2023-24 NBA Season | Page 73 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 NBA Season

Whataboutism is of course the expected retort, especially with anyone who has a rooting/fan interest as you do in this instance.

I watched the game live from the moment the Cavs game was over, so, I think what you're referring to on the Divincenzo foul is the one where Lowry was called first for the foul, and it was reversed during reply as the refs ruled that Lowry hit the ball first forcing the ball loose and then from there the ensuing contact was, let's just say, fair game? So, an overturn based on rule? In any event, that wasn't in the waning moments, so, no where near the impact relative to the recovery period left to overcome such a "bad" call.

The grab that Brunson had on Maxey was pretty blatent, based on the actual footage I saw, I mean his jersey was pulled to the extent you could see the under tank worn by players. Regardless of that missed foul there in a very crucial moment, the refs didn't afford a time out (a two separate occasions) when Phillly's head coach had signalled for it. I mean, a picture paints a thousand words...
Calls definitely favored the Knicks but if Hartenstein doesn't outwork their whole team for the second shot by DD, they take the whistle out of the stripes hands. Also Nick Nurse who is pretty good out of TO's floundered on the design of their last shot, unless he wanted a gassed Embid hoisting from deep.

Calls definitely favored the Knicks but if Hartenstein doesn't outwork their whole team for the second shot by DD, they take the whistle out of the stripes hands. Also Nick Nurse who is pretty good out of TO's floundered on the design of their last shot, unless he wanted a gassed Embid hoisting from deep.
And Lowry missed a FT to put them up 6. At worst it should have been a tie game when Hartenstein blocked Maxey.

Whataboutism is of course the expected retort, especially with anyone who has a rooting/fan interest as you do in this instance.

I watched the game live from the moment the Cavs game was over, so, I think what you're referring to on the Divincenzo foul is the one where Lowry was called first for the foul, and it was reversed during reply as the refs ruled that Lowry hit the ball first forcing the ball loose and then from there the ensuing contact was, let's just say, fair game? So, an overturn based on rule? In any event, that wasn't in the waning moments, so, no where near the impact relative to the recovery period left to overcome such a "bad" call.

The grab that Brunson had on Maxey was pretty blatent, based on the actual footage I saw, I mean his jersey was pulled to the extent you could see the under tank worn by players. Regardless of that missed foul there in a very crucial moment, the refs didn't afford a time out (a two separate occasions) when Phillly's head coach had signalled for it. I mean, a picture paints a thousand words...

The overturned call on Lowry was absolutely in the waning minutes and it was an atrocious call. And of course, Philly came down and scored on the possession immediately after the overturn, so it was a massive blown call. How in god's name could the refs look at this in replay and decide to overturn it???

Not going to be able to watch the Bucks game tonight but I hope I find out they made it 2-0. I’m expecting a loss this time around though.

Agree, however, two totally and independent separate matters.

On the last Philly possession, the obvious played out: That being, the Knicks knew (as did the whole viewing audience) that Philly was going to try to have Maxey take the game tying 3, so, of course, the Knicks doubled and hedged on Maxey. Maxey, was also gassed at game's end as he and Embid where the only two 76er's that showed up the entire game. Embid's hoist was in complete desperation, credit the Knick's D I guess there, but again, pretty easy strategy considering how inept the rest of the Philly players played.

And Lowry missed a FT to put them up 6. At worst it should have been a tie game when Hartenstein blocked Maxey.

Actually, he missed two down the stretch, went one of two of both occasions in crunch time. Brutal misses for Philly no doubt.

Pretty blatant push off by Maxey on Hart before he even gets the ball. Thanks for this view.

Ha. Clearly folks see what the want to see. I mean, Hart was backpedaling to begin with, so a minor shove along with Hart's complete embellishment made it appear significant. If only Hart had fallen down there, they refs would have ignored the flop and ensuing automatic T call. ;)

The overturned call on Lowry was absolutely in the waning minutes and it was an atrocious call. And of course, Philly came down and scored on the possession immediately after the overturn, so it was a massive blown call. How in god's name could the refs look at this in replay and decide to overturn it???

I guess it depends on one's interpretation of 'waning.' I said waning moments not minutes. Moments, in my view, are seconds, minutes, well are minutes. For what it's worth, Maxey hit that three to put them up 4 with 1:09 left in the game, so still a few possessions left for both teams.

I guess it depends on one's view of 'waning.' I said waning moments not minutes. Moments in my view are seconds, minutes, well are minutes. For what it's worth, Maxey hit that three to put them up 4 with 1:09 left in the game, so still multiple possessions left for both teams.

It was a huge turning point, IMO, whether there was 30 seconds or 3 minutes left. I can't recall whether or not Divincenzo would have been shooting free throws there, but the refs took the ball out of the Knicks hands while they were holding a lead and gave the Sixers a possession they didn't deserve, which immediately led to Philly taking the lead.

And I think the Maxey push on Hart was on the same level as Brunson tugging Maxey's jersey, so play on, I suppose.

Anthony Edwards is 2-10 from the field and the T-Wolves are in total control. Great sign for them.

Feels like the Bucks just don’t have enough tonight. And another gigantic game from Siakam. We really have nobody to make things difficult for him without Giannis.

Luka would be fun to root for if he wasn't an all time crybaby

Love to see Pascal Siakam do well for the Pacers. He hasn't had a chance to shine in the playoffs for a while. In 2019 he was great as the #2/#3 cog for the Raptors, but 2020 was a disaster for him in the bubble, where he underachieved for a team that was somewhat of a contender - he really struggled mentally under those initial 2020 protocols and it hurt his performance.

Do you want to be the person that has to tell them that?
Not my job but I'm sure they aren't the first muscle head tough guys the league has banned. If there name was Smith it would have already been done.

Perhaps, from a Philly perspective, the refs can't be any worse either. As a Cleveland fan (so no horse in the race) as incredible as that finish was, if I'm a Philly fan, I'm definitely believing the refs had some coin on NY.

Replays and still shocks all over the net, NBA TV, etc. show where Brunson clearly grabs and holds Maxey's jersey on the inbound pass...a clear foul. Prior to that, Philly's coach was signalling for a T/O but didn't get it as they wanted to advance the ball to half court. Additionally, when Maxey was on the ground, in possession of the ball where no Knick yet had their hands on it, footage shows Philly's coach signalling again for a T/O. Again, it wasn't granted.

Brutal officiating down the stretch in my view, from an objective standpoint.

Maxey shoved Hart to get open on that inbounds. Brunson grabbed his jersey but it had no effect on Maxey. Compared to the contact they allowed the whole game, it was nothing. It certainly didn’t impede Maxey’s movement. Hart didn’t touch Maxey when he fell. Nurse never called for a timeout on the inbounds pass. He called for a timeout after Maxey fell and lost possession. If the timeout call happened while Maxey had the ball, it was a fraction of a second. Refs never award a timeouts in milliseconds; that’s not feasible.

Philly complaining about refs is interesting because their entire strategy last game was to foul Brunson away from the ball where it won’t get called, to wear out his legs, and it was working.

The two minute report was hilarious because it called Maxey’s two handed fully extended shove minimal contact but called Hart’s lower body grazing Maxey’s shorts a foul. The NBA is lost when it comes to officiating.

Last edited:
Maxey shoved Hart to get open on that inbounds. Brunson grabbed his jersey but it had no effect on Maxey. Compared to the contact they allowed the whole game, it was nothing. It certainly didn’t impede Maxey’s movement. Hart didn’t touch Maxey when he fell. Nurse never called for a timeout on the inbounds pass. He called for a timeout after Maxey fell and lost possession. If the timeout call happened while Maxey had the ball, it was a fraction of a second. Refs never award a timeouts in milliseconds; that’s not feasible.

Philly complaining about refs is interesting because their entire strategy last game was to foul Brunson away from the ball where it won’t get called, to wear out his legs, and it was working.

The two minute report was hilarious because it called Maxey’s two handed fully extended shove minimal contact but called Hart’s lower body grazing Maxey’s shorts a foul. The NBA is lost when it comes to officiating.

And, apparently, you're the non biased, objective expert, and not. Got it!

And, apparently, you're the non biased, objective expert, and not. Got it!

Oh I won’t claim to be unbiased. I’m a Knicks fan. But the NBA’s track record with those reports is sketchy at best. That’s one of my colder takes and not new to this situation.

Oh I won’t claim to be unbiased. I’m a Knicks fan. But the NBA’s track record with those reports is sketchy at best. That’s one of my colder takes and not new to this situation.

Not to mention these video reviews. What are they even looking at on some of them? Baffling decisions - and not just talking about the Divincenzo one.

All I know is, when I was watching the game in real time, I was blown away at the physicality and no-calls during those last couple possessions. I felt like I was watching a rugby game. It was so chaotic that I wasn't even sure who was fouling and being fouled.

All I know is, when I was watching the game in real time, I was blown away at the physicality and no-calls during those last couple possessions. I felt like I was watching a rugby game. It was so chaotic that I wasn't even sure who was fouling and being fouled.

Same. I expected a whistle at least 3 different times. I suppose it’s the difference between playoff basketball and regular season.

Let’s not lose in all of this the hilarity of Lowry hurting himself after flopping because he didn’t realize it was Embiid who pushed him. Lowry has bugged the heck out of me since his college days, so that was *chef’s kiss. Played himself.

Same. I expected a whistle at least 3 different times. I suppose it’s the difference between playoff basketball and regular season.

Let’s not lose in all of this the hilarity of Lowry hurting himself after flopping because he didn’t realize it was Embiid who pushed him. Lowry has bugged the heck out of me since his college days, so that was *chef’s kiss. Played himself.
My mind thought it heard whistles because it was expecting whistles. Lowry is alright though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom