2022 US Open (Golf) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2022 US Open (Golf)

Watch out for Zalatoris today. He has been one of the players that has elevated his play in majors the past few years.

I was eyeing Zalatoris at 35-1 at the beginning of the day, but I didn't pull the trigger!
Now soon to be tied for the lead with Scheffler at -4, and having the advantage of only having 3 holes left to go.

Man, I LOVE the US Open. Scheffler's three over par on those last two holes has turned this into a free-for-all.

Zalatoris may get a bogey on the last, causing total chaos on the leaderboard with 9 players at -2 or -3.

Good finish to the course in terms of shifting the leaderboad around.
14-17 is where birdies can be made, even if they are tough holes.
The 18th can be a brute, which can easily be bogeyed or doubled.

Tomorrow should be good.

Great leaderboard heading into tomorrow.
Zalatoris, Fitzpatrick, Bradley made the biggest moves today.
Still 4 of the world top 10 on the leaderboard even if they had some struggling moments.
Still 3 sub 100 players on the leaderboard to create some underdog drama (Hadwin, Dahmen, Hardy)

I'm picking Zalatoris for tomorrow. He is striking the ball the best right now.

1655597440001.png

It's supposed to rain all day and be moderately windy. The greens should hold much better. The player who has the best GIR is going to win.

Rooting for Rahm. I just like the big lug.

But I think Scheffler's gonna win. He's in almost-historic form. To me, he's like Jordan Spieth at his peak.

Some lower scores out there today.

8 players under par right now
17 players over par

Yesterday, it was 2 and 21 respectively early on.

Still very difficult, but as of now there are a few more birdies than yesterday.

I see the wind is beginning to freshen. I think it will be survival mode this afternoon.

Denny McCarthy is now 2 shots from the lead after a -3 start.

He just made the cut line after round 2, and his odds entering the weekend were 1000-1 (or over on some sites)

Matthew Fitzpatrick earns $3.15 million and a place in history.

DJ takes home $5 million from the Saudis for “low LIV” player. SMH.

j/k

What makes this cool is that Fitzpatrick won by playing great golf as opposed to the competition folding. He was as cool as the other side of the pillow on that sand shot on 18. Great win by someone who appears to be a really nice young man.

Matthew Fitzpatrick earns $3.15 million and a place in history.

DJ takes home $5 million from the Saudis for “low LIV” player. SMH.

j/k
Yeah, but DJ has to do a silly dance with a bunch of guys in bed sheets to earn the money. Maybe even hold hands for a stroll in the garden.

Yeah, but DJ has to do a silly dance with a bunch of guys in bed sheets to earn the money. Maybe even hold hands for a stroll in the garden.
LIV guys had a poor showing overall. Performance has to mean something to these ultra competitive guys. But maybe they only care about the Benjamin's.

LIV guys had a poor showing overall. Performance has to mean something to these ultra competitive guys. But maybe they only care about the Benjamin's.
The issue for any pro sport profitability is TV money. With the jillion hours of media available between streaming and conventional cable, and oil at $122@brl, the Saudis might pull this off. For whatever reason the Saudis are throwing money around in unheard of amounts.

How could Zalatoris go outside the cup on 17? Then he did it again on 18.
He saw Fitzpatrick's putt on 18 that didn't break much at all and still played a slight break. I, like Will, and many others, still thought it was going in.

The issue for any pro sport profitability is TV money. With the jillion hours of media available between streaming and conventional cable, and oil at $122@brl, the Saudis might pull this off. For whatever reason the Saudis are throwing money around in unheard of amounts.
One good thing for the players is that the PGA purses might rise. Like all businesses, it will come down to who will fund it.

He saw Fitzpatrick's putt on 18 that didn't break much at all and still played a slight break. I, like Will, and many others, still thought it was going in.
I'm not sure how he and his caddy came the conclusion of playing for the break on 18. Just hit it very firm inside the cup, if it goes by 6 feet, he's just putting for place and money, which he is going to make a lot of in his career. Fitzpatrick played great all day, both guys were excellent.

I don't know if the Saudi's are counting on much TV money here. Anything is a bonus in that regard for them. They are not running LIV on the basis of it making a financial return. Its essentially a marketing expense for them -- who knows how deep that barrel goes -- apparently they have much more to spend.

The PGA tour has to run as a break-even business because its a member owned NPO. They cannot lose money.

Assuming they still lose some more members, the PGA will still beat the LIV as a product by a fair margin.. I'm not even sure if the LIV is looking to beat the PGA Tour. But the problem is in the process its almost inevitable the PGA will take some sort of decline due to having some poorer fields.

The winners here in terms of eyeballs and profitability will probably be the majors as they amalgamate talents from both and become even stronger compared to regular fields.

One good thing for the players is that the PGA purses might rise. Like all businesses, it will come down to who will fund it.

I'm a little more skeptical than you in thinking PGA purses might rise of any substance, but maybe some of my assumptions below are wrong.

This is not a typical business - let's say the Saudi's decided to create a new football league. The existing owners of the NFL could agree to raise salaries to combat this, and accept the additional initial loss in return that comes with that for the future good of the league. The PGA tour members own the tour as an NPO - it can't take on losses like this to face a challenge. Instead they rely on business partners who will invest more in a product that is stable or on the upswing.

Overall my views are based on the following key assumptions - if you disagree with these, or view these as incorrect (which is fine) than it changes one's assessment.
- The PGA tour has already lost some players to LIV, and will continue to lose at least a few more.
- The quality of field at PGA events will decline to some degree. Whether its not that huge or significant is still TBD. But the field quality will go down. It has already been an issue for many events before LIV even existed -- increasing the PGA tour to 48 events has already stretched the talent thin for some events.
- Opposite field LIV events will take away some eyeballs from some weak opposite field events, but this could well be a minimal factor..
- Top PGA players are not going to play more events to strengthen the events overall. If anything they are probably looking at a "Play Less for More Scenario", and this can't be attractive to business partners of the PGA Tour.
- Corporate Sponsors or TV Partners are looking for return on investments, Weaker fields do worry them, and they are not going to pay more as the fields decline a bit -- unless they feel they have some obligation to help the PGA combat this.
- LIV vs PGA won't bring in extra eyeballs to PGA Events, other than majors.. Majors will get even more interest vs regular events now, which hurts regular events.
- While the PGA will be better than the LIV, their product will inevitably decline a bit even if they crush LIV.

I see the PGA has having the following 4 ways to increase purses.
1) Corporate Sponsors - With weaker fields, and also with the general business environment, will Corporate Sponsors be willing to pay more than they initially wanted to?
2) TV Rights - Weaker fields also has to a big concern for them. TV rights will go up because they always somehow do, but I think the rate of the increase will be lower due to field issues.
3) Taking money from PGA Tour Reserves - The PGA Tour has a fair amount of reserves that it has created as an NPO... profits stashed as reserves, but that can only be a temporary solution and may also threaten their charity status.
4) Increasing Purse Sizes and telling the Charitable Foundations that run events to figure it out themselves (passing risk onto charities which they have already done at times)

As I said PGA will be better than LIV, probably far better - but even in beating them I'm not sure how their product will not take some hit.

Now I do think their are some innovative ways that could increase revenues for the top of the tour but that could involve the mid-card and low-card players of the tour taking a hit. But that would likely create an ugly internal war. In a post the other day, I was thinking the PGA could create high purse small field "Super League" events, where they bring in annual "relegation" and "promotion" - would be different than the playoffs. Or they give higher %'s to the top 10 of events.

Last edited:
I'm a little more skeptical than you in thinking PGA purses might rise of any substance, but maybe some of my assumptions below are wrong.

This is not a typical business - let's say the Saudi's decided to create a new football league. The existing owners of the NFL could agree to raise salaries to combat this, and accept the additional initial loss in return that comes with that for the future good of the league. The PGA tour members own the tour as an NPO - it can't take on losses like this to face a challenge. Instead they rely on business partners who will invest more in a product that is stable or on the upswing.

Overall my views are based on the following key assumptions - if you disagree with these, or view these as incorrect (which is fine) than it changes one's assessment.
- The PGA tour has already lost some players to LIV, and will continue to lose at least a few more.
- The quality of field at PGA events will decline to some degree. Whether its not that huge or significant is still TBD. But the field quality will go down. It has already been an issue for many events before LIV even existed -- increasing the PGA tour to 48 events has already stretched the talent thin for some events.
- Opposite field LIV events will take away some eyeballs from some weak opposite field events, but this could well be a minimal factor..
- Top PGA players are not going to play more events to strengthen the events overall. If anything they are probably looking at a "Play Less for More Scenario", and this can't be attractive to business partners of the PGA Tour.
- Corporate Sponsors or TV Partners are looking for return on investments, Weaker fields do worry them, and they are not going to pay more as the fields decline a bit -- unless they feel they have some obligation to help the PGA combat this.
- LIV vs PGA won't bring in extra eyeballs to PGA Events, other than majors.. Majors will get even more interest vs regular events now, which hurts regular events.
- While the PGA will be better than the LIV, their product will inevitably decline a bit even if they crush LIV.

I see the PGA has having the following 4 ways to increase purses.
1) Corporate Sponsors - With weaker fields, and also with the general business environment, will Corporate Sponsors be willing to pay more than they initially wanted to?
2) TV Rights - Weaker fields also has to a big concern for them. TV rights will go up because they always somehow do, but I think the rate of the increase will be lower due to field issues.
3) Taking money from PGA Tour Reserves - The PGA Tour has a fair amount of reserves that it has created as an NPO... profits stashed as reserves, but that can only be a temporary solution and may also threaten their charity status.
4) Increasing Purse Sizes and telling the Charitable Foundations that run events to figure it out themselves (passing risk onto charities which they have already done at times)

As I said PGA will be better than LIV, probably far better - but even in beating them I'm not sure how their product will not take some hit.

Now I do think their are some innovative ways that could increase revenues for the top of the tour but that could involve the mid-card and low-card players of the tour taking a hit. But that would likely create an ugly internal war. In a post the other day, I was thinking the PGA could create high purse small field "Super League" events, where they bring in annual "relegation" and "promotion" - would be different than the playoffs. Or they give higher %'s to the top 10 of events.
Lots of great bullet points there. I agree that the average PGA tour event will end up taking a big hit if the PGA doesn't counter with some substantial offer for its marquee players. You are correct in the "Play Less for More". I've changed my mind in this regard but if they can make more money in a non-cut event and still be able to play the majors, they have nothing to lose by jumping ship. I think we see lots of tweaking on both tours. It has to happen but there is probably room for both. Unfortunately, I think, the ones that will suffer will be the guys just outside the 125 line (unless because of LIV, it ends up being those outside the 175) and the LPGA players who can't catch a break. Just not enough money in sponsorships to keep their purses rising like they should. It's embarrassing how little they play for and it's great golf.

All of this is the assumption that the PGA is just about the top players.. its about the whole package.. if the LIV is gonna pay just the 40 guys or so and the PGA dies who do they get when this crew gets old. the PGA is a developmental tour and the LIV is not..

great for the guys taking money after the PGA created them. There are a ton of guys who didnt really make it for a long time, the LIV kills all of them.

where do the other 150 pros play. If they cant see the big picture they should.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom