2023 Coaching Carousel | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about recency bias. Nothing against him, but he has one year as a D-1 head coach, at a low-major, and produced a sub-300 ranking. If not for that one game last week I doubt Iona would even answer his agent's calls. I hope he proves me wrong though.
He was the runner up when they hired Pitino in 2020. Dude won tons of games at D2 STAC.

Very little recency bias.

Talk about recency bias. Nothing against him, but he has one year as a D-1 head coach, at a low-major, and produced a sub-300 ranking. If not for that one game last week I doubt Iona would even answer his agent's calls. I hope he proves me wrong though.
Yeah, this has nothing to do with recency bias. Anderson is a legit coach.

FDU names Jack Castleberry head coach. Also was an assistant at Siena as was Tobin Anderson, the man he replaced who is the new coach at Iona.

His dad was the head coach at Siena in the early 80's before Mike Deane and at St Joe's. Congrats to his son.
I thought that was a familiar name (as a Siena alum). Thanks for the information.

I think the bias is on your part, ignoring his prior coaching record.

I understand what you are saying. He also took a 4 win program and turned them into a 20 win team in one year and beat a number 1 seed. I guess what I’m saying is you can look at it both ways. Definitely a gamble, but not many options for a MAAC school. He also has the best job in that conference and is close to his recruiting area. Could be a grand slam hire. Could be a disaster.

Last edited:
Think I might fade Providence every game until English gets fired

Notre Dame has real challenges in basketball but it’s a much better bball brand than PSU. Micah should hold out for a better offer in a year or two (I think he’s gonna continue to be good) and just make sure he has a good escape hatch with the Penn State contract (not a crazy buyout).

Notre Dame has real challenges in basketball but it’s a much better bball brand than PSU. Micah should hold out for a better offer in a year or two (I think he’s gonna continue to be good) and just make sure he has a good escape hatch with the Penn State contract (not a crazy buyout).
Penn State has made a pretty serious commitment to basketball over the last 5 years or so. They used to not care one iota and their facilities reflected it. Notre Dame is also presumably appealing because it's where Shrewsberry is from.

Not identical situations, but if Dennis Gates can get $4M/year from Missouri like he just signed for, I think Shrewsberry would command something similar from Penn State and Notre Dame.

25CEE4F9-9B42-4B10-81D8-EDC241048997.jpeg

BTW, I've heard from someone who knows people in his family that this was discussed before FDU beat Purdue. I've read he interviewed for the job when Pitino got it.

I don't like that some of our rivals/peers have made some fantastic hires. Even UB looks like they will be as well.

Red better be the guy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom