2023-24 Portal Options | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

His numbers aren't great. I guess this means Taylor and Bell may both be gone?

Yeah wondering the same here... seems a carbon copy of Bell but not quite as athletic. He was one of Temples top rebounders but...

He can catch and shoot really quick. Moves to open areas very well. Can he put the ball on the floor? We need forwards who can also attack the rim. He has a much stronger frame than our forwards.

He can catch and shoot really quick. Moves to open areas very well. Can he put the ball on the floor? We need forwards who can also attack the rim. He has a much stronger frame than our forwards.
Judging by his numbers, no. He averages 8 shots a game for his career and less than 2 of them are 2's.

For those who needed a refresher this is the kid that beat up on Estrella. He was supposed to visit but Cooley outworked us and got the commitment.

Didn't we recruit this kid?

I liked him more than Estrella [although he had knee problems, which is a concern].

Would love to get back involved.

Didn't we recruit this kid?

I liked him more than Estrella [although he had knee problems, which is a concern].

Would love to get back involved.
When he picked Providence, he said he was sold on Providence winning a National Championship in the near future. He could follow Cooley, but Georgetown might take a year or so to rebuild. Could be an option for Cuse. Either way, I hope the staff reaches out.

Me too -- this kid's game is more like a top 25 recruit. Likewise, hope we get back involved.
Are we over valuing his game? There’s a lot of difference between top 25 and 112. I think we can do better in the portal. We know the kid from Temple has made shots on the college level. Just saying? It will be interesting how Red and the staff feel about this kid.

Are we over valuing his game? There’s a lot of difference between top 25 and 112. I think we can do better in the portal. We know the kid from Temple has made shots on the college level. Just saying? It will be interesting how Red and the staff feel about this kid.
Fielder would be a PF/C and Hicks is a SF.

You're undervaluing it. I watched him play, and watched him go head-2-head another time against Estrella [who WAS a top 25 caliber prospect], and outplay him.

Not "over valuing" his game at all. This kid is a great rebounder, with a highly refined post game, and range out to three.

When he picked Providence, he said he was sold on Providence winning a National Championship in the near future. He could follow Cooley, but Georgetown might take a year or so to rebuild. Could be an option for Cuse. Either way, I hope the staff reaches out.
Rebuilds are quicker in the portal era, just look at K St and Iowa St with new head coaches. Both made tournament in year 1.

You're undervaluing it. I watched him play, and watched him go head-2-head another time against Estrella [who WAS a top 25 caliber prospect], and outplay him.

Not "over valuing" his game at all. This kid is a great rebounder, with a highly refined post game, and range out to three.
I’m not questioning his potential, but in todays game there are options that you have to take into consideration. It could effect the recruiting of both Freeman and Sorber, who are both rated as higher recruits

Rebuilds are quicker in the portal era, just look at K St and Iowa St with new head coaches. Both made tournament in year 1.
Agreed that Cooley could definitely have a tournament team next year, especially if he brings over his players and recruits. Selling a recruit on a National Championship or Final Four is tough when taking over a disaster of a program. Not saying he won't be successful, but I am saying the recruit might have different feelings.

I’m not questioning his potential, but in todays game there are options that you have to take into consideration. It could effect the recruiting of both Freeman and Sorber, who are both rated as higher recruits

HU, I respect your opinions -- so this initial reaction to your post above is going to come across more pointed than how I intend, but it isn't intended to be negative toward the fair point you make.

But my reaction is -- so what?

First of all, neither Freeman nor Sorber are locks to come here. For that matter, there's no guarantee that we'd even get back involved with Fiedler.

Secondly, Jesse is no lock to return. If he departs, then we need better players up front to offset that loss than Hima / Patterson [who is no guarantee to even be here next year, given the coaching change]. Fiedler could help next year, whereas the other two you mention are class of 2024.

Third, Red's goal [and every coach's goal, really] should be to recruit over the incumbents. Neither Freeman nor Sorber should be precluded from coming here by Fiedler being on the roster. If they are, and don't want to compete, then we don't want them anyway. And the days of heavy minutes being gifted to 7 players and those players alone are probably over, so there's room for minutes on an expanded rotation; may the best players get the PT.

Fourth, we probably need to add two bigs minimum, this year and next. There's room for all three. And it is unlikely anyway that we'd GET all three. So I'd take any combination we can get.

Lastly, given the talent level on the roster, we're not in a position to worry about bird in the bush considerations.

Now, if we knew that Sorber and Freeman were locks to come here, then my answer might change. But neither player is [despite the emphasis that the coaching staff seems to be placing on Sorber in particular]. We need to add talent, and Fiedler is a talent.

Last edited:
Agreed that Cooley could definitely have a tournament team next year, especially if he brings over his players and recruits. Selling a recruit on a National Championship or Final Four is tough when taking over a disaster of a program. Not saying he won't be successful, but I am saying the recruit might have different feelings.
I mean look at Louisville, they just pulled in 2 top 40 recruits and added a former 5 star transfer after going 4-28.

Just watched Zach Hicks' portal highlight video:
The entire thing consists of spot-up 3-pointers. Looks like a good player. He'll be a Junior. I assume he would demand a starting position. Which tells me Red may be moving away from Bell at the 3. My problem is this: if we're looking for a transfer wing to start (which I'm on board for), I hope they land a do-it-all stud wing. Not sure this guy beats defenders off the dribble. Seems pretty similar to Bell, so why not just go with Bell. As a sophomore he rebounded better than Bell as a freshman. That's a big deal if Bell can't learn to rebound. If either him or Bell would settle for a bench position, then it's good to have options of shooters at the 3. If Judah and JJ start at guard, we'll definitely need shooting forwards. Both guards excel at getting to the rim, so we should surround them with shooters and I suppose it's less important for our 3 to beat guys off the dribble, although I'd really like that.

I guess I'm just wondering if we could do better at the forward position if we're moving away from our current guys. Remains to be seen whether Bell takes a big sophomore leap. His shot is pure and he's athletic. I only watched this one video, and he could be capable of more than I saw. Also it's early in the portal so it's good to see the staff building relationships, and perhaps better players enter the portal later they can pursue. I'm open to someone changing my mind.