2022 World Cup | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

2022 World Cup

Jesus clearing out the ball dropping to his foot at the top of the box at the eighth minute is something no other player would do on this squad.

I don't think it's just Sargeant. Not having Reyna available in a bigger role for whatever reason hurts. We have dominated possession and can't pick a pass in the final third. Reyna is without a doubt the most capable guy on the roster to do so.
I can’t understand what’s Berhalter’s deal with Reyna.

Why was he put on the team if he’s injured to the point of only being used out of desperation.

If you want to take a positive from this it would be we can dominate possession against a world power and have them playing more defensive to counter. The negative is we can't play and win against the best that way if we don't have enough finishers.

That’s something that needs to be figured out moving to the future. We need some finishers, not guys who can score against Granada, the inability to score for us is so evident at this level. Not just this game.

If you want to take a positive from this it would be we can dominate possession against a world power and have them playing more defensive to counter. The negative is we can't play and win against the best that way if we don't have enough finishers.
Tale as old as time - no world class American finishers.

My kingdom for an American Lukaku.

(I don’t care how badly he missed in Belgium’s last game, I love Lukaku)

That’s something that needs to be figured out moving to the future. We need some finishers, not guys who can score against Granada, the inability to score for us is so evident at this level. Not just this game.

Agreed. High quality finishers essentially such that the opponent doesn't matter.

We had a glimmer of hope with Dike until he got on the pitch in a USMNT uniform lol

I can’t understand what’s Berhalter’s deal with Reyna.

Why was he put on the team if he’s injured to the point of only being used out of desperation.
My theory on Reyna… he plays the game at a different pace and a different way than anyone else on the squad. He sees and tries passes no one else can envision which is going to cause a LOT more turnovers. Egghead is playing this close to the vest, don’t make mistakes, concede few chances approach. Reyna would completely bust that approach because he tries things no one else does. I guess if I were to summarize Reyna is high risk high reward, Gregg is a low risk, eek a win out type guy.

That system works against teams which rely on a mistake to carve out chances, but the Dutch don’t care, they haven’t gotten out of third gear and can create quality chances just with their movement and passing. It’s like they are the 40+ year old pick up team playing hoops who is schooling everyone else because of their passing and shooting.

At all youth levels we better be focused on developing finishers. With what we are seeing in the midfield and defense there is depth and talent. No more excuse for not building real options at the 9.

How many times is Pulisic (& others) going to lump it into the box on set pieces vs the Dutch center backs? We aren't winning the air game vs them. VD is a monster.

We have to get a higher class coach in there for 2026. Gonna have 3 years to put together a contender to take advantage of being host.

This is actually not true… Clint and McBride were pretty good strikers. So was Mathis, Donovan. It’s more so in recent years we really had this issue.

I don’t understand bringing on Haji Wright and taking off Weah.

I’d rather have a half tired Weah than a rested Wright.

Although that 2nd goal by Blind right before halftime was a gut punch, one of the things that I like about our guys is that the defense typically keeps the ball in play and recovers it when they turn the opponent over.

In the bad of days of guys like Gooch playing Center Back, all they could do was boot the ball out of play, over and over, just returning possession to the opponent, and keeping the attacks coming.

Reyna started the 2nd half, not much to show so far, after about 10 minutes of play.

This is actually not true… Clint and McBride were pretty good strikers. So was Mathis, Donovan. It’s more so in recent years we really had this issue.
Clint and McBride were excellent American strikers.

But they would be backups on WC contending teams.

I loved Dempsey’s game but he wasn’t a world class technical finisher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom