2022 Portal | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Portal

We recruited Ballard prior... whom from the portal would you want for a scoring guard (that's also on our "prior-recruited" list) ??

For those that say "We should not be limiting ourselves to only players we recruited prior!"...

I would agree, but we need to factor one thing into the mix:

Reality.
He said scoring forward. Not guard

Define legit. If you mean a guy who can't miss, he is going to want 30+ MPG. Not much time for all the freshman to play.

using 2 of 13 scholarships on players unlikely to play - JBA and Chaz - seems a bad idea and wasteful...but obviously I wouldnt want either kicked off the team.

so...what about this idea - an NIL deal for both that they can basically use to pay their tuition and not be on scholarship??? is that possible?

Also - do grad transfers take up scholarships? could that be a way to get a few more players in the mix if all of the schollies are full?

Define legit. If you mean a guy who can't miss, he is going to want 30+ MPG. Not much time for all the freshman to play.
And what if the freshmen are not ready to be contributors, a la Benny?

We need more talent, scoring and experience. It would be kind of crazy to not look for a F to fill that need. 25-30 mpg shouldn’t be that hard to come by. Still leaves probably 30 or so for the frosh to fight over.

We need more talent, scoring and experience. It would be kind of crazy to not look for a F to fill that need. 25-30 mpg shouldn’t be that hard to come by. Still leaves probably 30 or so for the frosh to fight over.
If they get a guy who is as talented as you want, he will be on the floor for 30+ or he won't take the spot. If you want a guy that is medium good, kinda good, decent, do you really want to give him a spot?

I'm morbidly curious to see JB just feverishly try to mix and match a pile o' freshman forwards.

I realize we won’t get any strong players in the portal wishing to play backup C to Jessie

But what about a starting power forward with size who can slide to the 5 periodically and function as a “backup” C?

using 2 of 13 scholarships on players unlikely to play - JBA and Chaz - seems a bad idea and wasteful...but obviously I wouldnt want either kicked off the team.

so...what about this idea - an NIL deal for both that they can basically use to pay their tuition and not be on scholarship??? is that possible?

Also - do grad transfers take up scholarships? could that be a way to get a few more players in the mix if all of the schollies are full?
Why don’t you just pay them yourself ?

For sure the majority aren’t ready

I imagine that more very sad stories about the transfer portal will pop up in 5 to 10 years from now when a player looks back on opportunities lost from a different and sadly more permanent perspective.That is, if the media wants to expose it too.
The korleone young’s of the portal

If Syracuse goes to the portal to get players, they have to be here for 2 years. The first year has an adjustment period and the players are just hitting their stride late in the season.
That's insane. If we are getting a portal player that is not impactful on year one and relies on year 2, then what does it say about the Carey & Brown, do we expect them to be sitting till year 3 before they are portal bound?

It's a rock and a hard place, a portal player, even if serviceable like Gillon/White will not be synergistic with the zone and will be out of sorts defensively, but such a large freshmen class size you have to develop them before blocking them.

will not be synergistic with the zone
It still baffles me that this is the case. I'm not reflexively anti-zone, but I fail to see how the advantages outweigh the personnel restrictions.

30D1C35E-6223-4AAF-8ED0-0B621A50B2DD.jpeg

I don’t believe we’ve reached out to him but know he was a popular mention in this thread as a potential Swider replacement

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom