2022 Top 10 Preview | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Top 10 Preview

Logan Wisnauskas can score like that, if he is 1-on-1, but if he is double-teamed he usually has to pass out of it.
Kyle Long has a really quick first step, and developed a nice shot on the run. Further Long is also an excellent passer, and when the slide comes can find finishers like Maltz, A.DeMaio or Wisnauskas for open looks.

Fairman is actually a really good dodger, but has struggled with his shot the last 2 seasons. If he finds his shot, watch out.

I am not to sure about Donville's and Khan's game, and how they fit into this, but both seem pretty good.

Another guy one wouldn't want to forget about is Eric Malever. He scored 20 points on the 2nd midfield as a freshman. A fairly good dodger from behind the goal.
I'd add Owen Murphy to the list as well. He was Hopkins 2nd leading scorer as a freshman. He is legit, but not sure where he fits in. Cannon of a shot, I'm sure he'll find his way onto man up

A lot of people who assumed the Big Ten was bad in 2021 because of their regular season records are going to be very surprised by what happens in 2022. Those people lacked a lot of critical thinking ability.

I don't mean to start a conference war, by the way. Still think the ACC is easily better top to bottom. But the gap isn't very big. Rutgers' game against UNC, and Maryland's complete shellacking of Duke, pretty much demonstrate exactly as much. Looking forward to a lot more ACC-Big Ten battles next season.

Logan Wisnauskas can score like that, if he is 1-on-1, but if he is double-teamed he usually has to pass out of it.
Kyle Long has a really quick first step, and developed a nice shot on the run. Further Long is also an excellent passer, and when the slide comes can find finishers like Maltz, A.DeMaio or Wisnauskas for open looks.

Fairman is actually a really good dodger, but has struggled with his shot the last 2 seasons. If he finds his shot, watch out.

I am not to sure about Donville's and Khan's game, and how they fit into this, but both seem pretty good.

Another guy one wouldn't want to forget about is Eric Malever. He scored 20 points on the 2nd midfield as a freshman. A fairly good dodger from behind the goal.
A lot of people who assumed the Big Ten was bad in 2021 because of their regular season records are going to be very surprised by what happens in 2022. Those people lacked a lot of critical thinking ability.

I don't mean to start a conference war, by the way. Still think the ACC is easily better top to bottom. But the gap isn't very big. Rutgers' game against UNC, and Maryland's complete shellacking of Duke, pretty much demonstrate exactly as much. Looking forward to a lot more ACC-Big Ten battles next season.
maryland shellacked almost everyone in the b1g. played a couple close games.
12 games undefeated. then took ot to dispatch notre dame and also lost in their 3 game acc stretch.
rutgers won all other games except maryland (blown out) and one other.
in 2020... they were over .500 out of conference but not by a lot minus umd. 2 teams went 2 and 4 out of conference.

the b1g has more to prove than not.

With respect to what?
that all 6 teams are in the top 25 because it's the b1g?
and you've missed all the smack talking by b1g fans over the last year at your old haunts.
the league since 2013? has been talked about being the next big thing. and still, after the last 2 years. big school u plus the 130 year historic program.
they'll have their chances.

that all 6 teams are in the top 25 because it's the b1g?
and you've missed all the smack talking by b1g fans over the last year at your old haunts.
the league since 2013? has been talked about being the next big thing. and still, after the last 2 years. big school u plus the 130 year historic program.
I think all 6 Big Ten teams will probably make the top 25.
It's possible that one might have injuries or other problems that keep it from making it.
For me, the bigger question might be "will one of the Big Ten teams, other than UMd, make the top 10?". Hard to know. Last year, PSU was in the preseason top 10 but really underachieved, and it ended up being Rutgers who was the other top 10 team.

I think all 6 Big Ten teams will probably make the top 25.
It's possible that one might have injuries or other problems that keep it from making it.
For me, the bigger question might be "will one of the Big Ten teams, other than UMd, make the top 10?". Hard to know. Last year, PSU was in the preseason top 10 but really underachieved, and it ended up being Rutgers who was the other top 10 team.
when they didn't play anyone out of conference. and without the ivy.

maybe they'll have 3 teams top 10. maybe more. or maybe they won't have 6 (or even 5) make the top 25.

I don’t think it has much to do with their 2021 records, but rather the talent that they lose. It’s a lot. Penn State losses a bundle of 5th year guys including the NCAA’s all time leading goal scorer. They looked lost on offense last year, I don’t see how it gets much better without O’Keefe. Ohio State losses a good amount of seniors too including one of the best players in their programs history. Who replaces LeClair’s points? I don’t think Rutgers has any business being close to the top 10, losing their entire starting attack, including some amazing talent with Kirst and Charmibilidis, and replacing them with a guy who was benched at his last school and a DIII transfer is not a recipe for success. Michigan is on year 3 of this being the breakout year. Hopkins is intriguing but I still don’t trust their defense and their schedule will be brutal next year. Plus they have a big question mark on the left side of their attack.

Maryland Will of course be good, but outside of that I just don’t see another team that has top 10 talent.

I don’t think it has much to do with their 2021 records, but rather the talent that they lose. It’s a lot. Penn State losses a bundle of 5th year guys including the NCAA’s all time leading goal scorer. They looked lost on offense last year, I don’t see how it gets much better without O’Keefe. Ohio State losses a good amount of seniors too including one of the best players in their programs history. Who replaces LeClair’s points? I don’t think Rutgers has any business being close to the top 10, losing their entire starting attack, including some amazing talent with Kirst and Charmibilidis, and replacing them with a guy who was benched at his last school and a DIII transfer is not a recipe for success. Michigan is on year 3 of this being the breakout year. Hopkins is intriguing but I still don’t trust their defense and their schedule will be brutal next year. Plus they have a big question mark on the left side of their attack.

Maryland Will of course be good, but outside of that I just don’t see another team that has top 10 talent.
The first thing I would say is that the bottom of the top 10 doesn't look that strong to me at the moment.

It's fairly clear that Hopkins has top 10 talent. Will they play that well is a question mark. Epstein was the top attack recruit in his class. DeSimone was a top 10 recruits, struggled as a midfielder for 3 years, but finally started to blossom as an attackman last season. Grimes was top 5 recruit and McDermott was a 5-star recruit - both were getting their feet wet last year. Hopkins also had a 5 star defenseman in last year's class.

Michigan is quite a bit of talent also. Zawada and Boehm were 5 - star recruits. Clay and Bonomi were both UA AA. They bring in a 5-star midfielder in Mulholland along with 2 4-star attackmen (Cohen and Hertzberg). A 5-star defenseman in Ryan Schriber

Hopkins has top 10 talent on offense, no question. Defense probably less so. They lose Reinson who was their best defenseman last year as well as LSM Delaney. They replace them with Jennings a transfer from Providence who is pretty good but not elite and Fernandez the former Syracuse player who's presumably back from injury sustained in the previous offseason. Their new D coordinator is a good coach but they don't have as much talent on that side of the ball as they do on offense. A lot of Petro's recent defensive recruits, quite frankly, have been busts. Though injuries have played a part. I think they are appropriately ranked at 15 by Lacrosse Magazine with upside for a lot more if they can play like they did in the last few weeks of the spring for a full season in 2022.

Now is the time for Michigan. With the Big Ten pecking order unsettled behind Maryland, they need to start making noise. Tired of hearing the excuses. There is no reason they shouldn't finish at the very least in the top 4 of the conference.

As for Maryland, Wisnauskas was given a gift when they brought in Khan because otherwise he was about to be exposed having to go up against opposing teams' top defenders. Now he'll continue getting the 2 guy most likely and can resume operating mostly off ball and under the radar. He is a phenomenal #2 attackman, maybe the best in the country, but not an alpha guy who can run your offense. Maryland had to bring someone else in to "replace" Bernhardt's role, and they did.

One might note that Hopkins' one 'quality' recruit, Jo Jo Todaro, is a defenseman. IL had him as the #21 recruit last fall. He was Nassau county defenseman of the year this past spring and a UA All-American.

#15 seems too far down for Hopkins in my opinion.

Michigan did have a good excuse last season, 2 of their top 3 offensive players, Buckanavage and Mack, were injured. Both were also senior leaders on the offense. How many midrange teams are going to do real well after something like that?

I think the choice of defenseman to cover Wisnauskas will be a defenseman with a large frame, regardless of whether he is the best or 2nd best.

I haven't really seen Khan play much. He was an HM All-American. On the other hand, a large majority of his scoring came in Villanova's 6 games against Providence, Marquette, and St.Johns. Khan will have to beat out Eric Malever, who did well getting his feet wet last spring on the 2nd midfield. It might also be true that Kyle Long has his eyes on that position.

One might note that Hopkins' one 'quality' recruit, Jo Jo Todaro, is a defenseman. IL had him as the #21 recruit last fall. He was Nassau county defenseman of the year this past spring and a UA All-American.

#15 seems too far down for Hopkins in my opinion.

Michigan did have a good excuse last season, 2 of their top 3 offensive players, Buckanavage and Mack, were injured. Both were also senior leaders on the offense. How many midrange teams are going to do real well after something like that?

I think the choice of defenseman to cover Wisnauskas will be a defenseman with a large frame, regardless of whether he is the best or 2nd best.

I haven't really seen Khan play much. He was an HM All-American. On the other hand, a large majority of his scoring came in Villanova's 6 games against Providence, Marquette, and St.Johns. Khan will have to beat out Eric Malever, who did well getting his feet wet last spring on the 2nd midfield. It might also be true that Kyle Long has his eyes on that position.
I saw Khan play a couple of games late last season including a big game against Georgetown in the Big East semis. He was a dominant force scoring 5 goals against a good defense in a very physical and close game.
I have no doubts about his ability.

Hopkins has top 10 talent on offense, no question. Defense probably less so. They lose Reinson who was their best defenseman last year as well as LSM Delaney. They replace them with Jennings a transfer from Providence who is pretty good but not elite and Fernandez the former Syracuse player who's presumably back from injury sustained in the previous offseason. Their new D coordinator is a good coach but they don't have as much talent on that side of the ball as they do on offense. A lot of Petro's recent defensive recruits, quite frankly, have been busts. Though injuries have played a part. I think they are appropriately ranked at 15 by Lacrosse Magazine with upside for a lot more if they can play like they did in the last few weeks of the spring for a full season in 2022.
I think Hop maybe has the potential for a top 10 offense but would not call them top 10 right now. Epstein is yet to replicate the impact (let alone the points) he had off the dodge as a freshman and has instead become more of an offball finisher/good-vision feeder to compliment DeSimone. Williams was as big of a dodging threat as Desimone, even if he did not match his points, as he often drew slides due to his size and strength. I think they will really feel his absence. Degnon got most of his points off of his lethal shot rather than being a massive matchup issue (only 2 assists on the year). Angelus is solid but again not someone that is a serious matchup issue. After them the drop off at middie is pretty steep as far as dodging goes.

I just don't see enough proven weapons off the dodge in their O to call it a top 10 offense. Maybe if Epstein starts truly playing like freshman Epstein (as in he gets back into the 60+ point range instead of 30+) and Grimes starts playing like the IL folks predicted he would. Both are far from guaranteed. Collison coming in for them the year after next is a top level talent, and could be even better with some Grant Jr. coaching.

I saw Khan play a couple of games late last season including a big game against Georgetown in the Big East semis. He was a dominant force scoring 5 goals against a good defense in a very physical and close game.
No one is saying that Khan isn't good.
Eric Malever was a top 10 recruit and had a nice freshman season scoring 20 points on the 2nd midfield for the Terps.
Kyle Long was 2nd team All-American at midfield. Tillman could decide he wants Long on the field all the time and move him to attack, and stick Donville in Long's spot on the midfield.

Inside lacrosse Fall all-Access article on Hopkins:

On Brendan Grimes:
Grimes’ physical gifts really stand out at field level, as early as the practice-opening “horseshoe” stick work drill, he just looked bigger and his movements more fluid than nearly all of his teammates. The Blue Jays’ top-ranked recruit last season and IL’s No. 4-ranked player in the class, Grimes started the season at attack before moving to midfield and he finished with eight goals.

“He’s a big kid, he does a good job keeping the game simple, has a good skillset, doesn’t venture too far away from a strong sense of fundamentals,” Milliman says. “Last year was a challenging year for a lot of guys, but specifically Brendan. Didn’t have a high school senior season, had an injury his junior year, so he hadn’t played in such a long time, and it was such a steep learning curve. We’re seeing him find a consistency in his play, find confidence, and you saw hints of it last year.”

I also saw that game. Khan abused Gtown poles. He can shoot with both hands, can be physical and has great vision. Yes Tillman has number of top talents on offense. but Khan will be integral.

Inside lacrosse Fall all-Access article on Hopkins:

On Brendan Grimes:
Grimes’ physical gifts really stand out at field level, as early as the practice-opening “horseshoe” stick work drill, he just looked bigger and his movements more fluid than nearly all of his teammates. The Blue Jays’ top-ranked recruit last season and IL’s No. 4-ranked player in the class, Grimes started the season at attack before moving to midfield and he finished with eight goals.

“He’s a big kid, he does a good job keeping the game simple, has a good skillset, doesn’t venture too far away from a strong sense of fundamentals,” Milliman says. “Last year was a challenging year for a lot of guys, but specifically Brendan. Didn’t have a high school senior season, had an injury his junior year, so he hadn’t played in such a long time, and it was such a steep learning curve. We’re seeing him find a consistency in his play, find confidence, and you saw hints of it last year.”

Hopefully IL does one for Syracuse this year, I imagine they will have lots of storylines to cover. I think they've missed doing the Orange the last few years. Looks like Kinnear is at UVA today.

Georgetown does also have to replace Petkovich's 41 points. Perhaps Trippi will be expected to do that.

Georgetowns 2022 roster:

Georgetown adds 7 4-star freshmen, according to IL's rankings last fall. 3 in the top 50:
#37 Cade Caggliano, A, from N.C.
#46 Holt Mathies, A, Darien
#47 Kade Goldberg, M, Deerfield

Georgetown looks like a contender. It will be interesting to see how much Warne strengthens the schedule.

Georgetown does also have to replace Petkovich's 41 points. Perhaps Trippi will be expected to do that.

Georgetowns 2022 roster:

Georgetown adds 7 4-star freshmen, according to IL's rankings last fall. 3 in the top 50:

Georgetown looks like a contender. It will be interesting to see how much Warne strengthens the schedule.
rumored leak that the article suggests on schedule is hop, nd, pton, lehigh, loyola and richmond.

gtown very easily could be a contending team. quarters loss was most likely a very bad day and a mirage, though they'll have to prove differently at tourney time. they seem stacked with personnel.

Georgetowns 2022 roster:

GTowns first middie line is crazy scary and they all return. All three of those guys could get separation with ease against us, Dylan Hess as just a freshman as well. I don't think Trippi or Morin is a 1 for 1 replacement of Petkevic and they obviously can't replace carraway easily, so the attack takes a good step back, but that middie line will always be able to get the defense moving. Dylan Watson is a great off ball player. With Bowen in the fold they are top 5 for sure.

GTowns first middie line is crazy scary and they all return. All three of those guys could get separation with ease against us, Dylan Hess as just a freshman as well. I don't think Trippi or Morin is a 1 for 1 replacement of Petkevic and they obviously can't replace carraway easily, so the attack takes a good step back, but that middie line will always be able to get the defense moving. Dylan Watson is a great off ball player. With Bowen in the fold they are top 5 for sure.

From top to bottom, I think Georgetown is probably the most complete team in the country. Brings back their goalie, most of their close defense (and gets probably the biggest transfer in Bowen), good shortsticks, a good FOGO (who was knocked out early against UVA) and a very solid starting six on offense. I guess the questions revolve mostly around depth, and firepower now that Carraway is gone. Foy makes a good point that they don't need Morin or Trippi to directly replace his goals, just for everyone else to add to their goal scoring totals. Easier said than done.

Someone I think made this comparison already, but they kind of remind me of Yale the year before they won the Championship - they were not ready for the quarterfinals last year from a mental aspect, but now they won't be surprised by anything. Would not surprise me at all if they are in the final four. The Big East looks a little weak this year (Denver has to replace their grad transfers, Villanova lost their best players to Maryland, etc), but sounds like out of conference should add some solid matchups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom