Thanks for the insight. It sounds like the SSDM position is going from this:

Aviles, Rice
Murphy, Rosa
Trujilio

to something like this:
Rice, Rosa
Titus, Trujilio
Spallina, Kempney

Sounds like if nothing else there will be more depth. SU really struggled when Aviles was hurt last year, and I believe, seemed to only rotate about three guys when he was out. Sounds like they could reasonably deploy six guys this year. I like Rice as a defender. He is not the best at groundballs however and even if he doesn't take wings this year he'll havhe to work on that part of his game. I agree with others who find Rosa's athleticism lacking a bit. He is beyond gritty however and I can see why coaches like him.

Kempney seems like the biggest x factor. Spallina looks like a good athlete, and I can definitely see him excelling as a wing player. Titus I don't know much about other than his DIII accolades. It will be a jump for him but I think he should be at least as good as Murphy was last year. Trujilio looked like he struggled a bit last year in limited playing time but perhaps with a year under his belt he will get some confidence. He was a Top 100 recruit, which you don't see often from SSDMs.

There doesn't seem to be a Peter Dearth\Kevin Drew type guy who can shut down his matchup. Perhaps Kempney grows into that role with some time. I also wonder if the shorties will get more license to push it in transition. When Gait took over he said he wanted to get back to Syracuse's run and gun ways, but as some have stated, Petro really didn't want his shorties playing offense. With Kempney, Rosa and Titus and Spallina it seems they would have some guys who could do some damage. Not sure if it's something that Odierna focuses on.
It's great to have a Dearth AA type SSDM but all u really need is 4 solid ones. In fact have to have 4 solid ones. The past two yrs SU hasn't had 4. Two yrs ago Rice was a freshman moving from O middie and was confused in Petros system then had Rosa and Dami on 2nd line who were both slow. Last yr Aviles went down early so had two solid then Rosa and Trujillo who wasn't ready yet so Petro wore down Rice and Murphy. Then Aviles came back and had 3 solid but we all love Rosa but know he's to slow for fast ACC middies so then Petro wore down Rice and Aviles while teams picked on Rosa. Just one weak guy and teams will expose him. This yr Titus has to step up with Rice then between Kempey, Spallina or Trujillo 2 have to come thru and be solid on that 2nd line. If not then Stevens has to play some D. I feel like all 5 will be solid tho honestly. Trujillo struggled last yr but it's a big jump for a shorty from HS to ACC play. I think this yr hopefully he put some muscle on and is ready to go. If 4 can be solid not great just solid then it will make a huge difference and the D will be much better. Short sticks will get beat sometimes because there attacked all game long but if 4 can play solid D it will make a huge difference. I feel bad with Rosa like I'm putting the kid down because he has such heart it's just if this team is ready to compete in May and make a run to MMD wknd then they need 4 fast, athletic solid shortys. If all 5 end up solid man that would be big. Especially for any injuries.

“Wore down” during 1 game? In a controlled environment like the Dome?

Hard to grasp that when guys should be used to running 4 to 5 games during a weekend in the summer heat.

If that is true it says more about the players preparation during the year than it does about the coach. Some guys work all year round on their fitness some don’t.

HS guys do have a jump to ACC play and in my opinion so does a guy like Titus.

Stevens is one of the best wing players in the country (short sticks) and SU has been a mess on the wings for the better part of a decade, it would be malpractice for him not to be the lead shorty on the wings.

Agree on stevens playing defense, I assume he will get caught there a few times but I don't see him getting regular runs barring perhaps a matchup issue SU feels he can solve for a one off against say ND or UVA. Even then as Nyclax has pointed out he hasn't played D full time or for extended minutes since his frosh year, hard to now ask him to play there a majority of the time.
I am a princeton alum, so I try to find every game. Stevens has played defense in many situations. Not a regular because he is so valuable on offense, but very capable against anyone and extremely athletic. He could handle periods at ssdm if he were needed, I assure you. He is also a strong nasty player on the defensive end, not just when he's caught, but also for periods as a sub, something he has done many times. If asked, he could probably handle a long stick. I may be gushing here, nevertheless I would have handed him a long stick like Desko handed Joel White and watched him stay on the field all game.

Hard to grasp that when guys should be used to running 4 to 5 games during a weekend in the summer heat.

If that is true it says more about the players preparation during the year than it does about the coach. Some guys work all year round on their fitness some don’t.

Worn down was the wrong word just didn't mix it up enough so playing tired ur not at full speed. A DM does a lot of running between covering and clearing. I just like mixing em more and having em fresh the end of the game.

I also agree it's gonna be a big jump for Titus. If he's a stud he will be able to handle it. I look at Cross Ferreira now not comparing them but he jumped from D 3 to the PLL and fit right in. So if Titus is as good as he shown at the D 3 level he should be at least a solid DM in the ACC. Let's hope he is.

I am a princeton alum, so I try to find every game. Stevens has played defense in many situations. Not a regular because he is so valuable on offense, but very capable against anyone and extremely athletic. He could handle periods at ssdm if he were needed, I assure you. He is also a strong nasty player on the defensive end, not just when he's caught, but also for periods as a sub, something he has done many times. If asked, he could probably handle a long stick. I may be gushing here, nevertheless I would have handed him a long stick like Desko handed Joel White and watched him stay on the field all game.
If needed in a big game then they definitely should use him some at DM. If this team has an opportunity to make a run in the tournament then I'm sure he won't have any issues dropping back on D for the team.

Interesting comment that caught my eye as well. One would think that if things are planned out so much, that would make things easier for a defender? "If the ball goes to X, then you have to slide here". But I guess if something unexpected happens then all heck breaks loose. Or with so many variables it just becomes too confusing.

I think we had a discussion during last season that some defenders looked scared in Petro's system, that they became frozen in certain situations. I think hearing from Gait and some of the players this was indeed the case. I wouldn't say the players or Gait are "slamming" Petro but it does seem telling that they haven't gone out of their way to say how much they miss him.

My understanding of Oderina's coaching philosophy is to give the players the tools to make their own decisions. I keep thinking of Brendan Krebs saying that "Odierna gives you the tools to be your own boss". It seems like the players have been given some freedom to make to their own decisions, based on his coaching. Less pressure, and they make decisions that much quicker. I wouldn't expect them to say unkind things about their new coach, but they do seem genuinely happy playing for Oderina. We will see when the season starts for real.

I think this can lead to a lot of confusion, which is why often times guys are looking at each other with their hands out like - isn't that your go, no it's your go. right, like lacrosse isn't linear so I think the 'if this happens do this, if that happens do that' can break down because things happen fast. However, when kids are young and learning about slides and off ball defense the base teaching is 'to do this when this happens'. Like sliding aj from x or a coma slide and sliding crease from a top down dodge. So who knows. I'd love to be a fly on the wall to understand what's so complicated about a Petro D.

I think Odierna is just more of a players coach and maybe his delivery or the way he teaches is just more relatable. beats me.

They can have more freedom but at the end of the day there's a hot slide and a 2 slide (and understanding who's the 2 slide). You can't just be so 'free' you're undisciplined.

5. Syracuse's Leadership Question​

5 of 10
Slide Image

Midfielder Max Rosa and defenseman Caden Kol return as a co-captains from ‘23 and Will Mark has been on campus for a few years, but so many of the Orange's likely leaders this season (including Mark) are transfers. Grad students Sam English and Jake Stevens helped Princeton to the Final Four in 2022 and Christian Mulé and Matt Wright each have NCAA Tournament experience, as well. Teams that have seen grad transfers come in and lead — like Brian Tevlin, Chris Fake, Chris Conlin and Jack Simmons at Notre Dame last year — have also featured a bulk of seniors who've been on campus for four or five years (like Quinn McCahon, Griffin Westlin and Jose Boyer) who give the young guys “permission” to follow the newcomers. How smoothly that process unfolds may be the difference in whether the Orange successfully navigate that moment of adversity that separates the great teams and the true title contenders.

5. Syracuse's Leadership Question​

5 of 10
Slide Image

Midfielder Max Rosa and defenseman Caden Kol return as a co-captains from ‘23 and Will Mark has been on campus for a few years, but so many of the Orange's likely leaders this season (including Mark) are transfers. Grad students Sam English and Jake Stevens helped Princeton to the Final Four in 2022 and Christian Mulé and Matt Wright each have NCAA Tournament experience, as well. Teams that have seen grad transfers come in and lead — like Brian Tevlin, Chris Fake, Chris Conlin and Jack Simmons at Notre Dame last year — have also featured a bulk of seniors who've been on campus for four or five years (like Quinn McCahon, Griffin Westlin and Jose Boyer) who give the young guys “permission” to follow the newcomers. How smoothly that process unfolds may be the difference in whether the Orange successfully navigate that moment of adversity that separates the great teams and the true title contenders.

Curious if Spallina might get named Captain. As a true sophomore it would be pretty unheard of, but he already seems like the leader of the offense. Have to imagine if not this year then next. Hiltz doesn't strike me as a very communicative type, but there are other ways to lead.

Feels like one of the higher profile players for the Orange should be a captain. Olexo? Rice? When looking at "homegrown" players it's hard to find many veterans that are for sure starters next year. It's still striking how young this team is when you look at contributors. Mark would make a lot of sense.

Jake Stevens was a captain for Princeton last year. Given that Cole Kirst was a captain for the Orange last year as a grad student there would be precedent for it.

Curious if Spallina might get named Captain. As a true sophomore it would be pretty unheard of, but he already seems like the leader of the offense. Have to imagine if not this year then next. Hiltz doesn't strike me as a very communicative type, but there are other ways to lead.

Feels like one of the higher profile players for the Orange should be a captain. Olexo? Rice? When looking at "homegrown" players it's hard to find many veterans that are for sure starters next year. It's still striking how young this team is when you look at contributors. Mark would make a lot of sense.

Jake Stevens was a captain for Princeton last year. Given that Cole Kirst was a captain for the Orange last year as a grad student there would be precedent for it.
Will Mark should be a captian. He's well respected and just look at his post game interviews last season he's a true leader. Olexo would seem like a good candidate and if Stevens came into fall ball and started leading right away like Kirst then can see him too. Idk if he is a leader like Kirst that kid is just a special dude. Man seeing him handing out waters and cheering his team on when he didn't dress in his first few PLL games was unbelievable. They don't make many like that kid. Very impressive he is and so easy to root for. I met him before a game last yr and told him he's one of my favorite players to watch and he just thanked me and smiled and kept saying I really appreciate it. I even told his mother after in the stands what an amazing kid she has. I told her about him sticking up for the face off unit while everyone was bashing them. Can't say enough nice things about him.

Last edited:
i cant stress enough that he has no clue what hes talking about
What I ACTUALLY SAID "I believe that because this is his last season, and he's so valuable as a wing player, it's very possible that Syracuse brutalizes him and uses him ALL OVER THE FIELD". Where I wasn't sure if that would happen or not was due to Princeton using him less in those utility roles last year than they had in years prior. So I followed up with a point about Cuse maybe trying to conserve his legs where whatever depth they do have is sufficient. He's probably our best overall player, both offensively and defensively. That's not even close to a hot take.

So unless you can actually constructively break down what I said in a manner that makes me regret it, I'm going to go with thinking I watch enough college lacrosse, have coached enough lacrosse and played enough lacrosse to make your comment that "I have no clue what I'm talking about" sound kind of stupid and petty.

What I ACTUALLY SAID "I believe that because this is his last season, and he's so valuable as a wing player, it's very possible that Syracuse brutalizes him and uses him ALL OVER THE FIELD". Where I wasn't sure if that would happen or not was due to Princeton using him less in those utility roles last year than they had in years prior. So I followed up with a point about Cuse maybe trying to conserve his legs where whatever depth they do have is sufficient. He's probably our best overall player, both offensively and defensively. That's not even close to a hot take.

So unless you can actually constructively break down what I said in a manner that makes me regret it, I'm going to go with thinking I watch enough college lacrosse, have coached enough lacrosse and played enough lacrosse to make your comment that "I have no clue what I'm talking about" sound kind of stupid and petty.
no thats ok, i stand by it

no thats ok, i stand by it
If you two want to snipe at each other, do it elsewhere.

Disagreement or constructive criticism? Find a different way to do it.

Thanks.

Most here just believe SU will use him a lot on the wing being how faceoffs really cost the team a chance to make the tournament last yr. The difference in possessions agajnst top teams was completely ridiculous and as the D wasn't great it still spent way to much time on the field which only hurt them. If Will Mark wasn't such a good goalie SU would have gotten blown out in many games. Look at the first Duke game they had double the possessions and shots. SU still lost in OT as Will played incredible. They also took the lead over Notre Dame in the Dome then the offense didn't touch the ball for most of the 4th Q. The FOGOs should be improved this yr but just alone with Stevens on the wing will improve that unit immensely. Imrpoved offense, improved Defense, improved Face off unit and a highly motivated goalie playing his final season of college lacrosse hungry to help his team win a championship. I also think Stevens wants to win in his final yr so will do anything asked of him. Especially he's a good O middie but his path to getting drafted in the PLL is as a two way middie and play the wing like a Zach Currier type player.. With so many extremely talented O middies in the PLL I think that's his best route. He will play offense, some D when needed and wing for SU. I just got excited writing that hahaha I can't wiat for the season to start.

Love that this team is committed to working everyday but what was up with these guys under Desko his last few seasons?

I think both regimes practiced up to the maximum number of hours allowed by the NCAA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom