2023-24 NBA Season | Page 107 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 NBA Season

Lively is going to be good. That said I don't think Derrick Jones or PJ Washington are it. It hasn't helped Tim Hardaway JR is suddenly completely unplayable and looks like the monstars took his ability.
It will be interesting to see if the Mavs are a bit of a one-year wonder like the Heat were last year when they made their run, or if they're on a consistent upwards trajectory towards being a high-50s win team next year.

It will be interesting to see if the Mavs are a bit of a one-year wonder like the Heat were last year when they made their run, or if they're on a consistent upwards trajectory towards being a high-50s win team next year.
They did win 52 games 2 years ago and lost to the eventual NBA champion the the WCF. Last year was a really down year, but they did lose Brunson and didn't get Kyrie until right before the deadline.

They’ve had a lot of good fortune since the trade deadline. Easy schedule down the stretch. First round vs. Clippers without Leonard. Second round vs. a young OKC not ready for the spotlight. WCF vs. the Timberwolves hungover after beating Denver.

The Mavs have had an incredible season (which isn't over yet), but if they want to get back to the Finals (which will be very hard considering the Nuggets, Wolves, Clippers, etc. aren't going anywhere), they have to get a more talented wing or post player. There's too much of a drop off in offensive productivity after Luka and Kyrie. It doesn't feel sustainable.
Yeah, also, Luka's fat.

They’ve had a lot of good fortune since the trade deadline. Easy schedule down the stretch. First round vs. Clippers without Leonard. Second round vs. a young OKC not ready for the spotlight. WCF vs. the Timberwolves hungover after beating Denver.
The Celtics are legit, but luck’s usually involved, as well, in any championship run.

Not everyone realizes how much that luck and being healthy come in to play to win a championship. Our own Syracuse basketball team could have two or three more.

Even we could have 1 less. Wayne Simien was pretty darn good as a sophomore (15/8 and 65% shooting in 25 mins) and we faced Kansas without him.

Last edited:

I see 2 factors here:
1) Depends on the continued maturity of Kyrie.

2) They really upgraded their frontline from 22/23, with 4 new players who are 26 or under, and that was a big factor for the jump in record -- and probably in sustaining their success moving forward. Not sure if they will be able to keep them all contractually.

They did win 52 games 2 years ago and lost to the eventual NBA champion the the WCF. Last year was a really down year, but they did lose Brunson and didn't get Kyrie until right before the deadline.

Acquiring PJ Washington, Daniel Gafford, Derrick Jones, and drafting Derek Lively were major upgrades over what they had. Dallas hasn't always been known in recent years for great roster management, but they did a good job this year.

Last year they played Christian Wood (26 minutes) and Dwight Powell (20 miniutes), and played a lot of smaller lineups at the 3/4.

Lot's of discussion about Luka isn't doing on defense, but he is injured. I'm curious if he even would be playing if it was the regular season. Also Kyrie has been much worse on both ends in this series. He's been outplayed by Jrue Holiday.

Even we could have 1 less. Wayne Simien was pretty darn good as a sophomore (15/8 and 65% shooting in 25 mins) and we faced Kansas without him.
No the first rule of luck is it only hurts your favorite team. Never benefits it.
Can do this most seasons though. The healthiest best team usually wins. Boston went 64-18 and potentially will go 16-2. It’s one of the best seasons of all time.

Yeah it feels like it’s a little under the radar; the east being wrecked by injuries plays into it and also the fact that Boston doesn’t have like a mega star on their team. People would take them a lot more seriously (as a historically great team, which they pretty clearly as. As much as I don’t like it) if Tatum was giannis or lebron or something.

No the first rule of luck is it only hurts your favorite team. Never benefits it.

Yeah it feels like it’s a little under the radar; the east being wrecked by injuries plays into it and also the fact that Boston doesn’t have like a mega star on their team. People would take them a lot more seriously (as a historically great team, which they pretty clearly as. As much as I don’t like it) if Tatum was giannis or lebron or something.
Yeah and assuming they lock this up, I don't think that's propelling a legacy play for Tatum or Brown either.

I always though he was a bit soft, Tatum is pretty good. He’s Carmelo with better defense. Two finals in three years as the Celtic best player. He should be more respected. By the end he will be looked at more fondly than Kawhi.

The Celtics are legit, but luck’s usually involved, as well, in any championship run.

Like you said, the Celtics are legit. They’ve been the best team all year and have only lost 20 games total.

The Mavs were the 5 seed. They were a play-in team for most of the year and moved up because they had an easy schedule down the stretch.

Point being, the Celtics probably still win the title without the good luck, albeit with each series going longer. The Mavs lose in the first round if Leonard is healthy.

Lot's of discussion about Luka isn't doing on defense, but he is injured. I'm curious if he even would be playing if it was the regular season. Also Kyrie has been much worse on both ends in this series. He's been outplayed by Jrue Holiday.
Have you ever noticed that Doncic’s injuries only get worse when the Mavs are down? They add something new to injury report after each loss. If you go back to the Clippers series, once the Mavs took the lead, Doncic disappeared from the injury report.

These injuries are just an excuse for his poor play or his team’s poor play. Everyone is banged up right now. If it’s really a problem, he should get in better shape. (I’ll let OiG take it from here.)

Have you ever noticed that Doncic’s injuries only get worse when the Mavs are down? They add something new to injury report after each loss. If you go back to the Clippers series, once the Mavs took the lead, Doncic disappeared from the injury report.

These injuries are just an excuse for his poor play or his team’s poor play. Everyone is banged up right now. If it’s really a problem, he should get in better shape. (I’ll let OiG take it from here.)
Yeah Luka's fat.

You beat me to this exact post! The west wasn’t exactly the gauntlet made out to be. I had the Celtics over the Nuggets going in. Not only a variety of scorers but really good perimeter defenders on Celts.

storz winning uncompetitive games, NBA and NHL finals a snoozefest, I hope the MLB playoffs are good.

Leonard has been unreliable for years so I wouldn't call it luck that the Mavs missed him in the first round. It's par for the course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom