2022 Portal | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Portal

Four of the elite 8 teams relied on grad transfers or portal transfers as starters, mostly grad transfers. UNC only really had Manek as a transfer, but he carried a heavy load down the stretch. Duke relied on their high-end freshmen, and two other relied heavily on seniors and 5th years (KU and Nova). St. Peters was an anomaly.

Lesson being that if you can't get a pile of top-10 recruits, go with experience and/or pound the portal.

Four of the elite 8 teams relied on grad transfers or portal transfers as starters, mostly grad transfers. UNC only really had Manek as a transfer, but he carried a heavy load down the stretch. Duke relied on their high-end freshmen, and two other relied heavily on seniors and 5th years (KU and Nova). St. Peters was an anomaly.

Lesson being that if you can't get a pile of top-10 recruits, go with experience and/or pound the portal.
And in the Portal Era, keeping experienced players long enough so they gain that experience, is very difficult.

So, really, it's all down to taking the Portal to Pound Town.

See Dash. The coaches agree with me to.
Not all of them. And those same coaches, they thought we would be really good this year. And you might have missed the part where the coaches are looking to the following year. That in my opinion is insane. You don't write seasons off. Guys leave and players get hurt.

Last edited:
using 2 of 13 scholarships on players unlikely to play - JBA and Chaz - seems a bad idea and wasteful...but obviously I wouldnt want either kicked off the team.

so...what about this idea - an NIL deal for both that they can basically use to pay their tuition and not be on scholarship??? is that possible?

Also - do grad transfers take up scholarships? could that be a way to get a few more players in the mix if all of the schollies are full?
Would need to be at least $120k. Gotta pay taxes first

Not all of them. And those same coaches, they thought we would be really good this year. And you might have missed the part where the coaches are looking to the following year. That in my opinion is insane. You don't write seasons off. Guys leave and players get hurt.
Agree with this, problem with a 6 man class and the portal, how many expect all 6 to be here in 2 years? I dont, kids want to play.

My personal thought is we don’t have the energy to recruit the portal unless we recruited them out of high school.

My personal thought is we don’t have the energy to recruit the portal unless we recruited them out of high school.
Seems that way.
but I'm pretty certain that if the head man gave them the green light, the assistants could/would work their butts off and at least connect with, if not land, some promising portal inhabitants

I don't think we will go after a forward unless one falls in to our laps. JB wants to go with what we have.
I agree. It would be optimum if we could get a backup center that could slide to forward, if necessary, but it truly would be a surprise transfer.

I agree 100% with you. I am also worried, and these are 100% my words and thoughts, no one else's, that we didn't make enough of an effort to keep Cole. I don't know how to say anything more than that. It felt to be like we were okay from the jump going young next year. I do know, and these are not my words, that the coaches think we are going to be really good in two years. To me, that is a meaningless thought. We could be good next year. No one is guaranteed anything down the road.
Yea, JB is way too relaxed and lackadaisical for a guy whose program has become mediocre and unranked during the regular season for most of the last 8 years and hasn’t had a top 4 conference finish since 2014. It’s incredibly frustrating. He put in the effort to get Judah. What is he doing to try to sell Cole to return for one more year and/or find a comparable replacement? I always thought JB would do anything to win. Why the complacency?

We should recruit Connor Vanover from Arkansas 7'3 center. Have Vanover at C, Ballard at PF and Jesse at SF. Biggest front court in the country!

Well, Cole, Torrance and Griffin all basically fell in our laps, so maybe someone else will this year? Sounds like we’re not pounding the portal, more of a light tapping.
I don't think we will go after a forward unless one falls in to our laps. JB wants to go with what we have.

I agree 100% with you. I am also worried, and these are 100% my words and thoughts, no one else's, that we didn't make enough of an effort to keep Cole. I don't know how to say anything more than that. It felt to be like we were okay from the jump going young next year. I do know, and these are not my words, that the coaches think we are going to be really good in two years. To me, that is a meaningless thought. We could be good next year. No one is guaranteed anything down the road.
Bolded sentence is a perfect reply.

So we'll be really good in two years, by who's metrics? Will we be good as in Top 5 seed good? Will we be good as in not on the bubble but a 10 seed good? Will we be good as in back on the bubble like the last 7 years prior to this past year's complete dud?

This head coach's position has changed throughout the years to fit narrative. When he wasn't winning the NCAA Tournament, it was that the regular season was worth more. When it was the miracle runs of 2016, 2018, 2021, it was the NCAA Tournament meant more.

Which is it? I am of the belief that those teams in the 90's that didn't make runs in the tournament but were ranked nationally and had a chance to beat anyone, was a much better strategy than getting lucky in March. I think a lot are in agreement with me. Unfortunately, I don't think the fan base wants to wait yet another year when we haven't seen that in close to a decade now.

Agreed - but with the rapid rise in the # of players jumping to the portal, assuming we hold on to the incoming recruiting class in its entirety in 2 years is a BIG assumption.

Players come and go now at their own whims with the portal. I don't necessarily like it, but it is what it is. It's fool's gold to plan a roster more than a year out at this point IMO. You have to focus on the next year.
Many programs will be reconstructing their roster annually.

especially after the first sub 500 season in a lifetime. This is coaching malpractice.

Agree with this, problem with a 6 man class and the portal, how many expect all 6 to be here in 2 years? I dont, kids want to play.

If they are good enough and ready to play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom