back. Maybe Cole enjoyed getting 30 pts in a game. Maybe he thinks Jesse can blow up next year if he gets just a bit stronger. I bet he thinks we weren't as far away as everyone here thinks. There are 3 teams in the sweet 16 that right at the end of the season, we gave them games to the wire.

We were a legit starting PG (like Kadary) and a Benny Williams being much closer to expectations away from a team that wins many more of those close games.

It's important to remember that the transitive property doesn't work in most sports and definitely doesn't work in college basketball.

It's important to remember that the transitive property doesn't work in most sports and definitely doesn't work in college basketball.
?? I didn't say it did. Just that it is a fact that we took three teams that are currently in the sweet 16 to the wire at the end of the season. That isn't up for debate. That is a fact. And I was asked if I was Cole, would I come back with this roster. He might well conclude that we aren't as far away as those on this board might conclude. I also didn't say who was right.

Right or wrong, if you put yourself in the players’ shoes it’s not hard to see why they might think that they could be very good next season. Might not rational to outsiders but if I was on the team I’d be thinking it right now given the last couple weeks of the season.

It’s also not hard to see how Cole could be getting sold on averaging 18+ and being first team all-ACC on that improved team.

?? I didn't say it did. Just that it is a fact that we took three teams that are currently in the sweet 16 to the wire at the end of the season. That isn't up for debate. That is a fact. And I was asked if I was Cole, would I come back with this roster. He might well conclude that we aren't as far away as those on this board might conclude. I also didn't say who was right.
I didn't quote you. It was just a general statement. It's something that is routinely hinted at or brought up outright on this forum to defend the status quo.

Coaches can't wave college players,they can give a player assessment of where they stand in the program. JB has no problem expressing his opinion on players but the decision to portal or not is up to the players. Until someone transfers the pitch to top portal players will be pretty weak..

Coaches can't wave college players,they can give a player assessment of where they stand in the program. JB has no problem expressing his opinion on players but the decision to portal or not is up to the players. Until someone transfers the pitch to top portal players will be pretty weak..
"If you come, we will have a spot for you, you might have to work with us a little on timing, but we will find a spot for you".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom