2023-24 Portal Options | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

He’s had issues. Arrested for felony charges that were later dropped leading to his suspension by Pitt his freshman year. Was a very good player for Pitt his next year but this year had a preseason knee injury, has admitted some mental health issues while gaining weight etc limiting his availability and use. Young man just seems to be struggling physically and mentally. Pitt got a sophomore center transfer this year Federiko, who has done well for them in his absence and they believe fills the loss and uncertainty of Hugely at Pitt.

Thanks for the scoop, Cherie.

I don’t think we necessarily need a center if Jesse leaves. We may not play a zone as the base D. This greatly reduces the need for the classic rim protecting center type defender. We just need a bigger , athletic dude who can defend bigger players. How many teams even have a typical center anymore ?
I don't know, maybe PURDUE?
But you're right - look at the University of Houston.

I don’t think we necessarily need a center if Jesse leaves. We may not play a zone as the base D. This greatly reduces the need for the classic rim protecting center type defender. We just need a bigger , athletic dude who can defend bigger players. How many teams even have a typical center anymore ?
I don't know, maybe PURDUE?
But you're right - look at the University of Houston.
I don't remember if it was on this board or somewhere else, but someone showed Purdue is the only Top 10 team with a true center (I think).

I think Red still plays some zone from time-to-time, so we'll need a center, but if it's used sparingly Hima could fill that role, and Maliq could play a small-ball center in Red's predicted new system. I still like having a 7-footer, but we'll see what Red has in store for us. Best option no matter what is get Jesse back.

I did not know any of this dirt on Hugley. All I can tell is that he is a big with some toughness and touch around the rim. We, or any team for that matter, could use that type of player.

Sounds like there is a risk involved... As the HC, Autry would assess the risk and decide whether he is going to pass or give the person a chance. Its not an easy job. He had his JJ Starling fall into his lap, now its time to work for the next pieces to complete the puzzle.

These choices are what makes the job so hard and gives coaches gray hairs & early retirements.

So if you are curious there is a thread or two on the Pitt board. The back story is both sad and concerning. It sounds like the young man needs to get his life sorted out before he is ready to zero in on being a student athlete full time. I really like him as a player and he was a beast playing with Benny in the summer tour over in Italy. This kid would require a lot of homework and not one I would gamble on as a plug and play if Jesse leaves. That kid from Austin Peay is a better play than Hugley to me and there won't be a shortage of options to pursue if Red and the staff are going to be aggressive here. Even though JJ was local and seemed a done deal it sure seemed the staff was on that one in a heartbeat to make sure JJ was coming home where he belongs.

We need to see who portals on the current squad, but Red has options. Boeheim said 6-8 families contacted him about transferring to Cuse a month ago. JJ was one. There's others. Red's probably still figuring out who's leaving and who's staying.

So if you are curious there is a thread or two on the Pitt board. The back story is both sad and concerning. It sounds like the young man needs to get his life sorted out before he is ready to zero in on being a student athlete full time. I really like him as a player and he was a beast playing with Benny in the summer tour over in Italy. This kid would require a lot of homework and not one I would gamble on as a plug and play if Jesse leaves. That kid from Austin Peay is a better play than Hugley to me and there won't be a shortage of options to pursue if Red and the staff are going to be aggressive here. Even though JJ was local and seemed a done deal it sure seemed the staff was on that one in a heartbeat to make sure JJ was coming home where he belongs.
Interesting, thanks. That is too bad. If there is any chance at redemption for this kid, I hope he gets it.

That aside, whether Jesse stays or goes, I think we 100% need a player like this. We need this for the same reasons we need guards that are 'better' than Joe. We need bigs that are better than Jesse. We need enforcers. We need backups that can be the primary if needed.

Interesting, thanks. That is too bad. If there is any chance at redemption for this kid, I hope he gets it.

That aside, whether Jesse stays or goes, I think we 100% need a player like this. We need this for the same reasons we need guards that are 'better' than Joe. We need bigs that are better than Jesse. We need enforcers. We need backups that can be the primary if needed.

Right..honestly I wasn't as turned off after watching the tape out there on the kid from Austin Peay. Gotta take the lower competition level in to consideration but he brings the size and beef we haven't had for a while. Obviously Jesse is still the best case scenario and I'd want the staff to be going after a big name with a starting position available if one emerges.

I think it depends what Mintz and Jesse does. If they leave then we need immediate replacements as we don't have people on the roster to replace them. If they both stay I think we need a dynamic PF and a SG.

Mintz/JJ
JJ/PORTAL/Copeland
Benny/Bell/Taylor
PORTAL/Brown/Benny
Jesse/Hima

I won’t die on that hill. I was wrong. But I do know Adrian established the relationship in the beginning. Team Takeover and Virginia? We aren’t sending Gerry in there first. My apologies Hoopsupstate..you were right. Btw its Jesus Shuttlesworth for those that didn’t know. Carry on

Brown can play any defense. I really hope he stays. He also may be better offensively if we pick up the tempo and have less half court sets.

Taylor is a huge piece of the bench next year. Not sure about his man-D, but we need shooters.
If UVA wanted Taylor I would not worry about his d. That is all they care about at UVA.

No, we'll still need someone who can score in the low post, or else we'll be playing 4 on 5 next year.

What I'd like to see defensively is for Autry to adopt the Pitino / Louisville approach. 2-2-1 zone press to force teams to use clock, then fall back into the 2-3 zone. But don't play the forwards so high.

Don't play them at the foul line to exclusively defend the three, and then leave your center to cover the foul line, low post, and BOTH corners! If you keep the forwards 5 feet closer to the baseline, they can still close out on wing shooters, and they can also defend the corner, and get more rebounds because they are closer to the baseline.

With the guards, the strong side guard plays the ball and the weak side guard hedges halfway between the foul line and the 3 point line. As the ball switches sides, the guards slide to the opposite position.

This takes away a lot of the weaknesses of the way we play the zone. And don't forget, these guys may not have loved it, but they have been trained how to play it. It's already in their "kit bag".

But then, also have them ready to play an aggressive, in your face man. If we use a more defensively sound zone press, and can play man, too, then that's a great combination of defenses, You have a "Plan B" and a "Plan C" that don't rely on doing fundamentally unsound things on defense.

Wow, Charlie Pride is in the transfer portal from Bryant. He played locally at CBA then Liverpool under Blackwell. A starter for some very good Bryant teams. He’s a guard though (grad transfer) and we might be full at that spot unless we lose one of our guards. He wouldn’t come here I doubt to be a back up. Here are his stats - they are good.

Wow, Charlie Pride is in the transfer portal from Bryant. He played locally at CBA then Liverpool under Blackwell. A starter for some very good Bryant teams. He’s a guard though (grad transfer) and we might be full at that spot unless we lose one of our guards. He wouldn’t come here I doubt to be a back up. Here are his stats - they are good.

37% from three last year. He could be our third guard.

No, we'll still need someone who can score in the low post, or else we'll be playing 4 on 5 next year.

What I'd like to see defensively is for Autry to adopt the Pitino / Louisville approach. 2-2-1 zone press to force teams to use clock, then fall back into the 2-3 zone. But don't play the forwards so high.

Don't play them at the foul line to exclusively defend the three, and then leave your center to cover the foul line, low post, and BOTH corners! If you keep the forwards 5 feet closer to the baseline, they can still close out on wing shooters, and they can also defend the corner, and get more rebounds because they are closer to the baseline.

With the guards, the strong side guard plays the ball and the weak side guard hedges halfway between the foul line and the 3 point line. As the ball switches sides, the guards slide to the opposite position.

This takes away a lot of the weaknesses of the way we play the zone. And don't forget, these guys may not have loved it, but they have been trained how to play it. It's already in their "kit bag".

But then, also have them ready to play an aggressive, in your face man. If we use a more defensively sound zone press, and can play man, too, then that's a great combination of defenses, You have a "Plan B" and a "Plan C" that don't rely on doing fundamentally unsound things on defense.
There are some rumors out that of three players entering the portal, one who was involved with SU, may be interested or we may be interested in pursuing them. They are Kamai Lands, Elijah Fisher and Skyy Clark.

And then, don't forget we still have Elijah Moore committed:

In late January, Moore verbally committed to Syracuse basketball over other finalists Alabama, Arkansas, Miami and Oklahoma State. He is one of the premier shooters in the junior cycle.

Carlson’s article noted that while Elijah Moore obviously has great respect for Jim Boeheim, Autry and fellow ‘Cuse assistant coach Allen Griffin were most involved in recruiting Moore.

“I’m still excited,” Moore said to Carlson. “I’m still ready. I’m not worried about what’s going on. Me and Coach Autry have a great relationship. Me and the other coaches have a great relationship. Everyone knows I’m going to Syracuse so it’s no worries.”
Love hearing this, Elijah!

Four-star shooting guard Elijah Moore remains committed to Syracuse basketball.​

Moore is a standout junior at Cardinal Hayes High School in the Bronx, N.Y. Not too long ago, he was named to the New York state Catholic High School Athletic Association (“CHSAA”) “AA” All-League first team for the 2022-23 campaign.

In late February, he tallied an impressive 31 points, 10 assists and five rebounds as Cardinal Hayes defeated Archbishop Stepinac High School from White Plains, N.Y., by a final count of 85-69 for the New York “AA” Archdiocesan tournament title.

This kid who is listed as a transfer portal forward from St Francis at 6’10” has 2 years of eligibility left. Very good stats even a positive assist/to ratio, needs only some free throw work.

Had some excellent games this year against good competition.

This kid who is listed as a transfer portal forward from St Francis at 6’10” has 2 years of eligibility left. Very good stats even a positive assist/to ratio, needs only some free throw work.

Had some excellent games this year against good competition.

I hope we go with a small school star like this. We've seen several teams get rich off this strategy...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom