2023-24 Portal Options | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

There are some rumors out that of three players entering the portal, one who was involved with SU, may be interested or we may be interested in pursuing them. They are Kamai Lands, Elijah Fisher and Skyy Clark.

And then, don't forget we still have Elijah Moore committed:

In late January, Moore verbally committed to Syracuse basketball over other finalists Alabama, Arkansas, Miami and Oklahoma State. He is one of the premier shooters in the junior cycle.

Carlson’s article noted that while Elijah Moore obviously has great respect for Jim Boeheim, Autry and fellow ‘Cuse assistant coach Allen Griffin were most involved in recruiting Moore.

Love hearing this, Elijah!

Four-star shooting guard Elijah Moore remains committed to Syracuse basketball.​

Moore is a standout junior at Cardinal Hayes High School in the Bronx, N.Y. Not too long ago, he was named to the New York state Catholic High School Athletic Association (“CHSAA”) “AA” All-League first team for the 2022-23 campaign.

In late February, he tallied an impressive 31 points, 10 assists and five rebounds as Cardinal Hayes defeated Archbishop Stepinac High School from White Plains, N.Y., by a final count of 85-69 for the New York “AA” Archdiocesan tournament title.

Good scoop, Bill. Thank you!

I remember our pursuit of Kamari Lands, a very highly recruited prospect. Picking Louisville, who can blame him for leaving?

Elijah Fisher from Texas Tech seems like another guard to fill out the 3 man rotation. Not a killer 3 point shooter, though. I guess if we press and run, we'll get enough transition opportunities to decrease our need for 3 point shooting ...

Skyy Clark sounds a lot like the other guys - a combo guard without a great outside shot. Left Illinois in mid-season after hurting his shoulder.

Quality talent that they're looking at. Nice to hear!

Charlie Pride from Bryant in the portal.

If Anderson hadn't been fired could see him going somewhere like that to play that frenetic style.

Good scoop, Bill. Thank you!

I remember our pursuit of Kamari Lands, a very highly recruited prospect. Picking Louisville, who can blame him for leaving?

Elijah Fisher from Texas Tech seems like another guard to fill out the 3 man rotation. Not a killer 3 point shooter, though. I guess if we press and run, we'll get enough transition opportunities to decrease our need for 3 point shooting ...

Skyy Clark sounds a lot like the other guys - a combo guard without a great outside shot. Left Illinois in mid-season after hurting his shoulder.

Quality talent that they're looking at. Nice to hear!
I read that Sky Clark is probably headed to Louisville.

I haven't read this thread but I see John Hughley is in the portal. He's a big dude. I always liked what he brought. Him and Maliq at the 4. Benny and JT and/or Bell at the 3.

I haven't read this thread but I see John Hughley is in the portal. He's a big dude. I always liked what he brought. Him and Maliq at the 4. Benny and JT and/or Bell at the 3.

Check out the comments- lots of off court concerns here.

I have a feeling Red is going to add a portal guy that nobody thought of and when it's announced we'll all be surprised and he'll be a perfect fit.
What I’m hoping for is what happened with Boeheim‘s army two years ago. When they had all Syracuse alums they never got over the hump, but when they added three non-Cuse players, they suddenly took on a different (tougher) personality and won the chip.

Check out the comments- lots of off court concerns here.
Gotcha. I was doing a search but spelled his name wrong. No wonder nothing came up. D'oh!!!

I'm sure they would get the skinny before they went after him. The kid has potential. He's not the only one though.

Portal is going to be loaded, especially after the tournament. Gotta think/hope Red adds at least 3 guys from the portal

If he gets 3 more guys the caliber of Starling, this team is going to be very good next year.

Can anyone tell me if it would be viable to get JJ and the kid from TTU or do they overlap position-wise / skill set?

They look kind of similar to me. But we want to have 3 electric guards. I just wish one of them could shoot 35+ from three.

I know this might be shocking, given the bastion of cleanliness That is the NCAA, but there are probably some back channel conversations before people hit the portal.

Yeah, just like Seton Hall never got to play those 2 guys they tampered with and stole from us, right?

Known about starling for a little bit now. Have been alluding to it. If Autry is serious about playing up tempo and getting up and down. You get Judah back, bring in starling and tell Joe thank you for the last four years. There legitimately would not be a better back court in America for your tempo basketball than Judah and Starling. Both are absolute studs in transition and Judah is one of the best finishers around the basket we’ve seen here in awhile. You paid them with Benny and Brown on the wings both of which are extremely athletic and can run like deer. And get Jesse back who runs the floor extremely well for a big guy and can finish well in transition. Fellas not only is that a great up tempo line up but that’s a great defensive line up too and extremely athletic team. That’s the type of Cuse team we are used too. Would be a great start for Autry

You still need a 3rd guard who's a shooter. We're going to see a lot of zone with those 2 as our primary guards.

If he gets 3 more guys the caliber of Starling, this team is going to be very good next year.
You do realize that Starling was rated #1 in the portal. So unless more top names enter the portal when their teams are eliminated, chances are they won't be the same caliber.

After Sunday only 16 out of 64 (68?) teams remain, so the portal should blow up.

You do realize that Starling was rated #1 in the portal. So unless more top names enter the portal when their teams are eliminated, chances are they won't be the same caliber.

After Sunday only 16 out of 64 (68?) teams remain, so the portal should blow up.

It only opened today. So, "#1" is relative to time.
As others have said in this thread, watch who enters the portal as their teams are eliminated from post-season tournaments, or coaches move on.

If Jesse leaves who do they have play center? Hima can’t be the starter.. right?

Hima's a nice defensive option for next year, but yes, we also need a center who can score down low.

Too bad about Symir transferring, like someone else posted, I think he's got the makings of a coach. I get it if he wants minutes, otherwise learning from Red, Griff, and Gmac ain't terrible.

No, he's too limited. Those who are somewhat critical of Starling's current limitations don't seem to understand that he was still 3 times more productive than Symir, and he was hurt at the end of the season. Big upgrade. Symir helped us for a few weeks, and then faded back into the background.

It only opened today. So, "#1" is relative to time.
As others have said in this thread, watch who enters the portal as their teams are eliminated from post-season tournaments, or coaches move on.
Technically it opened Monday, the day JJ declared. It closes May 11th. But once someone is in it, they can go right until the 1st day of school, like Andrew White did.

I’m not 100% confident on any of this. But I get the hunch that Judah goes through and tests the NBA waters but ultimately comes back for one more season. Jesse comes back. They fell Girard thanks for the last 4 years. Symir leaves. Bell transfers.

I think we have a starting line up of:

Mintz
Starling
Benny
Brown
Jesse

Copeland is the 3rd guard
Taylor comes in as a 2/3 wherever needed
Hima is the back up to Jesse
Carey doesn’t get much time but he’s still there

Then I think you go hard after 2 forwards in the portal. They don’t need to be studs but solid role players and potentially future starters in a season or 2. And then possibly go hard after a legit back up center if you can get one.

Realistically you pull that off and you have a top 15 team next year, if Autry can coach and develop even a lick lol

One F should be big and physical with a low post game. And the other should be a reliable 3 point shooter, especially if Bell leaves.

Great name, but a quick look-up shows that he's a grad transfer, and although he averaged 20 PPG last year, it was for a Delaware team that plays very weak competition, and he only shot 30% from 3 as an academic senior.

Official.

Grad transfer. Was hurt his soph and junior seasons, but had a big senior year for Temple. 18 PPG and 35% from three. Plus, of course, his brother had a good experience here. I like him the best for what we need from a third guard, so far.