2022 Yankees Season | Page 233 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Yankees Season

Hopefully the off day let’s the team regroup back in NY. Need to win the next two behind Cole and Cortes. The pitching has been good overall the last two games minus a few pitches that Houston has put behind the stands. Bregman’s in particular stung.

Bottom line Houston is just an overall better team (right now). If we had DJ and Benintendi on this roster things would be different. Astros pitching the first two games was about as elite as you’ll get. Top to bottom they’ve got a better lineup too.

Simply put, the bats have to get going more. Postseason is all about pitching and timely hitting but 9 hits, 2 walks (I think 2 HBP too) vs 30 strikeouts in 18 innings is… not good. Credit to the Houston pitching staff, but we need several guys to step up and make contact to hopefully string together some base hits.

I like putting Bader at the top of the lineup in front of Judge and Stanton. What a year Carpenter had, but he’s in a tough spot. Getting killed on inside breaking pitches. Tough to be gone so long then facing this pitching in this moment. But there isn’t anyone else. At some point we are going to need at least one of Trevino/Higgy, Carpenter, Cabrera, Peraza, IKF, Donaldson to get a clutch RBI.
DJ and Benintendi being out does hurt a lot against a team like Houston. Those are arguably the two best "put the ball in play" guys we have.

That's what cheap Hal wants. Good enough to stay in "contention" and won't spend the big $ on FA's like Harper, Machado, and soon to be Judge. Cashman is free to prospect hug instead of getting a top line starter like Castillo. As long as attendance is +3 million Hal is OK not winning. Stop going to the stadium and spending $ on chicken tender buckets is the only way to shake up Hal.
I won't call Hal cheap. The Yanks have one of the top payrolls in baseball. I'm glad that we didn't spend the money on Harper, or Machado. Same for the non move to get Castillo. We didn't lose the 1st 2 games of the series due to pitching.

I won't call Hal cheap. The Yanks have one of the top payrolls in baseball. I'm glad that we didn't spend the money on Harper, or Machado. Same for the non move to get Castillo. We didn't lose the 1st 2 games of the series due to pitching.
No matter how well constructed the roster, any short series is a crapshoot. Ask all the 100+ win teams that have gone home early.

No matter how well constructed the roster, any short series is a crapshoot. Ask all the 100+ win teams that have gone home early.
I have been meaning to post this piece regarding the randomness of the baseball postseason.

Part II: Rethinking our playoff philosophy (on the role of chance in the postseason)

The better team wins a best of 7 series 80% of the time in the NBA.
  • In the NFL, a “best-of-11” series is needed to match the NBA’s better team advances rate.
  • In the NHL, a “best-of-51” series is needed to match the NBA’s better team advances rate.
  • And in MLB, an astounding “best-of-75” series is needed to match the NBA’s better team advances rate.

I have been meaning to post this piece regarding the randomness of the baseball postseason.

Part II: Rethinking our playoff philosophy (on the role of chance in the postseason)

The better team wins a best of 7 series 80% of the time in the NBA.
  • In the NFL, a “best-of-11” series is needed to match the NBA’s better team advances rate.
  • In the NHL, a “best-of-51” series is needed to match the NBA’s better team advances rate.
  • And in MLB, an astounding “best-of-75” series is needed to match the NBA’s better team advances rate.
Good stuff. What the Yankees did during the Torre years was truly an aberration, and probably spoiled things forever for a lot of fans. The team's exceptional World Series success during several prior periods in its history was also aberrational, but the road was obviously less daunting once the pennant was secured.

Neither Carpenter nor Donaldson can get even close to the ball. What's that old line about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

Neither Carpenter nor Donaldson can get even close to the ball. What's that old line about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

DJ and Benny can't get close to the field. Not like we have a lot of options in the dugout.

Do we really need 6 umpires on the field now that they have instant replay? The 1st base ump and RF ump are close enough together they can shake hands. Just a random thought.

Do we really need 6 umpires on the field now that they have instant replay? The 1st base ump and RF ump are close enough together they can shake hands. Just a random thought.

Umpires Union.

They've used 6 in post-season games since 1947.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom