2022 US Open (Golf) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2022 US Open (Golf)

All of this is the assumption that the PGA is just about the top players.. its about the whole package.. if the LIV is gonna pay just the 40 guys or so and the PGA dies who do they get when this crew gets old. the PGA is a developmental tour and the LIV is not..

great for the guys taking money after the PGA created them. There are a ton of guys who didnt really make it for a long time, the LIV kills all of them.

where do the other 150 pros play. If they cant see the big picture they should.
Plus, there are a bunch of guys that didn't need much time for development. This is a pretty good list of players under 25 (although some have now turned 26). The PGA has to make some big decisions. If they lose these top young guys they are somewhat screwed.

Last edited:
Koepka’s answers this weekend were so mealy-mouthed...so not that suprising. Shocking how cowardly these guys are. I guess it’s impossible to say “yea, it’s a lot of money and I’m going to take it”

Plus, there are a bunch of guys that didn't need much time for development. This is a pretty good list of players under 25 (although some have now turned 26). The PGA has to make some big decisions. If they lose these top young guys they are somewhat screwed.

yup.. but they still needed to show what they could do.. is LIV gonna take the top 10-20 unknowns every year as well? if there is no place for those 22-25 yr olds to play against top people how do they show they can do it.

Unless LIV is the gonna create a 2nd set of players and pay them a ton to play up.. Like soccer relegation..

But we already know that in any given week a guy outside the top 40 can win on the PGA that margin is pretty small. This tour removes all of that.

I wonder what endorses think of all of this.. why would Taylor made and the like want to sponser people that are actually hurting the sport as a whole.

I wonder what endorses think of all of this.. why would Taylor made and the like want to sponser people that are actually hurting the sport as a whole.
It's all about eyeballs. If they are competitive in the majors and the LIV gets good TV airplay where people are actually watching then it shouldn't be an issue. If they disappear then probably so does the endorsements.

It's all about eyeballs. If they are competitive in the majors and the LIV gets good TV airplay where people are actually watching then it shouldn't be an issue. If they disappear then probably so does the endorsements.

Except most of the guys under contract will not have a place to play with this model. it took 50 years to get golf this well settled and a few months for a rogue outfit to try and kill it.

Except most of the guys under contract will not have a place to play with this model. it took 50 years to get golf this well settled and a few months for a rogue outfit to try and kill it.
Most guys or top guys? Sure, there is no question that the bottom half ranked guys might get squeezed unless the PGA finds a way to maintain and/or increase purses. I don't think that LIV is looking to add more players especially if they want to maintain their shotgun start format. More higher ranked players on LIV means less spots for lower ranked players. So the lower ranked guys will need to carve out a better career on the PGA. It is a hot mess but the PGA needs a solid game plan to maintain the integrity and competitiveness of their tour.

One factor I haven't seen mentioned--what happens when the Saudis inevitably do something that brings the world's wrath down on them?

Or the PGA could reach an accommodation that release’s guys for up to 8 events and has a minimum of 14 PGA and affiliate events.

One factor I haven't seen mentioned--what happens when the Saudis inevitably do something that brings the world's wrath down on them?
When US defense contractors close their offices, then you might have a point.

LIV does go after the established names, and the older players are more attracted to the payouts when they compare it to future earnings

But one thing the PGA has going for it more than ever, is that it is a young man's game.

From the time I started following golf more (1990's to about 2012), the game was largely dominated by players in their 30's... some peaked in their later 20s.

Now more than ever players between 20-27 are at the top of the tour. The tour refreshes talent much more quickly, and also people drop off more quickly As long as the PGA players continue to do well at the majors, it will not show much of a decline in their field strength (maybe)

LIV does go after the established names, and the older players are more attracted to the payouts when they compare it to future earnings

But one thing the PGA has going for it more than ever, is that it is a young man's game.

From the time I started following golf more (1990's to about 2012), the game was largely dominated by players in their 30's... some peaked in their later 20s.

Now more than ever players between 20-27 are at the top of the tour. The tour refreshes talent much more quickly, and also people drop off more quickly As long as the PGA players continue to do well at the majors, it will not show much of a decline in their field strength (maybe)
Absolutely. With one of the reasons being is that once guys nowadays get into their 30's and 40's, most have accumulated generational wealth that they don't need to grind it out 365 days a year. All that practicing and travelling must take a huge toll on your body. Even though Golf is not a contact sport, the athletes have a lot of similar injuries as other professional athletes (knees, backs, wrists). That's why it is amazing a guy like Bernhard Langer, who is almost 65, and some others, are still in peak shape.

The PGA over estimated their influence. Once it became clear that guys would be able to play in majors, the PGA lost its threat. Play less and make more money win or lose.....people are going to jump on that. The exodus is just beginning. Athletes are mercenaries who like all modern athletes have been catered to their whole life. Thinking they are concerned about Saudi policies is a dream. The players, the PGA, and pretty much everyone is driven by money. PGA will have to cut half their events and try to pool bigger prizes for fewer events if they want to compete. Ryder Cup participation will not be enough to keep people from fleeing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom