2023-24 Portal Options | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

Saw a tweet today that listed about 30 schools whom have contacted Hugley, a good percentage of whom are in the tourney, and none of them were SU.
Assuming that tweet was accurate--

This is a hint as to how Autry wants to construct his roster.

I don't remember if it was on this board or somewhere else, but someone showed Purdue is the only Top 10 team with a true center (I think).

I think Red still plays some zone from time-to-time, so we'll need a center, but if it's used sparingly Hima could fill that role, and Maliq could play a small-ball center in Red's predicted new system. I still like having a 7-footer, but we'll see what Red has in store for us. Best option no matter what is get Jesse back.
Hima could be good as both the back end of the press and the center of the 2-3 zone.

I suspect he'll really struggle playing man if forced to switch on the perimeter.

If we're going to play a switching defense, Hima fouls out on average every 22 minutes of game time anyway... So only have him in when we're playing those two defenses.

I think it's a great tool if you use it right. Not this "all the time" version with its obvious flaws the way JB played it, fully selling out to put 4 guys on the 3 point line, with only your center to cover the other half of the court and nobody to rebound. Pitino won a Natty at Louisville using a mix of a zone press, and then falling back into a 2-3 zone.
I agree, especially if you have the athletes, you gotta have it in your tool box.

You are missing the essential issue; playing the zone seriously limited our recruiting. The coaches better be out there telling the recruits that SU is now a MTM team - we should know soon if this is the case.
I think it was more the way we were using it vice the fact that we used it. It can't be your only defense. Most players have played basic 2-3 so it's not going to scare them unless that's all you do.

Hima could be good as both the back end of the press and the center of the 2-3 zone.

I suspect he'll really struggle playing man if forced to switch on the perimeter.

If we're going to play a switching defense, Hima fouls out on average every 22 minutes of game time anyway... So only have him in when we're playing those two defenses.

Yeah, as the defensive part of the rotation, I think the best we are looking at is 15-20 minutes per game next year. But it's realistic to think that he'll get about 4 points, 5 or so rebounds, and 2 or 3 blocks in that time. That would be a very solid and useful rotation player. He would be making us a better team.

Saw a tweet today that listed about 30 schools whom have contacted Hugley, a good percentage of whom are in the tourney, and none of them were SU.

That's ok. There does seem to be some baggage there. It's not like he's the only possibility out there.

And the fact he is clueless as a coach will have them still losing.
If they can't win with those guys, you'd have to think players will stop going there. Nobody wants to be told how great they are their whole life and then go play for a loser.

If they can't win with those guys, you'd have to think players will stop going there. Nobody wants to be told how great they are their whole life and then go play for a loser.

Well Clark being a 5 star, based on seeing him play this year isn't far off from Benny as a 5 star frosh. Pedigree and recruiting ranking is there but his game isn't close to that level so far.

No, we'll still need someone who can score in the low post, or else we'll be playing 4 on 5 next year.

What I'd like to see defensively is for Autry to adopt the Pitino / Louisville approach. 2-2-1 zone press to force teams to use clock, then fall back into the 2-3 zone. But don't play the forwards so high.

Don't play them at the foul line to exclusively defend the three, and then leave your center to cover the foul line, low post, and BOTH corners! If you keep the forwards 5 feet closer to the baseline, they can still close out on wing shooters, and they can also defend the corner, and get more rebounds because they are closer to the baseline.

With the guards, the strong side guard plays the ball and the weak side guard hedges halfway between the foul line and the 3 point line. As the ball switches sides, the guards slide to the opposite position.

This takes away a lot of the weaknesses of the way we play the zone. And don't forget, these guys may not have loved it, but they have been trained how to play it. It's already in their "kit bag".

But then, also have them ready to play an aggressive, in your face man. If we use a more defensively sound zone press, and can play man, too, then that's a great combination of defenses, You have a "Plan B" and a "Plan C" that don't rely on doing fundamentally unsound things on defense.
I 100 percent agree about our forwards coming up. We started that after like 2013. Since then have u noticed us getting any traps in corners. We don’t anymore cause of the forward rotation. we rotate the forwards up to double a guard which leaves someone open somewhere for a 3. It kills me.

So it's Saturday morning and no new Cuse portal announcements so far...
patience-young.gif