2023 Fall Ball | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

2023 Fall Ball

From AcousticHoo on our board. I'll put this here since I can't find a better place to put it.

As best as I can determine, this is Hosei U in orange vs. Tokyo Metropolitan U Nippon Sports Science University (Nittadai) in white (late correction from a Hoo fan who was able to look closely at the video).

Last edited:
This could be of interest to you folks re: Hosei's team.

download.jpg

They are Under Armor unis though.

Just curious if anyone has any insight/predictions as to what the starting attack line and first two midfield lines might look like? Purely speculation on my part but I’ll go first…

Attack- Spallina, Mule, Hiltz.
1st Mid- English, Leo, Thomson.
2nd Mid- Stevens Rhoa, Birtwhistle.

I know Stevens will be used on the wing some. I think it’d be smart to play him on FOs/DMid a good bit. Then have him play somewhat sparingly with the 2nd mids as a dodger to create offense for Rhoa and Birt’s outside shooting.

There’s so much offensive versatility. Will be fun to see how guys are utilized.

Just curious if anyone has any insight/predictions as to what the starting attack line and first two midfield lines might look like? Purely speculation on my part but I’ll go first…

I know Stevens will be used on the wing some. I think it’d be smart to play him on FOs/DMid a good bit. Then have him play somewhat sparingly with the 2nd mids as a dodger to create offense for Rhoa and Birt’s outside shooting.

There’s so much offensive versatility. Will be fun to see how guys are utilized.
Think this could easily be the starters.

Would say Trey Deere sees some time either on man up, attack, or maybe second middie line. We had success putting our box background guys out there as middies last season with Thomson and Simmons. Think it is possible we get him out there in a similar role just to have him on the field.

I am most curious to see how we use Mule. Wonder if he will be a 100% full time attack or switch around a little like we did with Kirst and Simmons last season. Hiltz and Spallina are total locks.

Dark horse candidates to see some middie minutes are Tyler McCarthy, Tucker Kellogg, Gregory Elijah Brown, Tyler Cordez...maybe a couple more. Tough to take anyone out of that top 6 though. Feel very good about all those guys.

This is my guess as well. I think the biggest question at this point might be midfield pairings. I like Thomson and English being paired together, as I think they will have very good box connection (like how Thomson had it with Alex Simmons last year). Stevens seems like too good of a player to be on the second midfield, but that is where he played at Princeton, and he might relish being "the guy" of that unit.

It seems silly to keep English and Stevens separate given that they have spent their last eight or whatever years together at the same institution (Culver then Princeton), but I don't think they played on the same midfield very often for the Tigers.

The only thing I don't know if I love is Birtwistle and Rhoa being on the same midfield line, just given that they are similar players (big shooters, who can dodge but it maybe isn't their strength). I still like the idea of Mule moving the midfield and Birtwistle starting at attack, though we haven't been given any indication that would ever happen.

Would say Trey Deere sees some time either on man up, attack, or maybe second middie line. We had success putting our box background guys out there as middies last season with Thomson and Simmons. Think it is possible we get him out there in a similar role just to have him on the field.

I am most curious to see how we use Mule. Wonder if he will be a 100% full time attack or switch around a little like we did with Kirst and Simmons last season. Hiltz and Spallina are total locks.

Agree, I could see them running Mule out of the box a few series and putting Deere at attack to get him some minutes. They have Hiltz, Deere, Mule and Leo as lefties so seeing how they mix and match them should be interesting. All are natural attackmen. I do think there will be some mixing and matching as the season progresses, (just like last year).

The only thing I don't know if I love is Birtwistle and Rhoa being on the same midfield line, just given that they are similar players (big shooters, who can dodge but it maybe isn't their strength). I still like the idea of Mule moving the midfield and Birtwistle starting at attack, though we haven't been given any indication that would ever happen.
I think Rhoa is a quality dodger who will only improve there. Drew a good amount of slides for us as a freshman and some of his goals were unassisted off the dodge. Flat line speed maybe not as good as some but had some good footwork and moves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom