2022 USMNT Thread | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

2022 USMNT Thread

16 years ago I had a day of job interviews for a Corporate Finance gig at Target’s HQ in downtown Minneapolis.

It was late November and frigid. As tough as CNY winters are, I’d take 10 feet of snow a year over the bone chilling frozen temps of MN.

I can’t imagine playing a soccer game outdoors in early February…in Minnesota.

Miserable.

Glad they’re winning!
I visited in the summer and was shocked by how much I loved that city and area, though. Not sure I could survive the winters but amazing people and a beautiful and underrated part of the country. Anyone who loves baseball needs to visit Target Field, as well.

Just heard this stat on TV..
The final round of CONCACAF qualifying started being played in 1997.

No teams have ever won 6 games in a row over that time -- not US, not Mexico -- until tonight. Canada was the first team to win 6 games in a row.

Just heard this stat on TV..
The final round of CONCACAF qualifying started being played in 1997.

No teams have ever won 6 games in a row over that time -- not US, not Mexico -- until tonight. Canada was the first team to win 6 games in a row.
You guys will qualify with 3 points next window.
Without Davies it was impressive.

Canada has a great manager. He doesn’t take pictures with fans while a World Cup qualifying match is still taking place.

You guys will qualify with 3 points next window.
Without Davies it was impressive.

Canada has a great manager. He doesn’t take pictures with fans while a World Cup qualifying match is still taking place.

Before getting hired, He was the head coach of the Woman's Soccer Team whose success level increased significantly under his watch. I remember the topic coming up a few times on sport radio, and some in Canada not liking the move since he was coming from the Woman's game. It certainly worked out

Maybe Syracuse should hire a Woman's Basketball Coach to replace Boeheim!

Mexico given a penalty with 12 minutes to play to take the lead on Panama.

While both dropping points would have been ideal, this does keep Panama 4 points behind us with 3 games to go.

Mexico given a penalty with 12 minutes to play to take the lead on Panama.

While both dropping points would have been ideal, this does keep Panama 4 points behind us with 3 games to go.

Yep. Only result I'm not thrilled with is Costa Rica. Just 5 pts back so they are in it now.

I visited in the summer and was shocked by how much I loved that city and area, though. Not sure I could survive the winters but amazing people and a beautiful and underrated part of the country. Anyone who loves baseball needs to visit Target Field, as well.
Minneapolis had a lot of intelligent ways to avoid winter conditions (i.e. underground walkways connecting parts of downtown similar to Toronto).

I had a blast there and also met some very nice people.

But I’ll never forget how cold it was. Probably because I wasn’t expecting it to be in the single digits in November.

There's a very obvious scenario where the US doesn't qualify. Lose @ Mexico, CR and draw at home Panama.

That gives me nerves. 4pts in the window should be good. 3pts probably does it too.

When I see Christian Pulisic come on the field, I almost always say to myself "Here's the new Landon Donovan, but not a dick."|
3 points is 3 points.

You can question Berhalter about a lot of things but you cannot question his willingness to make changes.

Must win game?

Bench your talisman and start a guy who had played a grand total of 13 minutes in qualifiers up to this point.

I thought De La Torre was excellent. He also brings something different than Adams\Acosta, Mckennie and Musah in that really close control in tight spaces (although McKennie is at a different level there than he used to be).

Morris was not. Whereas Weah provided excellent spacing on the right (it was no coincidence that we were much more effective on the right in creating attacks and chances), Morris continually got caught too far inside. How many times did Robinson receive with Morris stuck inside? He also did not win a single 1 v 1 that I can recall. I can understand not starting Pulisic. Starting three games is really tough. Combine that with the frigid conditions and his injury history and you are asking for trouble. I do not, however, think Morris was the answer. I would have started Aaronson. Aaronson had only gone 94 minutes in this trifecta so he had plenty of gas in the tank.

I also thought Acosta was excellent. His biggest issue tends to be accuracy and I thought he was really good last night.

Cannon tried to play the role of Dest and combine with Weah and Mckennie\De La Torre but that is not his comfort zone nor his skillset. Yedlin is not Dest but I thought he would have been a better first choice.

Mckennie is only the second midfielder\attacker to start all three games of a trifecta. He is a beast.

I read the articles that Matty posted about the team's struggles in the offensive end. I think there is something to that. There is no question that the free-flowing attack that we now have the talent to execute has not been there. I have seen it but have not been able to figure out why so have not commented. I thought there was some of that last night, especially between Weah\Mckennie\De la Torre, but there is definitely something lacking. The ball movement is too slow; the off-the-ball movement is too slow and robotic or non-existent. I do think we should be better in this area, given our talent level, even against teams that just want to defend for 90 minutes.

Goal for the last trifecta needs to be 5 points. Hopefully, everyone is healthy and we can get this done.

3 points is 3 points.

You can question Berhalter about a lot of things but you cannot question his willingness to make changes.

Must win game?

Bench your talisman and start a guy who had played a grand total of 13 minutes in qualifiers up to this point.

I thought De La Torre was excellent. He also brings something different than Adams\Acosta, Mckennie and Musah in that really close control in tight spaces (although McKennie is at a different level there than he used to be).

Morris was not. Whereas Weah provided excellent spacing on the right (it was no coincidence that we were much more effective on the right in creating attacks and chances), Morris continually got caught too far inside. How many times did Robinson receive with Morris stuck inside? He also did not win a single 1 v 1 that I can recall. I can understand not starting Pulisic. Starting three games is really tough. Combine that with the frigid conditions and his injury history and you are asking for trouble. I do not, however, think Morris was the answer. I would have started Aaronson. Aaronson had only gone 94 minutes in this trifecta so he had plenty of gas in the tank.

I also thought Acosta was excellent. His biggest issue tends to be accuracy and I thought he was really good last night.

Cannon tried to play the role of Dest and combine with Weah and Mckennie\De La Torre but that is not his comfort zone nor his skillset. Yedlin is not Dest but I thought he would have been a better first choice.

Mckennie is only the second midfielder\attacker to start all three games of a trifecta. He is a beast.

I read the articles that Matty posted about the team's struggles in the offensive end. I think there is something to that. There is no question that the free-flowing attack that we now have the talent to execute has not been there. I have seen it but have not been able to figure out why so have not commented. I thought there was some of that last night, especially between Weah\Mckennie\De la Torre, but there is definitely something lacking. The ball movement is too slow; the off-the-ball movement is too slow and robotic or non-existent. I do think we should be better in this area, given our talent level, even against teams that just want to defend for 90 minutes.

Goal for the last trifecta needs to be 5 points. Hopefully, everyone is healthy and we can get this done.
All we need to do is get a draw in one of the 2 road games.
We never get results in San Jose.
Its all about just playing the best defensive lineup at Mexico get a draw at Azteca which we have done the last 2 WCQs.

Just get a point in Mexico and beat Panama at home.
We don’t want to need a point at Costa Rica.
We suck there.
Costa Rica has worked there way into a top 4 isn’t a lock.
At this point i just want top 3 but if we finish 4th playing New Zealand in Qatar for a WC berth seems more like a winning situation than needing a draw at Costa Rica.

3 points is 3 points.

Must win game?

I’ve only seen the second half of last night’s match (missed the Canada game).

The lack of urgency moving the ball on attack is very frustrating to watch.

They left a lot of meat on the bone taking 2-3 extra touches before playing someone through in the second half.

Felt like watching a bunch of players who need to see their teammate 100% open or halfway through their run before passing them the ball.

Really hope they establish better chemistry in the attacking third as moving the ball faster is one of the ways to help offset not having a clear alpha striker.

3 points is 3 points.

Must win game?

Aside from Aaronson, another writer mentioned that Matthew Hoppe might be a choice for the wing or the striker role, too, if none of the other guys can make it their own.

I thought Weah was terrific, a real live wire. And I also agree it was a gutsy call to start with Pulisic on the bench, but he had been pretty dreadful in the first 2 games, so I guess Greg's man management worked.

I agree that the movement on offense is robotic. More can be done, and must be. We have to honestly ask ourselves under what circumstances 3 points could be enough, because there is no guarantee of beating either Mexico or Costa Rica on the road in the next window.

I guess we'll see if Greg really does have Tata Martinez's number, or whether it's just the guys getting themselves up for the game because it's Mexico, or a little of both.

Aside from Aaronson, another writer mentioned that Matthew Hoppe might be a choice for the wing or the striker role, too, if none of the other guys can make it their own.

I thought Weah was terrific, a real live wire. And I also agree it was a gutsy call to start with Pulisic on the bench, but he had been pretty dreadful in the first 2 games, so I guess Greg's man management worked.

I agree that the movement on offense is robotic. More can be done, and must be. We have to honestly ask ourselves under what circumstances 3 points could be enough, because there is no guarantee of beating either Mexico or Costa Rica on the road in the next window.

I guess we'll see if Greg really does have Tata Martinez's number, or whether it's just the guys getting themselves up for the game because it's Mexico, or a little of both.
Yes, I was only talking about last night's match. Hoppe was not called in so not an option.

When looking at the deficiencies on the attacking end, I had focused very much on the issues game to game rather than some overarching systemic cause but, having read those articles, I agree that there could be something there.

That little two-man game that Weah and Mckennie played is what I expect to see more of (across the board, not just those two) and have been so disappointed to not see it...Those quick little interplays combining quick touches; quick, decisive, anticipatory movements and some flair has been sorely lacking.

Last edited:
The attacking midfield spots should be Pulisic, Weah, Aaronson, and Gio Reyna. 4 very good players.

Now I'm gonna spitball the 23-man squad:

GK: Turner, Steffen, Horvath
Fullbacks: Dest, Scally, A Robinson, Vines
Center backs: Zimmerman, Richards, Miles Robinson, John Brooks
Center Mids: Adams, McKennie, Musah, de la Torre, Acosta
Attacking Mids: Pulisic, Aaronson, Weah, Reyna
Forwards: Pepi, Pefok, Sargent?

So one other thing that has really bugged me of late and had a huge impact vs Canada is that Matt Turner is really really bad in his service off goal kicks and clearances. As a team, under Berhalter we haven't been good either.

Turners clearances and GKs are middle school level at times. Understandably we don't need a ball being serviced into the final third all the time as a possession based squad but when we do, we can't be dropping it 15 yards outside our own freaking 18.

Also- if you are going to use a Striker like Zardes or Pepi, you should have that card to play if you choose to. With Turner we don't and overall it puts us as risk to go down early just like we did vs Canada.

The USA “A” team would make the knockout round of the Euros.

Its a good team. Our problem is just getting everyone in top form at the same time and healthy.
Which is just luck.

I don’t think its unreasonable to expect to do really well at the 2026 WC.

Outside of France, Germany, Brazil i would like our chances at home against England, Belgium types.

I honestly would like to see de la Torre start more to really see what he can do. Big fan of his and have been for awhile.
He played very well last night. The grain of salt is that it was Honduras.

Acosta looked like a world-beater last night but, historically, teams have been able to speed him up so he is uncomfortable and the result is that his distribution suffers.

Can De La Torre put on that same performance against Mexico is the question?

CR has USa/Can at home.. ES on the road.
You have to think one of the Can/US team manages a tie so 7 pts so 23 for them 25 in a dream scenario

Pan has US away and Can at home and a likely Hond win. 7 pts would seem to be the max out of that so 21-24

Mex has US/ES and away at Hon. 9 could happen maybe 6 27-30

US has Pan home Mex/CR away 3-4 is probably the max so 22-25

can Pan/CR and jam at home so 3-7 28-32

the big what ifs

Can loses all 3 for 25
US ties Mex and beats Pan for 25
CR Sweeps for 25
Mex ties US, Beats Hon and loses to ES 25
Pan beat Can and Hon for 24

lots of ways this can still go bad.

for all the need to beat Pan talk. Mex really needs to beat us too
Can can really help us out as well.

Canada has had a great run. But they have scored some crazy goals. that one last night an all time fluke. Pipe. back heel, header on same shot..

CR has USa/Can at home.. ES on the road.
You have to think one of the Can/US team manages a tie so 7 pts so 23 for them 25 in a dream scenario

Pan has US away and Can at home and a likely Hond win. 7 pts would seem to be the max out of that so 21-24

Mex has US/ES and away at Hon. 9 could happen maybe 6 27-30

US has Pan home Mex/CR away 3-4 is probably the max so 22-25

can Pan/CR and jam at home so 3-7 28-32

the big what ifs

Can loses all 3 for 25
US ties Mex and beats Pan for 25
CR Sweeps for 25
Mex ties US, Beats Hon and loses to ES 25
Pan beat Can and Hon for 24

lots of ways this can still go bad.

for all the need to beat Pan talk. Mex really needs to beat us too
Can can really help us out as well.

Canada has had a great run. But they have scored some crazy goals. that one last night an all time fluke. Pipe. back heel, header on same shot..
The Jamaica away draw is going to hurt us a lot if we don’t make it.
Costa Rica, Mexico and Canada all got 3 in Kingston.

We could only draw.

I wish we played a home match in Denver before going to Mexico so we can practice in altitude.

I know we will lose at Costa Rica. That is what we do.
We have a chance at Mexico to get a draw.

I play the best possession and bunker team against Mexico.
Best possible lineup at Home against Panama.

Then all hands on deck at Costa Rica.

The Jamaica away draw is going to hurt us a lot if we don’t make it.
Costa Rica, Mexico and Canada all got 3 in Kingston.

We could only draw.

I wish we played a home match in Denver before going to Mexico so we can practice in altitude.

I know we will lose at Costa Rica. That is what we do.
We have a chance at Mexico to get a draw.

I play the best possession and bunker team against Mexico.
Best possible lineup at Home against Panama.

Then all hands on deck at Costa Rica.

God forbid Costa Rica be T&T 2.0

God forbid Costa Rica be T&T 2.0
Scary to consider.
We need Canada to help us against CR that matchday we go to Mexico.

Ideally for US.
Canada-CR draw. Then we get a draw against mexico.
Beat Panama and we clinch. Even a loss at Mexico if CR draw candidate and we beat Panama.

He played very well last night. The grain of salt is that it was Honduras.

Acosta looked like a world-beater last night but, historically, teams have been able to speed him up so he is uncomfortable and the result is that his distribution suffers.

Can De La Torre put on that same performance against Mexico is the question?

This may be a hot take but I think Musah and Mckennie are too similar with what they want to do in MF. De la Torre provided a different look. If he stays in form with his Dutch club would love to see him start vs Mexico.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom