2022 Portal | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Portal

Top portal players will have dozens of scholarship offers so I think that would be br pretty weak.

Wow someone that gets it

As it stands we could talk to recruits sure…however we would be like “welllll we think we might have a spot for you maybe, but it depends on if JBA decides to leave and Cole decided not to come back, otherwise you would have to be a walk on.”

Don’t think that’s going to go well with recruits.

In college basketball you can’t just “cut a guy” or tell them to take a hike.

JBA had No serious D1 offers last year when he tried to portal. Certainly nothing has changed this season….so the chances of him leaving are slim I would guess.

Frank knows he’s the backup to Jesse and Jesse certainly isn’t an NBA center at this point…

Wow someone that gets it

As it stands we could talk to recruits sure…however we would be like “welllll we think we might have a spot for you maybe, but it depends on if JBA decides to leave and Cole decided not to come back, otherwise you would have to be a walk on.”

Don’t think that’s going to go well with recruits.

In college basketball you can’t just “cut a guy” or tell them to take a hike.

JBA had No serious D1 offers last year when he tried to portal. Certainly nothing has changed this season….so the chances of him leaving are slim I would guess.

Frank knows he’s the backup to Jesse and Jesse certainly isn’t an NBA center at this point…
you're not quite getting it w regard to Frank

you're not quite getting it w regard to Frank

Sure he might portal but it’s really hard to recruit any new guys when as it stands you don’t have a spot for them….

We can’t magically create a spot. You can’t bring a guy in on hopes that someone is going to leave….

Until we have a roster spot, we aren’t going to be in the hunt for anyone

Wow someone that gets it

Jrheeter, thats exactly what some staffs do and what ours should be doing. Your forgetting that it is a rat race to make contact and build a relationship. Doing that at minimum, you can guage whether a player is going to be interested in your school for you to continue to recruit him as you work through the process of scholarship availability. We used to have this issue when we had talent with guys going through the pre-draft process and waiting to make their decision. By laying your cards on the table you may be able to get a kid to delay their decision, timing is a factor so if you wait until you know for sure, a guy you would be interested may be scooped up before you can even make your pitch.

Take Eric Musselman and Arkansas for example, they are still playing, have a 5 man, # 2 class in the nation and are reaching out to nearly every transfer under the moon. Muss probably doesnt know right now who will or will not be back but that doesnt stop him and hes putting out feelers for what he is selling. This is a lame excuse for JB and staff not to be selling and making contact in the event they have scholarships to upgrade the roster so they are not home again next year in March.

Jrheeter, thats exactly what some staffs do and what ours should be doing. Your forgetting that it is a rat race to make contact and build a relationship. Doing that a minimum, you can guage whether a player is going to be interested in your school for you to continue to recruit him as you work through the process of scholarship availability. We used to have this issue when we had talent with guys going through the pre-draft process and waiting to make their decision. By laying your cards on the table you may be able to get a kid to delay their decision, timing is a factor so if you want until you know for sure, a guy you would be interested may be scooped up before you can even make your pitch.

Take Eric Musselman and Arkansas for example, they are still playing, have a 5 man, # 2 class in the nation and are reaching out to nearly every transfer under the moon. Muss probably doesnt know right now who will or will not be back but that doesnt stop him and hes putting out feelers for what he is selling. This is a lame excuse for JB and staff not to be selling and making contact in the event they have scholarships to upgrade the roster so they are not home again next year in March.

I understand but we obviously over evaluated JBA and Frank tbh.

Because of that, they have no where to go. No other P5 D1 school is going to take a swing at them.

If you are them you probably aren’t going to leave Cuse to go to a low level D1 school and STILL sit the bench. You might as well just stay at Cuse.

I think the issue is a lot of people think we can just cut the cord with these players, however, there is legislation in place that you can’t just do that. The fate is 100% up to the kids and not the coaches.

If JBA or Frank are going to portal, they need to make that decision ASAP to allow JB and Cuse to seek out transfers.

If you’re a transfer you’re not even going to look at Cuse because it’s a BIG maybe if they will have room on the roster currently.

I would be completely shocked if weren’t talking to potential transfers but you’re not going to see real traction until we know a couple of factors….

Is Mintz coming? If not has Cole decided to come back?

If either of those are yes, are Frank or JBA planning on transferring to open up an additional spot?

If Mintz goes elsewhere or Cole definitely leaves than we have a spot and you’ll see us become more aggressive.

However, if Mintz goes to DePaul, I would think that might be showing that Cole is coming back

Sure he might portal but it’s really hard to recruit any new guys when as it stands you don’t have a spot for them….

We can’t magically create a spot. You can’t bring a guy in on hopes that someone is going to leave….

Until we have a roster spot, we aren’t going to be in the hunt for anyone
still not getting it

So unless I’ve forgotten someone, the guys that are in the transfer portal that we offered in the past are:

Isaiah Cottrell
Noah Collier
Quincy Ballard
I think we can also consider guys that came to our elite camp.

oops, my bad, I was actually referring to the sitch w JBA, not Frank - sorry!
You had me going, too. So, are you saying that although you can't force a player out, you kind of can?

You had me going, too. So, are you saying that although you can't force a player out, you kind of can?
eh I don't have inside info, just have picked up on what those that do have said and pieced it together regarding JBA's return last year after entering the portal

eh I don't have inside info, just have picked up on what those that do have said and pieced it together regarding JBA's return last year after entering the portal
Oh ok, gotcha. I have no idea what happened there. I am not sure I even care. I like JBA and wish him nothing but the best, but I think each roster spot is valuable and if his spot can be better utilized by adding an experienced forward with potential to start, then we should use it in that way. That takes the pressure off of the incoming freshmen, and allow them to develop organically through practicing against better players.

Oh ok, gotcha. I have no idea what happened there. I am not sure I even care. I like JBA and wish him nothing but the best, but I think each roster spot is valuable and if his spot can be better utilized by adding an experienced forward with potential to start, then we should use it in that way. That takes the pressure off of the incoming freshmen, and allow them to develop organically through practicing against better players.
yep agreed

From what I know, it's not as easy as it used to be. It generally has to be for academic or conduct related reasons.

SEC football coaches will dismiss a guy for violation of team rules. Another one is medical DQ, guy is off the 85 but still keeps scholarship for academics to graduate.

JBA returned because he didn’t get any offers at the division 1 level from what I understand

Which is why he returned from the portal. I would doubt strongly he’s going to try again

You can give them “the talk” and suggest that they go elsewhere and inform them they won’t be playing but you can’t cut them unless it’s an academic issue or a team rules violation.

It’s a slippery slippery slope…

We’ve informed JBA that he’s probably not the best fit at Cuse however, if you can’t find a landing spot….you’re not going to leave and give up a scholarship that’s paying for your education

You can give them “the talk” and suggest that they go elsewhere and inform them they won’t be playing but you can’t cut them unless it’s an academic issue or a team rules violation.

It’s a slippery slippery slope…

We’ve informed JBA that he’s probably not the best fit at Cuse however, if you can’t find a landing spot….you’re not going to leave and give up a scholarship that’s paying for your education
At the same time, I have heard of stories that when you enter the portal, there is no requirement for the previous/current coach to keep you if you want to withdraw your name from the portal and return.

They can essentially cut you at that point and it happens. Guys get stuck in no-mans land without a landing spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom