2023-24 Portal Options | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

Girard is too undisciplined for Pitino; takes too many bad shots. I don’t see it unless he is willing to subjugate his game, which I see no evidence of. Could see him going to somewhere like Sienna where he has even more free reign to shoot a gazillion times a game.
This is now a rumor I've just seen thrown around on social media.

This is now a rumor I've just seen thrown around on social media.
I am sure Pitino would love Joe if he was willing to play 20mpg.

The question will be is that something Joe would do?

No.

I don’t think Joe would be content with anything less than 30 mpg and taking the bulk of the teams shots tbh.

No.

I don’t think Joe would be content with anything less than 30 mpg and taking the bulk of the teams shots tbh.

I don’t know how you define “bulk” but he only took 1 shot per game more than Judah. And last year he was 4th in FGA on the team. The “rumor” we were told was that he was going to average 20 shots per game. He took 13.7 per game. If it wasn’t for the fact we had no consistent scorers besides the core 3 it may have been fewer.

I don’t know how you define “bulk” but he only took 1 shot per game more than Judah. And last year he was 4th in FGA on the team. The “rumor” we were told was that he was going to average 20 shots per game. He took 13.7 per game. If it wasn’t for the fact we had no consistent scorers besides the core 3 it may have been fewer.

Ok I was a little hyperbolic. But it was try to make a point.

He lead the team in shots per game. I don’t think he’s going anywhere that’s going to only offer him a smaller role than what he’s getting now. Certainly not if it includes dropping a level of play (which playing at SJU arguably may be)

Last edited:
New multi time undergraduate transfer rules…. Mental health waivers will be the new run off waivers

This guy is ranked #1 in the portal I saw.
Graham Ike played at Wyoming - 3 years of eligibility left (including a Covid year). Forward 6’9” 245 lbs - had a foot injury this past season and redshirted. In 2021-2022 averaged 19.5 pt/g, .510 FG%, .716FT%, 9.6 R/game in 31.6 min/ game

Doubt he lasts long in the portal - impressive stats

I think it makes perfect sense for those players to enter the portal. Being in the portal doesn't commit them to anything, and, if the new coach wants some, or all, of them on the squad next year, he can recruit them like anyone else. So, if the players like Temple's new hire, they can remain, and if they don't have any confidence in him, they can leave. Entering the portal only expands their options.
Everything in your post is 100% correct, but you're not taking NIL into consideration.

The NIL market isn’t waiting. According to someone paying very close attention to Temple NIL values, as many as four of the six Owls in the portal have six-figure values on the NIL market. All have quite a bit more value than the $5,000 they got from Temple’s NIL collective this past season.

I'd be very surprised if any of them return.

Any guesses? Hopefully not Posh/Curbelo. I’d love someone like Devin Carter. Unless it is Justin Moore?!?
From what is being tossed around the connection is with straughn/tto and only so many kids fit that. I guess it could be someone totally unrelated to the rumors out there. I hope it's Moore.

How about Jared Bynum, PG transfer from Providence? 2nd team all Big East...his video looks terrific.

Pitino would want Joe to be like Richie Farmer from his original Kentucky teams. Not sure Joe is wired that way.

Yeah wondering the same here... seems a carbon copy of Bell but not quite as athletic. He was one of Temples top rebounders but...
How is he a carbon copy of Bell when he actually rebounds

According to hoop-math, more than half his shots in 2021-22 were jumpers, but he's 6'9" and 250. I'd expect a lot more dunks and layups from someone that size. Anyone know what happened there?
Modern offense

At some point Bees, you have to realize you can’t change the “Joe sucks” narrative that some people hold true, regardless of the facts.

How is he a carbon copy of Bell when he actually rebounds

Are you here to simply try and start an argument? His game is very similar. I also already pointed out the rebounding in a prior post.

Bell was much more active and effective on the boards over the last 6 games of the year averaging 4.8 Rebs per 40. Hicks on the year was around 6.2 Rebs per 40 in his sophomore year. That's a difference, based on how Bell started to improve that could be shored up.

So as very thin spot up or one dribble and a pull up shooters they are very similar with Bell the better athlete.

Last edited:
Any guesses? Hopefully not Posh/Curbelo. I’d love someone like Devin Carter. Unless it is Justin Moore?!?
Obviously doesn't have to be someone currently in the portal, but limiting myself to those guys, a few that sort of stand out:
  • Chuck Harris - DC kid (played in high school a couple miles from me), has played a lot of minutes for Butler the last three years, averaging over 10 points per game each season.
  • Primo Spears - Transferring from Georgetown, already transferred once from Duquesne (where we just brought in Hima) and played in HS at the same school as Woody Newton. Averaged 16 and 5 assists this season (granted Georgetown was awful)
  • Jordan Riley - Another GTown dude. Not sure he'd qualify as "quality" as he was ~130th ranked recruit in his class and only played 15ish minutes per game the last two years for GTown. Mentioning him because he's from Long Island so could potentially be re-establishing a pipeline in the NYC area.
  • Denver Anglin - I think we may have recruited him coming out of high school. NJ kid, top 100 recruit. Barely played for GTown as a freshman.
  • Rafael Pinzon - Transferring from St. Johns where he played 15ish minutes per game the last two years. Came from Long Island where he was a 3 star (outside the top 200).
  • Edit: Jayden Taylor - Indianapolis kid, stayed home to play for Butler. Averaged 13 a game this past season as a sophomore.
Looking at names that we recruited in the past (and are not in the portal yet/may not transfer at all):
  • Zion Cruz - lol
  • Kadary Richmond - lol
  • Andre Jackson - feels unlikely

Last edited:
Obviously doesn't have to be someone currently in the portal, but limiting myself to those guys, a few that sort of stand out:
  • Chuck Harris - DC kid (played in high school a couple miles from me), has played a lot of minutes for Butler the last three years, averaging over 10 points per game each season.
  • Primo Spears - Transferring from Georgetown, already transferred once from Duquesne (where we just brought in Hima) and played in HS at the same school as Woody Newton. Averaged 16 and 5 assists this season (granted Georgetown was awful)
  • Jordan Riley - Another GTown dude. Not sure he'd qualify as "quality" as he was ~130th ranked recruit in his class and only played 15ish minutes per game the last two years for GTown. Mentioning him because he's from Long Island so could potentially be re-establishing a pipeline in the NYC area.
  • Denver Anglin - I think we may have recruited him coming out of high school. NJ kid, top 100 recruit. Barely played for GTown as a freshman.
  • Rafael Pinzon - Transferring from St. Johns where he played 15ish minutes per game the last two years. Came from Long Island where he was a 3 star (outside the top 200).
Looking at names that we recruited in the past (and are not in the portal yet/may not transfer at all):
  • Zion Cruz - lol
  • Kadary Richmond - lol
  • Andre Jackson - feels unlikely
Harris is solid, and maybe fits the description as a “quality big east guard” as opposed to a stud. He’d be a good first guard off the bench