2022 Yankees Season | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Yankees Season

This brings up a question I've always wondered about - actually two of them. Why aren't baseball parks standardized like football fields, basketball courts and ice hockey rinks? And why is it a parabola rather than a circular arc, with the distances being the same in all directions?

Why should a player have an easier time hitting a home run on one park than another and why should a player who pulls the ball the ball down the line have an easier time hitting a home run than a hitter who sprays the ball to all fields?
Meanwhile his guy hit one in the second game that would have only been a homerun in one other park. Like the man says it all averages out over the course of the season Suzyn.

This brings up a question I've always wondered about - actually two of them. Why aren't baseball parks standardized like football fields, basketball courts and ice hockey rinks? And why is it a parabola rather than a circular arc, with the distances being the same in all directions?

Why should a player have an easier time hitting a home run on one park than another and why should a player who pulls the ball the ball down the line have an easier time hitting a home run than a hitter who sprays the ball to all fields?

Why is every PGA Tour golf course different?

something about unwritten rules of baseball I imagine

Why is every PGA Tour golf course different?

Is a ballpark supposed to be like a golf course?

Even on a golf course, they don't reposition the hole for each competitor.

Is a ballpark supposed to be like a golf course?

Fenway has the "Green Monstah".

The old Polo Grounds had an outfield that went on for miles.

As long as it's 90' between bases and 60'6 from the mound to the plate.

Is it fair that Cortes had a no hitter through 7-1/3 and he won't get the W because the Yanks didn't score all game?

What you are proposing would certainly suck a lot of charm out of the game, and make it much less interesting. Not sure that's what this sport needs.

What you are proposing would certainly suck a lot of charm out of the game, and make it much less interesting. Not sure that's what this sport needs.

Would the other sports be more charming if they weren't standardized?

Would the other sports be more charming if they weren't standardized?
The differing configurations of ballparks has always existed in bsseball, often because of where they were constructed. As has been pointed out, both teams are competing on the same field, and are both subject to the same vagaries inherent to the ballpark. I just don't think an antiseptic standardization of the playing field would help the sport, which has always been a bit different than other major sports insofar as its games are untimed and more open-ended.

first of all, not all bball courts are the same size until you get to larger divisions.. And hockey is not the same size until you get to pros

The differing configurations of ballparks has always existed in bsseball, often because of where they were constructed. As has been pointed out, both teams are competing on the same field, and are both subject to the same vagaries inherent to the ballpark. I just don't think an antiseptic standardization of the playing field would help the sport, which has always been a bit different than other major sports insofar as its games are untimed and more open-ended.
Most of the original parks built in city neighborhoods had to be squeezed into the blocks they were built on. People walked or took public transportation to get to the game. As automobiles became the most common means of transportation teams needed to provide parking so they built these modern day monstrosities in the middle of acres of parking. Most of those parks were symmetrical.

first of all, not all bball courts are the same size until you get to larger divisions.. And hockey is not the same size until you get to pros

MLB is the pros.

Why are some stadiums domes? Why do some fields have turf and some don’t? Why do the Jets perpetually suck? Did Space Jam really need a sequel?

Ice Hockey rinks didn't used to be standardized. Are they now?

What is something Andy Rooney might say? I'll take "Potent Potables" for a thousand, Alex.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom