2023-24 Portal Options | Page 139 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

From what I saw last year, unless Copeland makes a big jump in the off season, I can't see him even sniffing a starting role. I liked his energy, but he turned the ball over a bit too much for my liking.

I think he's closer than you think. Not guaranteeing anything but he just has to string together the things we did see last year.

I think he's closer than you think. Not guaranteeing anything but he just has to string together the things we did see last year.
He needs some shooters around him to be successful, I think. I don't want to say his jumper is as bad as Andre Jackson's, but...

He needs some shooters around him to be successful, I think. I don't want to say his jump is as bad as Andre Jackson's, but...

Yeah he needs guys who can shoot it and are good moving without the rock for sure. He needs to be locked in as well. His shot form isn't awful and he shows he can possibly hit a decent percentage in the lane if he keeps polishing that part of his game. Like the others his ability to get to the rim is high level as is his vision.

Yeah he needs guys who can shoot it and are good moving without the rock for sure. He needs to be locked in as well. His shot form isn't awful and he shows he can possibly hit a decent percentage in the lane if he keeps polishing that part of his game. Like the others his ability to get to the rim is high level as is his vision.
:) I think we're going to see a lot of zone defense next season. Except, by the opposition.

I think people are overrating Copeland some. He looked uber-athletic on our team compared to the rest of the roster. Do I think he can be a serviceable bench piece for his career? Yes Do I think he is some top talent that needs to be starting and not recruited over if we can? No

Sounds like Brown at the 5 is likely going to happen, at least for a few minutes per game.
I don't know about that. It's been speculated a lot here on the board, but as far as I know there's been nothing said by the staff indicating that Brown should prepare for center minutes.

I don't know about that. It's been speculated a lot here on the board, but as far as I know there's been nothing said by the staff indicating that Brown should prepare for center minutes.
Yeah, I hope that's right. 4 scholarship centers on the roster. We shouldn't have to use an under sized power forward at center, even for a few minutes.

I think people are overrating Copeland some. He looked uber-athletic on our team compared to the rest of the roster. Do I think he can be a serviceable bench piece for his career? Yes Do I think he is some top talent that needs to be starting and not recruited over if we can? No
Probably unpopular opinion but I think the same could be same about all of the 2022 class except Judah.

Kind of the fault of adding 6 top 150 freshman and expecting them to contribute to becoming a winning team in year 1 (we weren’t a good team last year). I have no issues with seeing how they develop after their soph year and figuring out which should stay or go

Yeah, I hope that's right. 4 scholarship centers on the roster. We shouldn't have to use an under sized power forward at center, even for a few minutes.
Yeah, at this point we really don't know for sure what to expect from Red's rotations.

It sounds like we're going to play a style that burns more energy, which means we're going to need to go deeper into the bench and spread minutes around more than we're used to seeing.

What that means for any of our players exactly is hard to say. Maybe Maliq does play some 5. It could happen. I just have a hard time seeing it as a stone cold lineup lock.

:) I think we're going to see a lot of zone defense next season. Except, by the opposition.

Which is fine because we will have enough standstill shooters to counter and the athletes to drive inside a makeshift zone

Probably unpopular opinion but I think the same could be same about all of the 2022 class except Judah.

Kind of the fault of adding 6 top 150 freshman and expecting them to contribute to becoming a winning team in year 1 (we weren’t a good team last year). I have no issues with seeing how they develop after their soph year and figuring out which should stay or go
This feels like the unspoken reality facing the '22 class. Red recognized the lack of talent depth that has plagued the program recently and wants to challenge every spot on the team - as major programs operate.

The transfer portal is only going to increase the competition of spots, knowing that lack of performance can replace you in a second, as we've seen this offseason. Team competition used to breed deep, vintage Orange rosters. Red knows. It's back.

This is a complete shot in the dark with no inside info, but could this A-10 star he’s referring to possibly be James Bishop from GW if Mintz doesn’t come back? There is the obvious tie to Straughn.
Nah, plenty of decent guards to choose from on the roster already. Next incoming will likely be a HS kid to sit and learn.

Nah, plenty of decent guards to choose from on the roster already. Next incoming will likely be a HS kid to sit and learn.

If it were a Ty Laur not sure sit and listen would be all he would do.

I agree there are plenty of guards on the roster, but none of them have any experience running PG at the collegiate level. And without Judah you have to replace your only 3 consistent scorers from last season, and you have no one on the roster who has been a consistent scoring threat. Even Cuffe said he was good committing to Syracuse even if Judah comes back. If he’s back it’s a moot point, but if he’s not you have to ask yourself if you think next years roster is a tournament team. I’m not confident it is without Judah or another experienced PG.

This is a complete shot in the dark with no inside info, but could this A-10 star he’s referring to possibly be James Bishop from GW if Mintz doesn’t come back? There is the obvious tie to Straughn.
My first guess is Tyler Burton, who I really like, and if not him Yuri Collins, who I also really like.

Wow you just hate to see it
The funny part on this is that its because he wants more NIL money(allegedly). Rutgers has supposedly been doing really well with NIL on the hoops side locking up a really good 2024 class, or at least that's the speculation. Lots of smoke and mirrors in the NIL game from all sides it seems.

That is who I thought of early on when we were talking about the nova kid.

That may be. But, I don't think we want to fall into trying to win games by out shooting teams from the 3-point line. Would really like to see us dictate our style of play onto the opponent.

If you get a team that can play a good zone it can be an issue. That said going 3 guards or even 4 to force the zone to defend the drive from all sides you can still dictate. Most of these teams are slow on rotations and leave driving lanes.

If you have the opponent having to adjust mid game for you- you are doing something right. That is a shift over the past 4 to 5 years too.