2023-24 Portal Options | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

Great plan -- let's not go after a talented big in hopes of landing a pair of bigs we aren't actively pursuing.
So you want Drew as a Jesse replacement if he doesn’t return? It’s trrrible roster/class management. we would have Drew, Benny, Malik, Peter, Will, Mounir on the roster. how many developmental PF/C prospects do we need?

So you want Drew as a Jesse replacement if he doesn’t return? It’s trrrible roster/class management. we would have Drew, Benny, Malik, Peter, Will, Mounir on the roster. how many developmental PF/C prospects do we need?

Long term roster management is EXACTLY what I'm concerned about. We don't know what Jesse is going to do, but even best case scenario we only have him for one more year. The other bigs on the roster are Hima and Brown, who is a PF. Renting a portal transfer for one year doesn't solve that problem beyond next season, either. That's what would be trrrrible roster management, and short sighted. And we'd be right back in the same spot, scrambling to line up a player to replace Jesse, unless we bring somebody in who can get his feet wet in year 1, then be ready for an expanded role in year 2.

We have open scholarships. Attrition won't be a problem. We can add players for both long term and short term. A player like Fielder has a high skill level, and is a plus rebounder / shot blocker -- he isn't a "project." He's exponentially more refined / developed than Patterson -- if you want to cut somebody loose, that's the guy.

Long term roster management is EXACTLY what I'm concerned about. We don't know what Jesse is going to do, but even best case scenario we only have him for one more year. The other bigs on the roster are Hima and Brown, who is a PF. Renting a portal transfer for one year doesn't solve that problem beyond next season, either. That's what would be trrrrible roster management, and short sighted. And we'd be right back in the same spot, scrambling to line up a player to replace Jesse, unless we bring somebody in who can get his feet wet in year 1, then be ready for an expanded role in year 2.

We have open scholarships. Attrition won't be a problem. We can add players for both long term and short term. A player like Fielder has a high skill level, and is a plus rebounder / shot blocker -- he isn't a "project." He's exponentially more refined / developed than Patterson -- if you want to cut somebody loose, that's the guy.

Yeah if there is a reason to not chase here it would only be that he is fully expected to follow Cooley. He was quick to decommit after Cooley announced- have to figure Hoyas have a pretty good head start here.

Talent wise- would make little sense to not be re-recruiting this kid .

Yeah if there is a reason to not chase here it would only be that he is fully expected to follow Cooley. He was quick to decommit after Cooley announced- have to figure Hoyas have a pretty good head start here.

Talent wise- would make little sense to not be re-recruiting this kid .

I think that people who aren't familiar with his game and haven't seen him play look at him being ranked 111 [or whatever], and assume that he isn't any good.

When in actuality, he has top 30-caliber skills. The coaching staff was VERY excited about the possibility of landing this kid when Estrella went elsewhere.

But, that was a different head coach, and a different system. No idea whether we'd get back involved, or whether he's inevitably Georgetown-bound, like you logically suggest.

I think that people who aren't familiar with his game look at the ranking, see he's ranked 111 [or whatever], and assume that he isn't any good.

When in actuality, he has top 30-caliber skills.

Yeah, a lotta people who actually saw him play said that his game was a lot like Flip from Duke.

he was pretty decent for a developmental player.

No harm in pursuing him.

He looks like a Lydon clone, and who wouldn’t take that every day of the week?

I think that people who aren't familiar with his game look at the ranking, see he's ranked 111 [or whatever], and assume that he isn't any good.

When in actuality, he has top 30-caliber skills.

Yeah as soon as the tape was shared on this kid which everyone can see on the recruiting board it was clear this should be a top 30 kid hands down.

My hope for how it plays out (not necessarily in this order)
1. JJ takes JGIII’s spot (check)
2. Moore takes Symir’s
3. Hicks or another forward takes JBA’s
4. Jesse returns
5. Judah returns (but we’ll be okay if Moore comes)

Feels like some major upgrades and a team that could be pretty darn good next year.

I assume everyone else has noticed that we haven’t reached out to one transfer center. This is making me think that Jesse is going to come back for his final year? Anyone else agree?

I assume everyone else has noticed that we haven’t reached out to one transfer center. This is making me think that Jesse is going to come back for his final year? Anyone else agree?

Only 80% of him is coming back.

Great plan -- let's not go after a talented big in hopes of landing a pair of bigs we aren't actively pursuing.
Let’s also continue clogging up the roster with kids who can’t play instead of going after more talented players by recruiting over them. If Fielder is interested, find the space.

Stop it Rick. You never heard of Cole in your life until this week.

30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by PeacockTV